Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 2.5rs
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I will be leaving the country for 6 months to pursue an internship abroad. During that time my car will not be used so i would like to store it in the family garage.

There are quite a few guides on the net but many have different and sometime contradictory information. I though i would also check in with the many knowledgeable people here.

How do you recommend i prep the car for home storage?

thanks

·
Registered
07 subaru outback LLbean H6
1,258 Posts
Jack stands take tires off. Full tant of gas so it could be started from time to time. disconnect the battery. I would set some mice traps becasue with the colder weather coming they are going to be looking for a home as well.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
Jack stands take tires off. Full tant of gas so it could be started from time to time. disconnect the battery. I would set some mice traps becasue with the colder weather coming they are going to be looking for a home as well.

+1, but if it can't be started i'd drain the tank

Rafal

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
fuel stabilizer, jack stands... block your intake piping and exhaust piping so nothing can go in. Hopefully mice dont chew threw your wiring harness...

·
Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,274 Posts
^ All this happened to me. Don't leave the car outside. Close your windows, put cling free sheets in your interior (gets mice out of there), put the car on jackstands, disconnect the battery.

Close your heater vent so its only recirculating inside air.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
fuel stabilizer, jack stands, full tank of gas so you dont get condensation in there, cover intake and exhaust, disconnect battery, and dryer sheets in the interior.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
Drain your oil, tranny fluid and coolant? Dunno, just intuition...
no bad... it allows moisture to rot everything. bearings will be toast, and alot of corrosion in the complete systems because of the aluminum, major rust on steel/cast iron.

ask me how i know. had to build a completely new engine for my 78 chevy truck after storing it for 14month while i was out of state at college. oh well it now has 510WHP and 596WTQ.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I've let my RS sit for 2 6-month periods. One time it was left in the driveway and the other time it was left in the garage. I left the worst wheels/tires I had so I wouldn't care about flat spots (didn't get any either). Car was started every 2 or so weeks and driven around the block (no plates or insurance). No fuel stabilizer was added.

6 months isn't a terribly long time unless you never start or drive the car. I'm gearing up for another 6-month time period with the RS off the road and am contemplating more preperation because I won't be around as much to start the car.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
If the car has valvecover gasket /oil pan gasket leaks, I'd make sure to make sure there's some oil before starting when returning from your trip.

·
Registered
2005,Impreza RS Black Pearl
13 Posts
I've stored cars in my shop for longer than 6 months with great results.. Drain fuel or add Stabilizer, Fresh oil change, Pull plugs and shoot oil down the cylinder to eliminate rings from freezing up 1 Tbs, Cover exhaust and intake with a rag and then plastic, Jack Stand the vehicle, and finally put a paper plate on the floor of the car the with a 1/2 cup of baking soda. the paper plate and soda will draw any moisture out of the air. if possible always put a cover over the vehicle or sheets..

Best of luck.

·
I Miss My OBS..
07 Legacy Spec.b
981 Posts
I'm having to park mine for about 4 months. Unfortunately, I'll have to leave it outside, and my driveway is slightly uphill. So, no jacks. How probable are flat spots and suspension sag?

EDIT:

Also, thinking of chocking it instead of putting on the brake. I've had too many nightmares with rust frozen brakes!

·
Registered
05' Silver RS
686 Posts
I have a pathfinder that sits for periods I try to drive it every other month or so.

For 6 months the only thing I'd worry about is the battery. If it could be started every once in awhile to charge it then it's all good. If it can't be started then just disconnect it and make sure you have a charger for when you need to start it.

Also if you use mineral based motor oil you'll want to change it when you get home.
Flat spots are unlikely after only 6 months, modern tires aren't nearly as bad as the old bias ply ones, but some stories persist.

As far as the rodent problem..... depends on where you live I guess.

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
car cover for sure to protect paint from dust and dirt. Or the sun if you're leaving it outside (not all of us are lucky enough to have a garage)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts