Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Sedan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. How do you replace the ashtray light bulb? I bought an LED to replace it but I'm not sure how to get to the bulb. Do you have to remove the center consle? I couldnt find a DIY of how to remove the center consle either, only pictures of it removed.

And for the license plate lights, I see two screws to the cover of the bulbs. After I removed those two screws, the cover still wont budge out. Are those the only 2 screws or is there one more hidden somewhere?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
Year/Make/Model of car would be helpful.

Old Dash - unscrew stick shift knob off. Push in shift boot, to unhook it off the little plastic tabs. Then pull it out. 2 screws holding the surround in place. Pull it out from the back. Yank cup holder out, 2 screws behind it, holding the face surround. Now, I don't remember if the ashtray was even part of it. Course, I don't even remember if there is even a light bulb for the old style dash's ashtray.

New Dash - yank the top of the face surround, it pops right out. Ashtray is part of it. Should be 2 plugs for the cigarette lighter and light. From there, haven't a clue how you replace the bulb.

I don't know about license plate light. Never had to replace it. Course, never had to replace an ashtray light either.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
I don't think the old dash has the light, but I know the new dash does.

·
Registered
'99 BDP Impreza RS
1,270 Posts
Well, I didn't know the hazard and rear defrost switch had lights in them, and they've been burned out since I bought the car in '08. I guess that one's burned out too. :unamused:

A DIY bulb swap would be cool! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.