Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 200 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza
16 Posts
I just use Bluetooth, which works just fine for me. I think Bluetooth is the only way to flash as the BlueSSM has to be plugged into the OBD2, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,203 Posts
Yea I would have liked to try it but didn’t have a part number at the time. Plus I get a sweet discount on Bosch stuff sometimes.

If I cannot get teh 4 bar sensor to work properly I am looking at this 20-300kPa bosch sensor:
Boost Pressure Sensor 0281002437 - Bosch Auto Shop

This place also seems very good for specs: MKS Autobusiness, special components for special needs - Products
Would appreciate the update on the map sensor. A 4-wire plug and play would be awesome. I was looking at the option of using a 2002 WRX MAP sensor since it has an integrated IAT, but there seems to be no proof if it works for EJ251's.

-------------------

In regards to GM 3 Bars, can anybody clarify if i'll just need this:
New GM STYLE MAP Sensor 3BAR 3 BAR For Electromotive Motec Megasquirt With Plug | eBay

....and splice into the stock MAP pin-out. Can I retain my stock MAP sensor and use it just as an IAT? Or would it be advantageous to use another IAT for tuning purposes. I'm still trying to understand the whole MAP Sensor conversion step since I wont be doing a voltage clamp.

I compiled some MAP sensor data. The Subaru values are taken directly from the ROMs for the respective cars. GM data is calculated from the Delphi engineering datasheets (09350899 for 2 bar, 12223861 for 3 bar). It looks like all GM 2 bar sensors use the same calibration but I can't confirm. Let me know your part number and I'll try to find the data for you.

Code:
			Rating	Offset	Slope		Max Boost
			bar	kpa	kpa		bar	psi
USDM SOHC MAF MY99	1	-20.0	32.5		0.41	6.0
USDM SOHC SD MY00+	1	 11.1	21.9		0.19	2.8
EJ205/EJ207 MY99-MY00	2.75	-55.2	67.0		1.78	25.9
EJ205/EJ207 MY01-MY04	2.75	-55.2	68.6		1.86	27.0
EJ207 MY05+		3	-39.1	68.6 	        2.02	29.3

GM 2 bar		2	  8.0	40.0		1.07	15.5
GM 3 bar		3	  1.1	62.9		2.14	31.1

Also, another question. Once I install a GM 3 bar, do I simply just change the 11.1 to 1.1

·
Registered
144 Posts
Out of curiosity, what temperature do you guys have for the "Closed Loop - Minimum Coolant Temperature" under the O2 sensors. I have a feeling that's what is causing my issues during cold start (IE starts fine, but within 5 seconds the car starts pulling fuel to get back to 14.7).

Basically on a stock ECU, what is the coolant temp threshold for open to closed loop transition?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Out of curiosity, what temperature do you guys have for the "Closed Loop - Minimum Coolant Temperature" under the O2 sensors. I have a feeling that's what is causing my issues during cold start (IE starts fine, but within 5 seconds the car starts pulling fuel to get back to 14.7).

Basically on a stock ECU, what is the coolant temp threshold for open to closed loop transition?
Going to answer myself here.

Ended up being not lazy and digging out the scangauge. Started the car as is and could see that as soon as the coolant temp hit 5c the car went into closed loop and started pulling fuel to get it to 14.7. This caused a bunch of idle issues and eventually stalled. Then I changed it to 50c and ran it again. No problems. Idled high and rich as it should when cold, and once it hit 50c it went to closed loop, however it was warm enough that it continued to work properly.

So if anyone has an 02 RS with this, check your "Minimum coolant temperature" in the O2 sensors tab. Make sure to change it from the 5c to something higher.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2001 ImprezaRS,BRP
351 Posts
what are people using to data log?
Im also looking at Emanage Ultimate and now seeing this im not sure what to do.I have a 01 RS and building a EJ22t block/EJ251 heads with turbo, which would be better?
Any chance this will get launch control?

How do you work Bluetooth with a laptop that dont have it?

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
what are people using to data log?
Im also looking at Emanage Ultimate and now seeing this im not sure what to do.I have a 01 RS and building a EJ22t block/EJ251 heads with turbo, which would be better?
Any chance this will get launch control?

How do you work Bluetooth with a laptop that dont have it?
USB bluetooth dongles are less than $10. The EMU works okay but I wouldn't buy it again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hi all,
for those who have installed gm 2, 3 or any other MAP sensors, have you had to adjust your "Atmospheric Pressure Bias" table??

I just tried my bosch 4 bar map sensor and adjusted the VE table so the columns start at 40kpa (bit higher than the stock 20kpa but this is the minimum figure that map sensor reads), up to 180kpa as I wont be boosting my car above that!

