Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with my IAT calibration.

I had the plastic IAT separate from the MAP on my car (04 RS).

Since then I got the Delphi GM fast response IAT (spec sheet eBay

And I followed the calibration data from here Updated calibration for AEM and GM IAT Sensor - NASIOC

Granted I did a little thing in excel to help interpolate to the numbers we have set.

My problem is that when I put the key in after the car has been sitting for a while (3+ days), my coolant temp will read ~22C while my IAT is at 14C. Considering my garage is definitely above 14C....I'm not sure what the issue is.

Anyone else running the GM IAT?

·
Registered
144 Posts
With some awesome input from Hatecrewdeathroll, I was able to get a working table and have it sync up (or at least close enough) to my other sensors.

·
Registered
'99 RS Coupe
21 Posts
We spent a few hours on the rollers last night with the software and my 99 RS and it was eye opening. We didn't make a single change that resulted in any power unfortunately.

Most of the night consisted of trying to figure out what table fed what table and resulted in what change. Having two COBB ProTuners trying to un-learn everything we know about that software and trying to extrapolate that knowledge to this software took most of our time.

We finally learned that it would appear Power Mode is 180 degrees off what we thought it was doing but by then it was too late to make anymore pulls. After zeroing out every table we could find we were able to achieve the opposite desired result of the AFRs from 2k to 4,600 going crazy lean as we were trying to get that range to fatten up.

So far the software seems to work amazing, flashing isn't terribly slow (faster than COBB on the VA for sure!), and once we learn what is feeding what tuning should be a breeze, certainly an improvement from the SAFC the vehicle is using now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Trying to figure out what does what in the software is what I've been trying to do since I bought it! My fuel trims are like -20% for LTFT and -3-5% for the STFT, but i havent spent enough time figuring out where to fix that (ie. using the target fuel ratio table, VE table, injector settings?).

If Project Lambda want to write a little book on how their software works theres a big chance I'll be the first to buy it haha.

Whats the specs of your motor Crawlerado? Mine is an ej251 with delta 1500 cams. Was very lean above 4500rpm, managed to get that to a stable 12:1 right up to 6200+rpm and its runing the 3bar maps sensor nively. Haven't touched timing yet as it rarely seems to make sense.. The timing figure doesn't equate to the base plus/minus any corrections and the IAM figure.

·
Registered
'99 RS Coupe
21 Posts
Trying to figure out what does what in the software is what I've been trying to do since I bought it! My fuel trims are like -20% for LTFT and -3-5% for the STFT, but i havent spent enough time figuring out where to fix that (ie. using the target fuel ratio table, VE table, injector settings?).

If Project Lambda want to write a little book on how their software works theres a big chance I'll be the first to buy it haha.

Whats the specs of your motor Crawlerado? Mine is an ej251 with delta 1500 cams. Was very lean above 4500rpm, managed to get that to a stable 12:1 right up to 6200+rpm and its runing the 3bar maps sensor nively. Haven't touched timing yet as it rarely seems to make sense.. The timing figure doesn't equate to the base plus/minus any corrections and the IAM figure.
Second that! I was hoping for a write up somewhere but at least we have this thread and the notes inside the software.

The engine is 100% stock per the rules of my class. We're allowed bolt ons before the t-body and after the heads as well as a piggyback. Before this came out the only tuning solution was an SAFC and ITC (both still installed and functioning for now).

My current tune is opposite yours. The car is lean from 2000 to very lean at 4500 then something crosses over at 4600 and it goes back to a nice 12:1. Sounds like I could slam some cams in and it would be close?!

Run 4 - previous max on my SAFC tune (as close as I could get it)
Run 6 - OEM tune, no SAFC (super lean until the 4600 crossover)
Run 7 - Lamda - last pull with the 'mistake' (ULTRA LEAN!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried to sign up to the premium access to read the "Prior RS25.com Thread" but still can't access it (have access to the RS club). Anyone know if it still exists??

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,732 Posts
I feel like either the thread was deleted or the way RS25 names it's sections has changed. You can see the link has 'f5' where as now the forums are designated in the URL by not only an f# but also the name of the forum.

I've tried every combination I could figure out in case it was a URL error with no luck. I think the thread has either been locked or deleted. There was an issue some time back where a LOT of threads went the way of the Dodo.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #209 (Edited)
I don't have a lean condtion. Work on tip-in fueling, lower the power mode switchover points, and richen up the open loop. It was pretty straight forward. I'm also using the kpa enrichment framework.

The difficulty is that this will always be a street car ECU first. The best I could do for "race" tuning was to get it into open loop rather quickly and tune from there.

Power mode table menus:

Initial fuel ratio and final fuel ratio are very close. I've got both tables just .005 apart for their numbers for gas and e85 tunes both. Keep the tables close and AFRs won't swing quite like an angry chimp in the rafters.

Blend delay is 2. Enable delay is 1.

Throttle enable I've got set to 10% throttle all the way through the table. I cruise everywhere on the street under 10% throttle because it's just that damn responsive on twins.

Load enable I've got set to 55kpa-65kpa, basically right after tip-in.

Now, the tip-in fueling table for me has been drastically altered because I have all this air available at once, coupled to 440cc injectors. I spent a month noodling with that table and getting it right.

Injector timing is more of a leading factor than you might think. Spraying fuel at a closed valve is great for cruising, but not for power. I went up to 40deg later at higher rpms. I think you can get away with it at lower rpm on a 2.5sohc because it's inhaling so much better at low-mid rpm.

