Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
RWD 99 Impreza OBS
4,457 Posts
I have taken mine off numerous times, take out the 2 bolts (left and right side). The handle has 2 tabs on the bottom that overlap the little lip on the actual door. Some of them take quite a bit of force to get out and put back in. I will be gone the next few days so I cant make up a DIY, but if you still haven't got them off my Sunday or Monday I will try to make on for you!

· Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,502 Posts
I mean, I pull on the door card thinking it will pop off, but no. Instead some kind of clip broke and I heard it land in my door. haha When I tug (gently) on the door card I see the metal bar/arm rest brace piece flex like a mother.

It scares me to pull more. I even turned the card from left to right, but still nothing.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean, I pull on the door card thinking it will pop off, but no. Instead some kind of clip broke and I heard it land in my door. haha When I tug (gently) on the door card I see the metal bar/arm rest brace piece flex like a mother.

It scares me to pull more. I even turned the card from left to right, but still nothing.
exactly what i did just that i did not break anything cos i could see clips holding onto the bars.
Did u manage to remove the nuts from the rear door handle?

· Registered
RWD 99 Impreza OBS
4,457 Posts
You take off the door card and you take you remove the nut that is closets to the inside of the car ----->

To remove the bolt on the other side <---- just unsrew these 3 screw and move that out of the way, grab and extension and the bolt is right in front of you and then screw em back in when you are done.

As far as the little rods, I assume you are talking about the ones actually connect to the handle. The very end of the rod has a 90* bend in it. That bend goes through a little white clip on the handle, Part of the clips extends down and "pops" around the rod. Just take a flat head screw driver and pop it up and then the rods will slide out.

Hope that helps, hard to explain without pics......:(

· Registered
RWD 99 Impreza OBS
4,457 Posts

Are you sure all the screws are removed? All my door cards came off with very little force. There is a screw on the door handle, towards the middle of the card on the left side I believe (cant miss it) a little circular clip thing that slides out in the front, and finally there is the one that is behind the window controls.

· Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,502 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'll just have to mess with it some more this weekend. Also, I've only tried on my rear passenger side door card. My interior is pretty much gutted right now because I'm updating the whole interior.

And fwiw, driving w/o a front passenger seat is choice. haha I lay my things down next to me, and on the rare occasion that I do get a passenger, people tell me they prefer it this way! Like it's a driving service or something. haha Plus I have a convex mirror so it's kind of funny like that.

Can't wait until it's done!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
pics? i got no problem with the front only those metal things that control the lock and all. the one that go strlaight down to a hole with blue plastic thing that cant be popped out.. now i think i figured the rear thanks to the pic.. just need to know the metal bar thing..
fot the front door metal bar i was tlking bout i saw the white clip but it doesnt seem to be able to pop out. no opennings..

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
1. Remove door panel - real easy
2. Disconnect all door linkage from the handle itself (it's been a while, but I think there is one for the opening mechanism and one for the locking mechanism) - again, not hard
3. Remove bolts securing handle.
4. I'm pretty sure you have to remove the lock cylinder as well, but I could just be remembering incorrectly since when I did it, I swapped cylinders.
5. Remove door handle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.