Then I adjusted my VE table to still match the stock table from 20 to 100kpa (though the number of columns has greatly reduced). Installed the sensor and started the car from cold. It started and the revs bounced a lot, when I levelled out it idled ok but I highly doubt the car was driveable. If I jabbed the throttle it would almost stall afterwards and the revs would bounce around a lot..

THEN I realised that I didn't adjust he atmospheric bias table (and also any spark tables). The Bias table columns had changed to match the VE table (40kpa up to 180kpa), but the actual table figures had not moved accordingly. Ie. the VE figure in the 100kpa column of the bias table was now sitting in the 180kpa column, for that particular rpm. So I'm guessing that this may have had a hand in the rough running..

I'll try to re-adjust the atmosph. bias table and try again, but am still interested in other peoples results. Cheers!

EDIT: Here are some before and after figures of the stock vs 4bar. I tried to do these as close as possible to eachother so the engine didn't warm up too much and make the comparison a bit off:

-------------rpm - map V - map kpa - Ign. adv. - inj. pulse - coolant temp
Stock Map: 840 - 1.0 - 32 - 8deg - 3.33 - 58degC
4Bar bosch: 880 - 0.35 - 46 - 0deg - 3.84 - 50degC

EDIT 2:
I re-did all the maps which were kPa based and it still ran like a pig. I was able to compare a lot of figures (stock vs 4bar map) at idle for coolant and intake temps which were very close.
The stock map sensor reads 32kPa at approx. 825RPM, inj. pulse width = 3.0 - 3.3, ign advance = 7-10deg.
The 4Bar map sensor reads 44kPa at approx. 850RPM, inj. pulse width = 3.6, ign advance = 2deg

Conclusion: The ecu does not like this map sensor which is a 50-400kpa sensor. I have ordered a 20-300kpa sensor, hopefully it idles (and then drives!) much better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I ordered and trialled the 20-300kpa bosch sensor. Remapped the VE and timing tables for 20-180kpa, only issue I ran into was the offset and slope values. I calculated a negative offset value of -6.35 and the software wont let me enter it!

So I tried it at 0 offset anyway to see if the engine would idle nicer than the 4bar sensor. It did, but the kpa figure in the datalogs looks to be out by 6kpa.. The voltage figure logged calculates (in excel) to an accurate kpa figure but I was worried about the effects on the timing tables etc so I pulled it out and stuck with the stock map sensors

If the ecu is calculating an incorrect kpa I need to fix that somehow!

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I've got another new IAC on the way. The idle relearn function seems to make them fussy after I enable the function and then disable it. I get codes for both high and low voltage at the same time.

Still not able to raise the redline effectively, either. In gear, it will rev to the new limit once, like clockwork. In gear with the clutch in, it hits it every time. Clutch out in neutral, it hits it every time. In gear, I get it exactly once :bonk:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I sent the guru an email the other day and he mentioned he would modify the program to accept a negative number for me. Definitely trying him through facebook or email.

I still haven't even raised my rev limit...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi guys, I am still edging closer to the 550cc injector install but am a little worried about the fuel accel. enrich (or tip-in?). I don't have access to the Fuel Transition settings with my 2002 ADM outback.

Does anyone here have experience putting larger injectors in and having to change any enrich settings?

So far I have updated a new ECU map with new Load and Airflow scalers, offset and slope figures for the new injectors, multiplied the cranking pulse width by 0.509 (280cc/550cc). Hopefully that is going to be a fairly good start to get it running. I did notice on a recent log, -20% LTFT at idle which might need some attention first??

Edit: just had a thought that the delta 1500 cams could be the cause of the high LTFT's at idle?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
Turn down your VE settings near idle on the main VE table, first. It does have less VE at idle, so you aren't lying to the ECU. This is where the use of strategy comes into play for making your maps. I pull 32kpa at idle. I bet you see around 25ish.

Maybe try fiddling with the injector end angle table, say 210deg moved up to 220-225deg. Later injection timing is used on bigger cams to smooth out the idle with HP tuners if you had a bigger cam on an LS. It might make your LTFT issue worse at idle, maybe. It can make the tip in throttle a little sluggish at idle, too.

Idle speed target may need a slight nudge upward, too. IAC programming can be a little tricky. I spent a lot of time there to dial in idle on my twin throttles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
cheers for the tips! I generally see 33-34kpa at idle too (800rpm).

Injector end angle is 200deg across the rev range, I noticed in pretty much every other ej251 listed in the software, that their end angles go up to 230deg when coolant is above 70degC.

I'll give the VE reduction a go at see what the LTFT does.

181 - 200 of 242 Posts