Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i saw a thread about installing power windows from a while back that was bumped several times and didnt see a writeup for this, so here ya go.

im lazy so get ready to read, i did this quite a few years ago and i dont know if i took many pics when i did the swap, ill post them later if i find any.
this writeup applies to 97 and older imprezas.

i swapped power windows into my 96L as follows:

i went to a junkyard and bought 4 complete doors w/doorcards and the power window/lock harness for $210 off a 93 impreza.

i discovered the harness for the power windows and power door locks is almost completely seperate from the rest of the chassis harness and that harness has a diode, a capacitor and a relay bolted to a bracket buried under the carpet behind the drivers seat. you will need this harness for the windows to work properly and it just makes things easier.

i had to go back and remove and purchase said harness from the donor car. i lived in las vegas at the time, it was middle of july and 110 degrees outside, this sucked considering how long it took to get all 4 doors off, carried through the junkyard from the very very back corner, loaded in my car and driven across town, with no a/c.
dont forget the harness...:sunny:

i removed the harness and ended up cutting a few wires that ran up to the fuse block.
this was my first gc so being a noob i didnt know this, plus i was on fire and pouring sweat from the heat and i got impatient.
i think you could get the entire harness with the plug if you removed the fuse block from under the dash and unplugged it from the block, so take the time to get the harness with the plug, it should make things easier later on since you wont have to splice any wires. you might wanna take the whole dam fuse block if you can...;)

i brought it all home and installed the new window/lock harness. you will need to remove the seats and carpet to install the harness, you will learn how to do this when you pull it out of the donor car at the junkyard.

i wired a fuse to the wires for window power and plugged it into a spare slot on the front of the fuse block and then spliced the lock power wires to the existing power lock wires. you will find these wires when you remove the old lock harness.
i think installation would be easier if i had took the time to get the connector on the end of the harness, i could have plugged it into the back of the fuse block where the old power lock harness was and just install the fuse in the slot where it would normally go if the car came with power windows.

im not 100% sure about the plug part since i didnt actually get the plug for my swap. i have a degree in applied electronics theory and the wiring diagrams so i wasnt too concerned about cutting wires. again i recommend getting the plug with your harness, if its not plug and play you can always splice them in at the fuse block. if anybody has more info on this, please post up!

next you will need to swap parts from the junkyard doors into your doors, unless you luck out and they are the same color, in which case you can install the new doors and plug them into the new harness.
i ended up swapping the harnesses and regulators out of the junkyard doors into my original doors since the donor car was purple and my wagon is white.

the front doors are more difficult than the rear doors mainly because of the size of the door and location of the harness, the rear doors are much easier to swap the harness into. i did the front doors right away and drove around with purple back doors for several months until it cooled off. i removed the doors one at a time and set them up on a workbench to make it a bit easier to do the swap. gravity is not your friend when you remove the window crank assembly with the doors on the car. trust me on this one.

first roll the window up and stick something in there to keep the window from coming down when you remove the manual crank. i used a 2x4.
unbolt the window glass from the manual window crank assembly, unbolt the crank assembly from the door and bolt the regulators to the door, then reattach the glass to the new regulator.
the holes are in a different location from where the manual crank assembly attaches to the door, mine were covered by round white stickers, remove the sticker and there will be a nice little hole waiting for you behind it.
the harness is a bitch to get in and out of the door, there is a bolt or clip inside the door that holds the harness in the door, you will have to remove this clip to swap the harness.
reinstall the door. you can test each door as you install them, but you have to have the harness installed with power and all the window switches have to be connected for any of them to work.

in short, the best way to do it is to goto a junkyard and pull the harness and doors and swap everything into your car.

hopefully this will help at least one person trying to do this install.
i also have the wiring diagrams for a 96l if you need them, pm me for info. :monkey:

·
Registered
95 Impreza Black(used2b green)
614 Posts
THANKS alot for this route69L

Help out alot!

·
Registered
MY99 OBS GF4 v2 STI RA EJ20G
1,421 Posts
good read... does this same thing apply to swapping power win/locks to a coupe?

I drive a 97 Brighton and I'm trying to get my hands on Coupe doors 97-01 made for power windows and locks so I've been looking for RS doors and also a complete RS wiring harness that comes with the door harness along with window regulators, etc.

Is there anything else I should look for? should i swap the fuse box/block also?

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
I bought an ebay kit that attaches to the window crank for $100. Works fine for me. Just need to find a way to cover the hole.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS BLK
204 Posts
ooh really? what kind of ebay kit? i only need to power one window and have been avoiding doing the diy swap....great info though route69L. this inspired me to put in a power window.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i saw a thread about installing power windows from a while back that was bumped several times and didnt see a writeup for this, so here ya go.

im lazy so get ready to read, i did this quite a few years ago and i dont know if i took many pics when i did the swap, ill post them later if i find any.
this writeup applies to 97 and older imprezas.

i swapped power windows into my 96L as follows:

i went to a junkyard and bought 4 complete doors w/doorcards and the power window/lock harness for $210 off a 93 impreza.

i discovered the harness for the power windows and power door locks is almost completely seperate from the rest of the chassis harness and that harness has a diode, a capacitor and a relay bolted to a bracket buried under the carpet behind the drivers seat. you will need this harness for the windows to work properly and it just makes things easier.

i had to go back and remove and purchase said harness from the donor car. i lived in las vegas at the time, it was middle of july and 110 degrees outside, this sucked considering how long it took to get all 4 doors off, carried through the junkyard from the very very back corner, loaded in my car and driven across town, with no a/c.
dont forget the harness...:sunny:

i removed the harness and ended up cutting a few wires that ran up to the fuse block.
this was my first gc so being a noob i didnt know this, plus i was on fire and pouring sweat from the heat and i got impatient.
i think you could get the entire harness with the plug if you removed the fuse block from under the dash and unplugged it from the block, so take the time to get the harness with the plug, it should make things easier later on since you wont have to splice any wires. you might wanna take the whole dam fuse block if you can...;)

i brought it all home and installed the new window/lock harness. you will need to remove the seats and carpet to install the harness, you will learn how to do this when you pull it out of the donor car at the junkyard.

i wired a fuse to the wires for window power and plugged it into a spare slot on the front of the fuse block and then spliced the lock power wires to the existing power lock wires. you will find these wires when you remove the old lock harness.
i think installation would be easier if i had took the time to get the connector on the end of the harness, i could have plugged it into the back of the fuse block where the old power lock harness was and just install the fuse in the slot where it would normally go if the car came with power windows.

im not 100% sure about the plug part since i didnt actually get the plug for my swap. i have a degree in applied electronics theory and the wiring diagrams so i wasnt too concerned about cutting wires. again i recommend getting the plug with your harness, if its not plug and play you can always splice them in at the fuse block. if anybody has more info on this, please post up!

next you will need to swap parts from the junkyard doors into your doors, unless you luck out and they are the same color, in which case you can install the new doors and plug them into the new harness.
i ended up swapping the harnesses and regulators out of the junkyard doors into my original doors since the donor car was purple and my wagon is white.

the front doors are more difficult than the rear doors mainly because of the size of the door and location of the harness, the rear doors are much easier to swap the harness into. i did the front doors right away and drove around with purple back doors for several months until it cooled off. i removed the doors one at a time and set them up on a workbench to make it a bit easier to do the swap. gravity is not your friend when you remove the window crank assembly with the doors on the car. trust me on this one.

first roll the window up and stick something in there to keep the window from coming down when you remove the manual crank. i used a 2x4.
unbolt the window glass from the manual window crank assembly, unbolt the crank assembly from the door and bolt the regulators to the door, then reattach the glass to the new regulator.
the holes are in a different location from where the manual crank assembly attaches to the door, mine were covered by round white stickers, remove the sticker and there will be a nice little hole waiting for you behind it.
the harness is a bitch to get in and out of the door, there is a bolt or clip inside the door that holds the harness in the door, you will have to remove this clip to swap the harness.
reinstall the door. you can test each door as you install them, but you have to have the harness installed with power and all the window switches have to be connected for any of them to work.

in short, the best way to do it is to goto a junkyard and pull the harness and doors and swap everything into your cars.

hopefully this will help at least one person trying to do this install.
i also have the wiring diagrams for a 96l if you need them, pm me for info. :monkey:
Thanks buddy! search button really coming very handy in here. so far i don't have any questions yet. pretty clear instructions looks like i can follow that one.

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
ooh really? what kind of ebay kit? i only need to power one window and have been avoiding doing the diy swap....great info though route69L. this inspired me to put in a power window.
Did I ever get back to you on this? I just saw this thread again and I forgot. Didn't mean to blow you off if I did.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I plan on doing this probably in Oct. I'll post like a DIY with pictures when I do it.

·
Registered
White '00('99)RSTi type RA
1,241 Posts
Krotch, did you ever do this? I need to install front power windown into a RA with cranks

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Nope, I got a warning ticket on my RS and shipped it out of the state. I was expecting to move back in that direction, but ended up with a job in Maryland. Not sure when I'll get the chance to go back home and pull the doors off of it.

·
Registered
all the wagons
1,534 Posts
I wish this was as easy as it sounds...

if someone could post a picture of where the separate harness under the seat plugs in the would be cool

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Please tell. The oem way sounds more of a hassle than it's worth
It's an ebay kit that attaches to the grank gear for the manual window. You then wire it to the other door, and both of those to a relay (not provided) and to your battery. It comes with caps to fill the hole where the crank was, but none of them fit so mine is just open. It's not that noticeable. The hardest part was the wiring. There are two grommets between the door and the chassis that you need to get 3 or so wires through and it's a pain. I recommend poking as large of a hole with a screwdriver as you can and shoving them through. It didn't come with great instructions either so it's kind of a thinking exercise. If you do end up doing it I can provide you with as much help as I can. The only reason I did it in the first place is so I can roll the passenger window down (I'm short and cant reach the crank.)

There's also the dilemma of finding a place to wire the relay into. I currently have it connected straight to the battery because I couldn't find a switch that didn't give me some kind of electrical issue and I got lazy.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Man, I'm 5' 7" and I can reach the passenger window crank. Although, I can't do it while driving as then, I can't see over the dash.

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
I have to extend my legs off of the drivers floor mat to reach. And my passenger window is off alignment so it didn't roll smooth.

·
Registered
White '00('99)RSTi type RA
1,241 Posts
Man, I'm 5' 7" and I can reach the passenger window crank. Although, I can't do it while driving as then, I can't see over the dash.
i roll around with 4-pt harnesses...i can barely reach my glovebox

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L AWD, EJ18/22
262 Posts
Gentlemen and Ladies. Got a question for the electricians...

Ive got a 95 Impreza L AWD with manual windows.

Just bought 4 doors that are electric. Need help wiring them. Donor Car 93 L AWD.

I pretty much got the wiring from rear doors and the relay and all that. I even have the fuse box I think the op is talking about..But I unplugged the front doors and the wiring goes up under dash. But I wasnt able to get that wiring. Any help i Just want to figure out the window switches for now. ill figure out power locks later.
Here are pics of what I have.

And if I need to get that extra wiring how do i go about getting it? Thanks kindly in advance.

·
Registered
96 Legacy
336 Posts
For those of you who have actually done this. Please chime in. The OP is confused on a lot of parts. This is where lack of pictures is a no no.

You cannot disconnect it before the fuse box. It is part of the sub harness that runs along under the dash. Small plugs for the power doors are missing in the B pillars. Basically this thread title is mis-leading.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts