Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i was wonderin if any 1 can giv me the process they used on how to get ride of the front bumper plastic that the license plate bolts on to

i did a search but nothing rlly came up

wat tools did u use and is there any prep to do before cutting it off?

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
i haven't done it yet. but i want to. i would figure to use a saw/razor. sand paper, some fiber glass for filling in the hole. and then bondo and paint. but i am guessing.

james

·
Registered
2000, Impreza RS 2.5
75 Posts
I just used a dremel to remove the horrid license holder which perfectly blocks 50% of the draw space of the damn radiator mouth. I will add that beWARE.. if you don't have a high speed cut-off wheel or another way to remove body gauge aluminum then once you remove the plastic your going to find a VERY FIRM and reinforced plate that backs the license. I cut out the black plastic down from the upper lip to the middle plastic seperator and then removed the thick metal backing plate which was completely welded to the damn body.. It took me over 45 minutes to just cut the damn plate off and of course a few joints. Well none the less looks a HELL of a lot better and now I just place my license plate inside cabin on passenger side.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well instead of starting a new thread i figured i would revive this 1

so anyways my friend (owns a body shop) suggested i stay away from cuttin out the mouth so i dont affect bumper strength and suggested i so with my other option of painting it. so anyways has any1 actually painted the inside of the "mouth" themselves? if so how, did u make a line or literally jus paint the horizontal support and license plate block

my cousin pointed out that he had a line to follow to show the painters where to paint, my must have been sanded smooth or somethin

·
Registered
2000, Impreza RS 2.5
75 Posts
I suppose you could paint it but the only reason I even removed this ugly license plate holder is for the actual flow function of the radiator. If your doing this for cosmetics only then why even waste your time? In Texas they actually require you to have your front license plate displayed at all times so unless your improving functions of cooling why deal with the cops pulling you over on occasion for putting the plate in the front windshield and getting warnings all the time. Just not worth it. As far as bumper strength it hardly effects the bumper. There is a metal black beam that runs vertically down the middle of the radiator and another pastic beam that runs horizontally where the pastic bumper bolts to the beam. The removal of the upper portion of the bumper to the lip doesn't alter the strength enough to cause need for worry. Just be sure to keep this black plastic diffusior that runs horizontally across the mouth. If you do remove it all then you could notice some bumper sagging from the lower lip. You will need a steady hand and some patience sanding the cuts so it doesn't look like you chopped it all up from near. I can get pics of mine if anyone here thinks it would be helpful>?

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump for pics

i basically want tit gor cosmetics but pretty much afraid to cut into it

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
Bump for function over form. :)

Are there any other ways to remove it by not cutting it?

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wat u mean by other ways to remove it other then cutting? I guess u can melt it away with a zippo and ur fav drink and make urself a human flamethrower

·
Registered
2000, Impreza RS 2.5
75 Posts
ok well i'll take pics of my ride this weekend and try to get you some decent angular shots so you can see what I did.

·
Registered
2000, Impreza RS 2.5
75 Posts
Here are those Pics of my font bumper with the removed license plate holder. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,403 Posts
had to.

i cut that sucker out when i was painting the car. high powered grinding wheel FTW

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,403 Posts
YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO COMPLETELY REMOVE YOUR FRONT BUMPER and work from there

sorry it's all in caps

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey bigwig
did u follow the line when cutting it or jus cut the ribbing out and patch it or wat

·
Registered
2000, Impreza RS 2.5
75 Posts
BIGWIG your pic looks PHOTOSHOPed... thier appears to be no radiator and the line between the body paint and the black is very uneven. Not to mention the inconsistency in the shadows... Did you touch it up? or what?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts