Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza L Sdn, AssWhite
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a new purchase of a mild steel Stromung single tip axleback and one Chicago winter I noticed the dark grayish exterior coating flaking off the piping and quickly turning to rust...I knew this would happen but not this fast.

So taking matters into my own hands I purchased one pint of Rust Bullet® Automotive, Metallic Gray rust inhibitor and sealer: Rust Bullet Site

Product is pretty straight forward to appily. Clean surface of any rust flaking, oils, chemicals, etc., stir rust bullet, appily with a chip brush in a cross hatch motion to item, let dry for est 2 hours, appily second coat...done!

In total it took about 4 hours yesterday to finish sealing the muffler, with 2 hour dry times in between the two coats applied.

Here's a before:

and after:

·
Registered
98rsti RallybluePearl
3,370 Posts
looks sick any pics of it installed after.. i would like to know the long term out come of this.

also do you think you could paint over that surface??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
subajay said:
looks sick any pics of it installed after.. i would like to know the long term out come of this.

also do you think you could paint over that surface??

Can I paint over Rust Bullet®, and if so what sort of paint should I use?
A: Yes, but it is not necessary unless you desire a color other than metallic gray. Rust Bullet® is protection in itself from sun, water, mechanical abuse and weather; however, we have successfully painted over it with almost every type of paint and coating. It is an excellent adhesion promoter and enhances the adhesive properties of any topcoat you may wish to apply.

Some night pics:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
subajay said:
that's sick thanks dood!!!!

does it smell funny yet?
When appilying the Rust Bullet product there is an odor, quite pleasing I might add :rolleyes: actually its not that bad. The muffler has absolutely no odor from the appilied Rust Bullet product other then typical exhaust fumes...it absorbs into the metal, seals, and is virtually indestructable...I couldn't even scratch through the surface with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1994 impreza L
126 Posts
you wouldn't happen to be marketing rust bullet would you? :)

seriously dope stuff though, does it come in black? Everything is better in black.

Plus, I'll bet you could sand it a bit to make that finish extra-badass looking.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mulcibre said:
you wouldn't happen to be marketing rust bullet would you? :)

seriously dope stuff though, does it come in black? Everything is better in black.

Plus, I'll bet you could sand it a bit to make that finish extra-badass looking.
Marketing it...haha...not at all...I just found a good product per my roommate's suggestion and it worked great.

Here is a link to their entire product line, there is a black:
www.RustBullet.com

They do not recommend sanding the finish, the second coat is the final sealing phase and you select the finish color you want from their line. It can always be painted to any custom color you want...I may paint it this weekend with a flat black to hide it a bit better.

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
there doesnt seem to be much talk about heat resistance. there is only one mention that it could take 314F continuously...

which isnt much, for an axle-back it might work, but for anything closer to the engine it will be problematic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
homer09 said:
there doesnt seem to be much talk about heat resistance. there is only one mention that it could take 314F continuously...

which isnt much, for an axle-back it might work, but for anything closer to the engine it will be problematic.
I agree. Don't try using on headers, downpipes, intermediate pipes, etc....but do use on those pesky undercarriage chassis areas thet tend to rust early (ie. behind rear bumper cover, front bumper beam)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts