Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess the speeduino 'looks' a bit more like a fancy ecu and tuning program compared to the BlueSSM? Plus it looks more like a proper stand alone (but megasquirt style) with programmable injector and ignitions I/O's.

Can anyone tell me what the projectlambda live tuning feature is like? I'm hoping to get this feature added to the ADM ecu soon, sounds like it would be a much quicker way of tuning vs the my usual datalog-review-change-load-start engine again-go driving etc.

Does it put more stress on the ecu chip itself? I'm a little conscious of the limited number of flash it seems to be able to do. Getting a spare ecu isn't too hard but transferring the license etc might take a while and put the car out of action.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There's been a big shift in the NA/T community to using Speeduino.

What's the opinions on Speeduino vs ProjectLamdba right now, and what are the pros/cons?
I'm also really interested. Right now ProjectLambda has all the stock ecu goodies plus the ability to adjust most options (and now with "launch control" and pops & bangs mode) so I'm not sure why go away to a completely standalone.

Curious to see the speeduino feedback

·
Registered
'99 RS Coupe
21 Posts
Limiters

Rev limiter so far is fairly useless. Doesn't work in gear.

We'll cover this more when they actually work. You can move high rpm fuel cut down, but not up at this point in time. I have it working in neutral, but not in gear. Bypassing the neutral safety switch and clutch switches did not work.
Has anyone made any progress on the rev limiter front?

I got the launch control working on my '99 last week, tons of fun!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Someone (maybe yourself? Gareth?) asked about this on the 'All Motor N/a Subarus" facebook page yesterday i think. Apparently it has and can be done no worries.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
I've got an EJ204 running in wastedCOP/batch fuel on a Speeduino with the 36-2-2-2 trigger. I started a journal and I do intend to write up the whole thing, but I'm still in the middle of cleaning up wiring enough that I feel like I can trust the car. In the meantime I'm happy to answer questions over at my journal (so as not to pull this thread too far off-topic).

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
6 Posts
I just picked up this software for my 2.5RS coupe ej251 sohc usdm, i'm going to start tuning for NA and then convert to td04 on low boost. I'll be vlogging this too. Just wanted to say great software so far, i'll report back my findings and diy vids if anyone is interested. #boostaholics

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll definitely be following your findings progress! Happy to send you any logs or maps from my car if you're interested!

Is #boostaholics on Instagram or YouTube or something??

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
6 Posts
its my youtube channel, ive been doing this since 2007. its around 220k subs mostly subaru content. but i digress

i got the cable today and started working with it. I like the software, its very good. the live tune feature is SO helpful.

So my mods are k&n filter, tsudo header and test pipe, and hks catback. I was able to make 148/146 whp/wtq today in 90*f at 100ft, on 87 octane. Since i dont have a dyno, i was conservative with timing and mainly focused on fuel. kept my lambda around .85, but did add some timing.

One issue i ran into was in the mid range, it stopped responding to fuel request and wouldnt get less than low .9's despite many attempts to add fuel. I think Ive possibly maxed out my fuel system already lololol

stock inj and fuel pump

im gonna drop in fuel pump and try to score some wrx inj and see if that helps. The fuel issue occurred around peak ve, while i did not log idc (not sure if it can or not i didnt look) but my ipw was around 13 lol. so Im pretty sure theyre drained

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
6 Posts
heres a photo of my dyno curve, u can see where my fuel goes lean. its the first dip on the torque curve

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzZg0b4n_zq/?igshid=1mfam5yz4ks49

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Danscomp,

I finally got my 560cc blue injectors installed and the car running. Its running alright but not great.

I noticed in your tune file that you are using the exact load and airflow scalars off the lambda website. I found that the dark blue figures might be slightly wrong. I believe the injectors are closer to 560-565cc and my car ran like shit with those settings.

I was getting +25% stft constantly and terrible idle. I ended up changing the load scalar from 0.036 to 0.04322 and the airflow was 2.0905. I am using the same injector slope and offset from the website.

Those changes at least brought my idle STFT down from +25 to <+5% and drivability has improved heaps, cold starting is still slow and requires a few cranks. Before it was super boggy down low, taking off required heaps of clutch and more than 2-2500rpm. Plus if revs dropped to 2000 or less when changing gear, you almost had to go back to first gear!

Now its much better but still very boggy.
Cruising at 55-60kmh + 9% throttle + 2250rpm + 39kpa manifold pressure = +21 to 25% STFT.

I don't know what my minimum pulse width is as I cannot adjust it.

It seems strange to me that I might have to increase the load scalar more? It will be miles from the settings on the website and what you're using. Plus my hot and cold idle trims look better than the old injectors now.

Edit - it will be interesting to see what the spark plugs look like after some more driving.

Edit 2: I upped the VE across the board (except idle areas), drove home and tried to do some 60km/h cruising to let the STFT do its thing. Logs look really good so far, less than 5% STFT. Still has some bogging down issues at 1500rpm'ish when driving slow in say 1st or 2nd gear.

Edit 3: After a bit more driving, it started to run a bit crap, chew through fuel, plugs looked borderline fouled. Backed it off to .0365 load scalar. Running much better! Bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband too, idle is bang on 14.7ish, anywhere under load is around 11.5-12:1 afr. Looking good and hoping to do a long 3rd or 4th gear up hill pull, shut it off and check the plugs again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Theres a few things going on. I dont think i can address evsrything right now. But heres a few recommendations.

1) Use the recommended load scalar

2) disable o2 feedback (set activate to 205c)

3) idle settings for some items need to manually changed when changing injector size / load scalar. The items basically need to be halved (280/560)

4) set your power mode fuel table to desired lambdas then, when warmed up, log lambda, absl kpa, & rpm (upstream o2 is a wbo2) and adjust your ve table til your real lambdas are close to desired.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Hatecrew, I was hoping to borrow dads zeitronix wideband sensor soon and see whats going on a bit more. My car only has 1 narrow band sensor.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
6 Posts
Id love to see it further developed. Ive been running it for a while now with great success. The car makes a power curve flat like a diesel, it was amazing how leaned out these things get from the factory. I changed my afr's to 14.4 cruise, 13.5 mid load, 12.5 wot upper. I did a very basic street tune and it made great improvements to throttle response, torque, and imo longevity of the motor. The factory afr's with bolt ons get very lean despite trims and learning, but with prohect lambda i was able to fix that. This thing may be NA but imo it fuggggin rips for no boost. Im constantly dusting traffic 🏇 vd said 151/148 , factory was 122/118👌👌👌👌

2000 2.5rs ej251 sohc
K&n intake /oe boxwith silencer delete
tsudo catless
tsudo uel
hks 3" exhaust

thats it! with those simple things and project lambda i made reliable gains.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Last time I talked with Mike he said he was working on a flex fuel update. That would be great to see.

I'd also like to see an antilag option similar to the Carberry Rom available for bugeye wrxs.

221 - 240 of 242 Posts