Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm still playing with mine. Having some issue with it not going into open loop consistently. Car is driving, boosting and fun though.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I've been working on HPTuners for the first time lately. 17-18mpg so far in a 7,000lb work truck. 5.3L.

Not sure if I can explain the shifting IAM. Mine does the same thing, depending on conditions.

I'll be swapping my TPS shortly and picking this back up again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey ImprezaRSC I got an email from Project lambda which helped explain it:

"On your ECU the IAM is initialized to 0. If no knock is detected it will increase gradually to 1.0 and vice versa if knock is detected."

·
Registered
144 Posts
Guys, been having an issue that I think you may have insight on. Im running an ej251 with a TD04, so on partial throttle I can get into boost. Unfortunately we can't put the VE past 100%, so I end up running at 14.7. I'd prefer to keep it a bit richer just to stay safe. One option is to put my open loop enable at like 5-10% throttle but then you loose out on the niceness of having closed loop functions. I was thinking if you can adjust the airflow and load scalar so that the new "stoich" is around 13.7. Then you can adjust the VE table as needed to lean it out for idle/cruise areas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey danscomp,

What injectors are you using? What fuel pump? what boost pressure?

On my setup, I dealt with what you're dealing with. After beating my head against the wall for a while, i just increased load scalar (left airflow alone) from around .035ish to .0402ish. Now I can go as rich as I want.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, I'm running the 420CC WRX blue injectors, walbro 255lph pump and I peak at 8 psi right now.

At the moment I'm driving it with the open loop transition at 15% throttle input so I'm cruising rich. Not ideal. My current load scalar is 0.04819 as per Michael's suggestion.

What's your setup?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, I'm running the 420CC WRX blue injectors, walbro 255lph pump and I peak at 8 psi right now.

At the moment I'm driving it with the open loop transition at 15% throttle input so I'm cruising rich. Not ideal. My current load scalar is 0.04819 as per Michael's suggestion.

What's your setup?

·
Registered
23 Posts
danscomp

I have a 96 ej22 shortblock, ej205 heads, yellow top 500 injs, td04, apprx 15psi. I'm using a kemso 340lph fuel pump. This setup is powering a white 2000 Impreza Rs. Going up to Rallyfest this weekend at Team O'Neil, don't know where you from, but if you're close, come through.

I also have a cammed 2001 sedan RS 5mt that I am considering turboing. I have nearly everything I need to do it, so just trying to make up my mind.

Do you have a youtube channel? It'd be cool to see how your car moves. Mine is Immortan Jon. I have a few clips there.

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
danscomp

I have a 96 ej22 shortblock, ej205 heads, yellow top 500 injs, td04, apprx 15psi. I'm using a kemso 340lph fuel pump. This setup is powering a white 2000 Impreza Rs. Going up to Rallyfest this weekend at Team O'Neil, don't know where you from, but if you're close, come through.

I also have a cammed 2001 sedan RS 5mt that I am considering turboing. I have nearly everything I need to do it, so just trying to make up my mind.

Do you have a youtube channel? It'd be cool to see how your car moves. Mine is Immortan Jon. I have a few clips there.

Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know the EJ22's can take boost better, but is that 15psi on stock non turbo internals? Cause that thing must damn fast.

I don't have anything on youtube, couple videos on Instagram (dave_blr).

Honestly if your NA runs well I wouldnt bother, because you have a fast boosted one. I don't daily drive mine since it sucks back 94 octane waaay to quick.

So I'm thinking if I increase the load scalar a tiny bit (~5%) then I can pull fuel out of the part throttle tunes? Anyone try it?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
22e ALL the things.

my 300k+ 22e is rocking 11psi on 95% stock everything. only changed the fuel pump to a walbro255 and made an intake for das turbo. i didnt even boost it til, it was ~275k

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Guys, been having an issue that I think you may have insight on. Im running an ej251 with a TD04, so on partial throttle I can get into boost. Unfortunately we can't put the VE past 100%, so I end up running at 14.7. I'd prefer to keep it a bit richer just to stay safe. One option is to put my open loop enable at like 5-10% throttle but then you loose out on the niceness of having closed loop functions. I was thinking if you can adjust the airflow and load scalar so that the new "stoich" is around 13.7. Then you can adjust the VE table as needed to lean it out for idle/cruise areas. Any suggestions?
ve can be kept below 100% by fudging injector scaler

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
I changed my old TPS today. Time to retune. Fuel trims are mildly out of whack, but that's the price of tuning on a bad or weak sensor. A bad o2, weak coil, or old cam + crank sensors could cause issues, too. If in doubt, change it. This was the oldest sensor on the combo.

I see a change in the datalogs after just changing that sensor and nothing else. Transitional throttle needs a little more work. The throttle response feels predictably weird.

Do the little nick-nacks in the configuration menus do you guys any good? I think they're useful with swaps, but I have not found a real advantage with power or tuning using them. Mine gets upset with the VSS and high rpm fuel cut turned off. It misfires and surges in trailing throttle. But, turning off air injection was totally handy after I whacked that shit like a slick mafioso. I mention this after having spent a few months on HPTuners, which may be like apples to oranges. It has similar tricks that are handy for swaps, like turning off EGR solenoids and such.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
ImprezaRSC

How do you mean "angry with vss and high rpm fuel cut turned off"

what results do you get?
It misfires and surges in trailing throttle with those functions disabled. That could be my combination, though. This is not exactly a normal build.

Good news with some data logging this weekend. I can see a full sweep of the front o2 sensor, now. It used to just move a little and go pig rich to .695 lambda. Now it shows definitive movement. Fuel trims are happier with a slight lean out on the load scalar.

I keep trying to fit that round peg in a square hole, working on road tuning. With the racier open loop setting, it's just batshit crazy. Leave the closed loop temp alone and it tries to drive like a street car while sounding like a racecar. Up that temp setting and *BOOM* there's Mr. Hyde! A turbo in open loop should be just as crazy. There's no middle ground or getting the best of both worlds in one tune for me, so far. I'll see what else I can eke out now that the ECU is happier. I do closed loop tuning first with an eye on mileage...sorta.

121 - 140 of 242 Posts