My .02. Good luck. I still like the software, but can't wait to go to real engine management. Again, this will always be a street car's ECU first. It's ruthlessly obedient to FHI first, not us.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the write up Impreza! One thing that's playing on my mind is a what a/f ratio the ecu targets when in closed loop? 14.7? Ive seen it hover around the 14.5ish mark on the wide band sensor when cruising around. But can I adjust this target af anywhere? My closed loop minimum throttle is set to like 60% up to around 4000rpms (not in front of my laptop at the moment), where as every other ej251 map I look at, its much less than that. The car still drives good, except for some hesitation down low which I think is lean. When I reload a map and reset the trims it drives great, then trims pull fuel out and it's starts to jerk a bit down low again.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
I think it targets 14.6. that's what a scantool will show the AFR output as when its unplugged anyway. when I'm cruising around off boost I see it anywhere +/- .5 of 14.6.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
Closed loop is supposed to be around 14.7+/- a little bit. My difference is that I just give it the narrowest possible window to use closed loop.

Even with boost, give it some more tip in fuel. These engines LOVE fuel.

I may have reached the end of the road on my second ECU. I've written probably 200 tunes or more, messing with little stuff. They're only good for 50 or so reflashes from what other sources tell me. This ECU appears bricked, or at least injured. The IAC programming bit me. Limiting number input ranges (I.E: +50max, -50min)I don't think was ever included in the software. This would go a long way with helping the end user know how far they can go with certain adjustments.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Closed loop is supposed to be around 14.7+/- a little bit. My difference is that I just give it the narrowest possible window to use closed loop.

Even with boost, give it some more tip in fuel. These engines LOVE fuel.

I may have reached the end of the road on my second ECU. I've written probably 200 tunes or more, messing with little stuff. They're only good for 50 or so reflashes from what other sources tell me. This ECU appears bricked, or at least injured. The IAC programming bit me. Limiting number input ranges (I.E: +50max, -50min)I don't think was ever included in the software. This would go a long way with helping the end user know how far they can go with certain adjustments.
Is this an effective way of tuning? I know what we have to work with is extremely limited but I didn't have much luck with forcing OL and targeting 14.7 at the cruise rpm's with my emanage.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Is this an effective way of tuning? I know what we have to work with is extremely limited but I didn't have much luck with forcing OL and targeting 14.7 at the cruise rpm's with my emanage.
Yes. It still uses closed loop just at low throttle inputs and low kPa values. I tried to get it to just run in open loop all the time, and it "worked" but sucked as a street car. The plugs would fuel foul in a few hundred miles instead of clean themselves off at cruise. That's about all stoich is good for.

I didn't pick up much power from "tuning". The adjustability let me fix small issues. Restoring driveability after dicking with the engine like I did, that's where it shined.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys, started having another issue (or always had it and mis-diagnosed it).

As I get into higher rpm (4000+) I start to lean out. My targets are all set to 11.2ish, however my wideband is showing closer to 13.5+.

My setup is a walbro 255, 550 cc injectors, td05-16G, 5-6 psi. I'm currently testing my adjustable FPR to ensure the boost referencing feature is working correctly, as well as replacing the filter element in my fuel filter. Fuel line wise I've got a parallel fuel setup with 6an lines.

Last season I had the same issue. However I was running 440cc wrx blues, a td04 at 6-7 psi, and a differently fuel setup (hoses and brass tee's instead of an lines). Same fuel pump, filter, FPR.

I've added a dropbox link to my "tune". Its rough but just need to get moving properly.

I'm starting to suspect a fuel pump, as the walbro was new to me last year. However with the huge amount of knockoffs, who knows. Anyone have any idea?

Dropbox - 550cc Tune - Current.tune

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
What I meant by an effective way of tuning is, would a pro tuner tune it that way?

danscomp, sounds like you're having all the same problems I was with the emanage when I was trying to control fuel in vacuum.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
I looked over your MAP. Did you try a wider minimum pulse width or a different load scalar? It has issues on my version, so I can't write anything and feel comfortable sending it.

Are you on gas or e85?

Hey guys, started having another issue (or always had it and mis-diagnosed it).

As I get into higher rpm (4000+) I start to lean out. My targets are all set to 11.2ish, however my wideband is showing closer to 13.5+.

My setup is a walbro 255, 550 cc injectors, td05-16G, 5-6 psi. I'm currently testing my adjustable FPR to ensure the boost referencing feature is working correctly, as well as replacing the filter element in my fuel filter. Fuel line wise I've got a parallel fuel setup with 6an lines.

Last season I had the same issue. However I was running 440cc wrx blues, a td04 at 6-7 psi, and a differently fuel setup (hoses and brass tee's instead of an lines). Same fuel pump, filter, FPR.

I've added a dropbox link to my "tune". Its rough but just need to get moving properly.

I'm starting to suspect a fuel pump, as the walbro was new to me last year. However with the huge amount of knockoffs, who knows. Anyone have any idea?

Dropbox - 550cc Tune - Current.tune

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, sorry I meant to reply earlier. I had some help from Hatecrewdeathroll again. There was some mechanical issues (the brand new walbro 255 wasn't work properly. Replaced with a DW200, changed the fuel filter insert, tightened one loose bolt on the downpipe) and some adjustments to the tune (specifically fuel added on throttle) and we're good to go again.

Car runs better than ever (except for a new hard start when warm but whatever)

·
Registered
105 Posts
g'day guys,
hope everyone's still having fun with this software. Just had a thought that I am yet to trial: has anyone tried setting their "Closed loop - minimum coolant temp" to a high figure to allow you to test your open loop fuel and timing figures?

I guess the other method might be to set your "power mode - throttle enable" to a very low %?

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,203 Posts
There's been a big shift in the NA/T community to using Speeduino.

What's the opinions on Speeduino vs ProjectLamdba right now, and what are the pros/cons?

201 - 220 of 242 Posts