Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2.2L - T
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, if this has been covered in a DIY I do apologize. I wasn't able to find one prior to trying it for myself. If not, then FINALLY a guide to repairing those old, cracked, ripped or dimpled door handles.

Materials:
1.) Fabric of your choice, only need half of a yard if that.(I recommend automotive fabric for high U.V. rating)
2.) Aerosol adhesive such as 3m, permatex for headliner etc.
3.) Phillips screw driver and about 1 hour of time.
4.) Dremel or cutting tool of choice.

First off, remove your door cards and there should be 6 phillips screws holding the handle to the door card.

After removing them, use a dremel to lightly saw off the plastic welds and then the handle should come off.

Remove the old fabric while leaving the old foam in tact.

Measure and cut out the fabric necessary to cover all edges while leaving about 1 inch all around to stick to the inner part of the handle. Spray adhesive on the grip as well as the fabric and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before pressing together. Take your time or it won't stick properly and your going to rage. :D

Repeat the process until all edges are covered and there are no wrinkles left. I then used a blow dryer to help heat the adhesive a bit while pressing the material together. Afterwards, I let it sit in the freezer for about 2 minutes to insure proper adhesion. I'd suggest letting them sit overnight in 75-80 degree weather if possible. Reverse steps for install, except since you broke the welds your going to use thread finder screws with a washer and screw into the stems that were connected to the weld. It leaves it nice and sturdy once again:clap:

Final product:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
Man, thanks for posting this!!! I was just thinking about how I would go about replacing the skin on the arm rests on rs/L door cards as most of us know, quite a few of these door cards have arm rests with the vinyl and such with holes or rips in them......

This gives me an idea now!!

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,320 Posts
Awesome job dude. I've done the fabric before on the door card, but was lost when dealing with my destroyed handles.

·
Registered
2.2L - T
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew I was far from being the only one who needed this. It was risky, but the final product is definitely rewarding.

Fabric was purchased from a local upholstery shop called "Santa Barbara" and its perforated vinyl. Just make sure whatever fabric you guys buy is automotive because it has high U.V. rating and won't fade or crack prematurely.

·
Registered
2.2L - T
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Added more pictures of the process. Thanks for the feedback guys, it turned out better then expected and made that old interior nice and new again!

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,761 Posts
What fabric do you have on the upper part of the door card, micro suede?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts