Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering if this write up was still up on this board sumwhere, i would like to do it, the green RS with the old bumper + home depot lip looked clean, thx

·
Registered
208 Posts
Materials needed
- Frost King garage door bottom seal. (I got the material at Home Depot for $8. Its called Frost King. I got the 8ft length.)

- Misc socket sizes. I think 10mm is the size you need but I'm not sure.
- Flat head screwdriver
- About 80 1/2" length screws and/or bolts
- Drill and a 5/32 drill bit
- Painters tape

This is what I did.

- Remove the headlights, corner lights and the grill. Remember when removing the grill to push the tabs near the headlights in with the screw driver so you it would be easy to remove.

- You'll see that there are 5 plastic retaining pins that hold the bumper at the top. You can take a screwdriver and lift up the round part and pull the pin out. (See the 1st attachment)

- Removing the bumper. There are a couple plastic screws in each fender that holds the inner fender lining to the bumper. Also there is one bolt at each corner at the top that holds the bumper to the fender. (See 2nd attatchment) The easiest way for me was to turn the wheel either left or right all the way to get access to the bolt and screws. There are screws under the bumper that you need to remove and one more screw behind the liscence plate close to the radiatior.

- When you remove the bumper place it on a towels so you won't damage the paint.

- I didn't cut the material until I got to the end of the install. Now find the edge at the bottom of the bumper that you want use. It would probably be a good idea to get some painters tape to define the line so it would be wasy to follow when you start installing the lip.

- Once that edge is defined get the garage door bottom and put it at the edge. You're going to want to use the short part of the garage door lining to attatch to the bumper. Once they're both lined up take your drill and either drill your first hole for the bolt or just screw it in a 1/2 inch from the fender part of the. I used both nuts and bolts first then once I started to run out I started using short screws. Screws are much quicker for the install but I think the bolts would hold better. Make every hole or screw 1 inch apart because it will be hold the lip to the bumper better.

- When you get to the corners of the bumper make a 45 degree cut the part of the material that you are going to attatch to the bumper. This will make it easier to form that corner so it won't look warped.

- Once that is all finished and you get to the other end of the bumper just cut the material making sure that both ends of the lip are even.

Hopefully I was able to help out. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

CJ

Attachments

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
damn my crappy home depot (which i subsequently work at). We dont have the frost king stuff, and the only stuff we have is soft rubber (which would look pretty crappy at highway speeds, deforming and everything).

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, Asp
885 Posts
that's sweet. i'm going to reinforce my already-too low JUN replica bumper with this and that way i'll know when i'm about to scrape.

·
Registered
2000 BRP GC6
278 Posts
K rock impreza nice write up!! :)

i wish i had the king frost garage door when i did my home depot racing lip and i took the time to take off the bumper and drill more holes (i only drilled 10 holes)~ :p

your car is hot

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a "Home Depot lip" myself but made out of alluminum (90 degree) angle and needless to say, gets scraped all the time! As a matter of fact, it just got pretty damaged while being towed onto a flat bed tow truck. I'm going to rebuild it or replace it with the same but the rubber lip that K-Rock did is a good idea for reinforcing or enhancing the look of any type of lip/bumper. I am also going to check with a local Southern Cali "rubber company" called VIP Rubber and Plastic. They can manufacture many if not "all" kinds of extrusions and rubber moldings. They're in La Habra 1-800-722-4vip or [email protected] (I think they work nation-wide). Gotta check their prices and see which is more convenient. I don't have ways of showing pictures of my lip but my project is a bit more complicated...I had to jig-saw many cuts to the alluminum angle to adquire the curves/bends and contour of my '02 Rex bumper. I probably spent about $28.00 all-together but a LOT of time...I think it was worth it though, but gotta get some rubber at the edge. GOOD JOB K-ROCK!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Brings me back to the old days of honda tunning. PVC intakes, Garden Liner Body Kits and so much more. Thats a nice job, looks oem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice job, may consider trying this..unless I can find a new bumper cover (anyone?).

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread either, but how did you mount those big a$$ fogs in the middle of that old bumper?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 230 Posts