Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5R-STI
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently completed this setup with 18X10 wheels and 280sx fender flares which cost me $250 shipped. The fender flares are supposed to be the same as 240sx flares, but dont take my word for it, the 280sx flares that I used fit fine. To give a brief summary, this is fairly labor intensive and requires A LOT of patience as you will need to test fit many times.

1. Put on your new wheels and figure out roughly how much to cut:
*you may have to cut into the bumper (front and rear near the top)*

I had to cut about 4 inches

2. Depending on how big your wheels are, you may have to cut all the way to the bottom to be able to turn full lock without rubbing... I had to cut part of my sideskirts for this reason. This will require a lot of measuring. Put on your new sideskirts and turn the wheel in each direction, dont forget to take body roll into account (add about an inch or so just to be safe):

3. I then used the very bottom of the fender (that I just cut) as protection from the rough inner edges of the fender:

4. Once you're done with the front, move on to the rears and cut the same way. Hammer the inside portion up towards the 1/4 panel:

You'll be cutting the very edge of the inside of the trunk (you can actually see the wheel from the trunk bc of this gap)

5. Once you're done with that you'll need to weld. I rented a tack welder from Home Depot ($40 for 4 hrs) to weld the inside 1/4 panel, to the outside... Sorry but no pics of this :-(

6. I dabbed sum primer around the edges of the fenders and rears that I had just cut to protect it against rust.

7. I then bought a bunch of plastic little square fasteners from Ace hardware for the fender flares. Made it 10000 times easier than having to bolt the flares from the inside. Simply drill a hole, slide these suckers in there (make sure they fit tight)... Put your fenders on, and screw them in.

Finished product:

Thats it you're done! This process took me and a buddy 2 whole wkends. Working on and off and taking a bunch of random breaks. I'd advise everyone to be patient and measure as much as you can. If you can't weld, Im sure a neighborhood muffler shop will weld the rears within an hour. Feel free to PM me for any advice.

-Leo

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,828 Posts
I really really want to do this to my Impreza, but i've got a four-door. I'm not sure the rear flares would fit. There is very little space between the door and the wheel. Does anybody know of a fourdoor with these flares?
find a junk yard with a jetta with ABS plastic fender flares. you could try and test fit those

·
Registered
85 toyota corolla, grey,turbo
397 Posts
ok now i see the pics. looks pretty good. i will be doing flares however not the rivet type. ill be welding mine in.

came out clean though. i like it. whats the offset of those wheels.

mine are 29 with 5x114.3 adapters (still shopping for those). idk how bad that will make it. im stilling in the fitment stages.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5R-STI
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the support guys!!!

did you have to cut into the top of the bumper past the clip that holds it to the fender?
I did have to cut into the bumper, but not past the first clip

Nice work... Now for an off topic question, What rear bumper are you using.
Syms replica

I'm curious to know the details of the rims and tire size you chose. Looks very good!
XXR 521 wheels 18X10, Nitto NT-05 tires, 265/35

ok now i see the pics. looks pretty good. i will be doing flares however not the rivet type. ill be welding mine in.

came out clean though. i like it. whats the offset of those wheels.

mine are 29 with 5x114.3 adapters (still shopping for those). idk how bad that will make it. im stilling in the fitment stages.
+25 but I had to use 15mm spacer to clear brakes in front and coilovers in rear... good luck with your project, cant wait to see some pics!!!

·
Registered
2011 A4
2,520 Posts
are your fenders flares pretty even as far as edge to edge like...9 oclock and 3 oclock as opposed to like 9 oclock and 1 oclock (speaking on the alighment of the leading edge vs the back edge of each flare)

can you take a full on side shot of both sides?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5rs
300 Posts
That's amazing. I love that, but want to see someone do it on a 4door! I'm curious to see how those jetta ones would look, never heard some someone doing that before.
I am planning on doing the 240sx fender flares on my 4 door. I have rust starting again on the rear quarter panels again.

·
Registered
94 legacy turbo maroon
17 Posts
Hey guys, I recently completed this setup with 18X10 wheels and 280sx fender flares which cost me $250 shipped. The fender flares are supposed to be the same as 240sx flares, but dont take my word for it, the 280sx flares that I used fit fine. To give a brief summary, this is fairly labor intensive and requires A LOT of patience as you will need to test fit many times.

1. Put on your new wheels and figure out roughly how much to cut:
*you may have to cut into the bumper (front and rear near the top)*

I had to cut about 4 inches

2. Depending on how big your wheels are, you may have to cut all the way to the bottom to be able to turn full lock without rubbing... I had to cut part of my sideskirts for this reason. This will require a lot of measuring. Put on your new sideskirts and turn the wheel in each direction, dont forget to take body roll into account (add about an inch or so just to be safe):

3. I then used the very bottom of the fender (that I just cut) as protection from the rough inner edges of the fender:

4. Once you're done with the front, move on to the rears and cut the same way. Hammer the inside portion up towards the 1/4 panel:

You'll be cutting the very edge of the inside of the trunk (you can actually see the wheel from the trunk bc of this gap)

5. Once you're done with that you'll need to weld. I rented a tack welder from Home Depot ($40 for 4 hrs) to weld the inside 1/4 panel, to the outside... Sorry but no pics of this :-(

6. I dabbed sum primer around the edges of the fenders and rears that I had just cut to protect it against rust.

7. I then bought a bunch of plastic little square fasteners from Ace hardware for the fender flares. Made it 10000 times easier than having to bolt the flares from the inside. Simply drill a hole, slide these suckers in there (make sure they fit tight)... Put your fenders on, and screw them in.

Finished product:

Thats it you're done! This process took me and a buddy 2 whole wkends. Working on and off and taking a bunch of random breaks. I'd advise everyone to be patient and measure as much as you can. If you can't weld, Im sure a neighborhood muffler shop will weld the rears within an hour. Feel free to PM me for any advice.

-Leo
wow dude, that actually looks pretty damn good. good job!!

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.