Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
2,176 Posts
One thing, if you overtighten the new pads, you can feel them binding on the window and the window motor has to overcome it.

Go back an loosen them a little. You can tell you have then the right tightness basically right before they start to impeded the window movement. If you just tighten them all the way they WILL bind on the window.
just finished my drivers side...and yet i think i over tightened it a lil too much. i should have done what aqua cw done...wash the pads...but yeah..faux fur is impossible to find locally. even went to my local arts & craft store, just get the felt at walmart.

glw this guys...:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
DIY complete, thanks for writeup! BTW, the outermost pad was a PITA to remove, I ended up having to wrench on it with a pair of pliers to get it out. If the folks who haven't done this yet want to make it easier to remove for the next time, sand down the plastic on the ends of the clip. It should end up being smooth and rounded on the edges.

·
Registered
'99 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
656 Posts
Getting ready to do this. I have some stick-on felt that already has glue (Albeit not too strong). Would the felt be thick enough, or do I need to use longer-stranded stuff like fake fur?

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
Same! My windows are so bad though too because of the pads– Would like the replace them next summer.

Also I think I may be missing some pieces that hold the glass more firmly, so I'll have to do a little door inventory check at some point!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
Just did mine today!

I used some sticky back velcro (the soft stuff) to replace mine, simple, easy, effective!

if i can find some furry stuff later i will for sure use that. my pads were wore down to the plastic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm goint to try this soon, as well as trying to fix the scratches. Why did you choose that material as opposed to anything else?

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
^^ its glass, and i have the same scratches, there is no fixing them. best to get new windows.

·
Registered
'97 Impreza OBS - "Mishka"
8 Posts
I'm sure you could use something similar to the stuff used to fill chips in your windshield... only question is, can you find it locally? That clear nailpolish was a good idea though... might be a good "fix" for some mild scratches.

I've got scratches on my rear driver's side (I've got an OBS), and some starting on the front passenger's side. I worked on this last night, but I did it slightly differently: My pads weren't completely terrible, so when I took them out I started playing around with them and found out they were just matted down due to crud, so I started scraping some of it off. Most of the "fur" was intact, so I ended up washing one of them off with dish soap. Worked pretty well, and after drying it on a towel it was almost as good as the faux fur I bought (but a hell of a lot less work). I ended up just washing all the little pads and putting them back in. I'm actually going to go to the dealer to ask how much these bits are... I talked to them yesterday, and they said the outside bits (the plastic ones) may only be a couple bucks each, so those I may get originals for, and use the faux fur in the inside ones if I have to.

As for the weatherstripping: I couldn't pry it off, and I didn't want to break the clips, so the way I got them off was (with the window rolled down): Remove the huge rubber seal at the rear of the door and remove the little Phillips head screw (the rear doors on the OBS, and probably the sedans, have another screw at the front of the door too). Then, working from the outside of the door, locate the first white plastic clip (rearmost one). Take a small flathead screwdriver (you may wish to wrap it in electrical tape or something to prevent paint scratches), and insert it just before the clip (towards the back). You don't want to pry up the clip, just the weatherstripping. Now, twist/pry out the weatherstripping slightly with the screwdriver, and, with your other hand, press down firmly on the weather strip, right over the clip. The base of the weatherstripping on the outside looks like a J, with the lower part curved towards the door, This fits underneath the while clips. When you press down, the weatherstripping should flex down far enough so the inside edge clears the white clip, and the pressure from the screwdriver will pop it off. You should hear a little pop, and the lower edge of the while clip should be visible from under the weatherstrip. Do this for the other two (there's only three per door on the OBS), and you're good to go. To reinstall, just line up the weatherstrip, push it on, and give it a good solid whack over each clip to get them to engage.

One final note: If you've never cleaned the inside of your weatherstripping, now's the time to do it... Mine felt hard and gritty, and I thought the rubber was just old. I took a J-cloth with some soap and water and rubbed the inside of the weatherstrip, and it was a huge difference. Went from feeling like an old tire to new suede. I think the scratches on my front passenger's window are actually from the weatherstripping than the pads, as the scratches are about 2" forward of the pads. Just remember to do both the outside weatherstripping and the section on the door panel.

·
Registered
2001 Black RS Coupe
58 Posts
I didn't come across the part number in this thread and I had to buy a new one because i found one of them had its clips broken and it was found super glued and it worked well. Personally, I wanted to replace it. Cost around 18 bucks at my dealership.

For those who want to reference:
Part# 61256FE020

·
Registered
OBS to 04 Forester xs
659 Posts
free bump for an awesome DIY... need to do this to my Forester

·
Registered
00 Impreza 2.5 RS BRP
137 Posts
How did everyone get the outer 3rd one out toward the rear of the coupe door? I've been trying for 2 days & still haven't been able to get it out :bonk:

·
Registered
99 Black Mica Pearl 2.5 Coupe
4 Posts
I cant see the pics on this thread, anybody have pics as reference? I want to do this before getting retint

·
Registered
2001 Black RS Coupe
58 Posts
How did everyone get the outer 3rd one out toward the rear of the coupe door? I've been trying for 2 days & still haven't been able to get it out :bonk:
Could you provide a pic? I think I was able to get everything out. You may need a tool with angle or a smaller one?

I cant see the pics on this thread, anybody have pics as reference? I want to do this before getting retint
It's been a while since i've done this, but below shows where screws are to remove the trim. Just pop it off slowly with tape around a flat head when the screws are out. I forgot if you need to roll the window down or up. I think it was down, but just leave the trim on when you roll up or down (correct me if im wrong). Everything else is pretty easy once you see it, but feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
00 Impreza 2.5 RS BRP
137 Posts
I ended up forcing it out. The 3rd one is glued to the door tight; pressing the tabs & pulling just didn't work for me. Prying really really hard did.

Future reference for others:

·
Registered
00 Impreza 2.5 RS BRP
137 Posts
I put dental floss around the new ones to help with future removal should the tabs break, and I didn't glue the 3rd one when putting the new one in.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts