Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would pass on this install I did on my 95 Impeza of 93 to 01 Impreza wagon rear hatch struts on my hood. These have an M8 x 1.25 threaded ball swivel end on both ends. I purchased M8 x 1.25 rivet nuts from MSC http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm part number 08680498 25 of them for $15.94. Here is a list of the tools you will need. Hammer, punch, hand drill with 3/16 and #25 bits along with short and long unibits, pop rivet gun with 3/16 x 1/4 aluminum rivets, 10 - 24 tap with handle and 12 mm wrench.

Measure 5 inches from the back of the fender as indicated, this will be the centerline of the pivot ball.

Drill a 9/16 hole with the unibit at this location, install the assembled angle plate made from sheet metal measuring 2" x 2 1/2" bent to 90 deg. with the M8 rivet nut then drill two 3/16 holes for the pop rivets and install. I found it alot easier to install these nuts using a vise, the rivet nut gun I had just didn't have enough oomph. I also used the steel nuts instead of the aluminum ones for strength. With the force these struts put out I am sure they would have worked the aluminum ones loose.

Add a 9/16 long x 3/4 diameter spacer underneath the fender lip then drill a #25 hole thru the plate into the shock tower (this is the tap drill size for a 10-24 thread), then a 3/16 hole thru the angle plate only and tap 10 - 24 thread in shock tower. Install a 10 - 24 by 1 inch long button head cap screw. These screws were deemed necessary after I noticed the fender flexing during operation. This will make for a very ridgid setup.

That takes care of the fenders. On the hood measure 17 3/8 from the end of the hood hinges, this will be the centerline for the other pivot ball.

Using the short unibit (don't wanna drill thru the hood) drill a 9/16 hole. I made up another plate from the same sheet metal measuring 1 1/4" x 2 1/4" and bent it to a curve to match the hood and installed an M8 rivet nut and two 3/16 holes for pop rivets.

Pop rivet into place. Now thread in the ends of the struts with the big ends towards the front of the car and get rid of that dang prop rod. One strut wasn't enough to safely keep the hood open, it only engaged for the last inch or so, so the second one was added, they will take over and open the hood themselves at about half open. This setup will not push up on the back of the hood as in some other setups I've seen because the mounting point is further front towards the middle of the hood. And this was all done using genuine Subaru parts.

· Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes absolutly necessary. One would only hold it up at full open and two when you lift the hood to half position they take over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.