Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, please help. I work at a shop, working on an 01 Impreza 2.5 dual cam, we are replacing cams, and all the works, have ordered parts, found that the cam seals ( calls for 4 ) are incorrect. Two of the 4 are o.k., but the other two, ( rear ) seem to be plugs. Any suggestions, please help if you have any part numbers or suggestions other than the deales. Thank you, Santa

·
Registered
'98, RS-T
534 Posts
hello, please help. I work at a shop, working on an 01 Impreza 2.5 dual cam, we are replacing cams, and all the works, have ordered parts, found that the cam seals ( calls for 4 ) are incorrect. Two of the 4 are o.k., but the other two, ( rear ) seem to be plugs. Any suggestions, please help if you have any part numbers or suggestions other than the deales. Thank you, Santa
Store Locator | NAPA Online

·
Registered
134 Posts
this may sound bad, but what is the firing/order piston sequence? for instance when doing the valve adjustment, how do i know which piston is on top dead center when aligning the arrow mark on camshaft sprocket 2. like when aligning the arrow mark to piston #1 facing 12 o clock, which piston is it/set of rockers? This is the only reason why i am holding off on readjusting mine. Silly question i know.

Also, to start this off, would i time it first with the 3 markings, then do one complete stroke to get the camshaft sprocket #2 in 12 o clock position for piston 1 or does it not matter if its timed first?

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
*They were Hot tanked and ultra sonically cleaned.*

How much would something like that cost? Getting the heads machined? I know there is no set price, just an estimate? How will I know if it needs machined?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
To have my heads cleaned and decked I believe it was around 150 bucks.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Yeah valve seals are on the opposite side of the head... But if your doing this work you should be replacing them, although its not neccesary.

By pouring Fuel into the combustion chamber your checking to to see if your valves should be lapped.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
ah sorry, missed the part about valve lapping. theres a couple good youtube videos that explain it well enough though

how likely am i to need new keepers? do they break easily or get lost easily? im about to take apart the heads to start lapping, replacing seals and camshafts; i have everything but the valve keepers and would have to overnight em...

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
If your doing all of the work to refresh the heads, you should also replace the keepers as there pretty inexpensive.

Neccesary no, but I would recommend it.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I could show you in person were you to ever decide to go through with this ;)

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Its not alot.. 10ft lbs or so...

·
Registered
2002 wrx wagon
66 Posts
alright. thanks. because the shop where i got my engine reabuilt and cams in. one of the valve cover bolts leaked out and i lost all my oil. so i just want to make sure. haha

·
Registered
MY99 OBS
1,690 Posts
i bought 2 torx T-45 and they don't fit. Is there anything closer or do i just have to force them in there?

81 - 100 of 123 Posts