Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
i don't have much to add but seeing as no one else has here it goes...

Automotive painting is very difficult and tedious process. You need the corect equipment and patints(ching), dust free envronment, and skill. You can do it yes but will it come out looking oem(not saying much) .... No. Also when you paint a body pannel or wing or anything no matter how close you match the paint it will not look exactly the same. Enter blending... Before you know it your repainting half your car:).

IMHO Leave it to the pros

-Dustin

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
I painted my rear spats and my interior. They both turned out fine, especially considering they're not something I'd care to spend a whole lot of money for a perfect looking paintjob. Mine was good enough and held up well until last weekend(painted them in july) where my left spat got two chips in it. :\ I think for something as small as spats its fine to DIY, but i plan to have (when i get it) a front lip or bumper, wing, and grill painted by the pros.

Heres some pics

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
God I love how the painted interior looks

Really thinking about doing it on my RS too

The factory 'carbonfiber' was cool to start with but I'm not too fond of it anymore...

If I did the highlight color for the rest of my car I think my roommates would kill me (red) and it'd get called ricey :run:

I saw some sideskirts that someone in my town did DIY and they looked okay (better than the black on a blue car I guess) but if you really looked at it you could tell it was a different color.

I plan on getting any other parts of my car professionally painted now, especially since I have a different than OEM paint job (still black)

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the P1 stuff is at the painter's shop, I decided to get a pro job done on that stuff, but I might try painting the rear skirts myself. I figure that if I screw those up, it was something cheap that I messed up, not the expensive aero-stuff.

I'll post pics when I can get my damn attbi website to work.
Jon

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the wing and lip should be painted within a day or two, I'll have pics ready.

Has anyone painted side skirts ? what happens to the rubber strip at the top of the skirt ? is it removed, or does it also get painted. ?

is it best to remove skirts to paint them ? or mask them ?

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts