Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Obs White 2.2L 5MT
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone has done the clear the side markers and such but I thought it might be cool to just paint them black.

1. Disconnect negative side of the battery.

2. Removing the markers is extremely easy. Slide the markers towards the front of the car. Don't use to much force or you risk breaking something. Once removed just unplug the wire.

3. Make sure you tape off anything you don't want to be painted (I removed the bulbs to be extra safe). I used duct tape because I was to lazy to go to the store and get masking tape and the duct tape is some no name brand that isn't too sticky (worked out in my favor).

4. Painting. Make sure you don't overload it with paint or it will never dry and look like crap. When I use spray paint I try not to hold it down for more than 2 seconds and stay 1 - 2 feet away.

5. Reinstall. Do step 2 backwards and make sure you reconnect the battery...forgot that and was about to flip because it was just some side markers :lol:

Pics of final product. I think it looks great and turned out better than I expected.

Oh yeah extra step if your grass somehow turned black :lol:

Doesn't look good but it's a hella lot better than the black :p

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
charged99rs said:
LOL, love the painting the grass green again.
Haha yeah I just got done when my mom pulled in...not sure she woulda been happy with the black grass.

·
Registered
Impreza 2.5rs
745 Posts
I tried to black my clears... dont put them in the oven like the corners, blinkers, or headlights... They dont use the same glue/sealent and melt all funny and dont go back on.

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
There's really no need to disconnect the battery, unless you plan on cutting the insulation of the wires on the fender or something.

Wondering if lets any light through, too. Doesn't seem like it would, as it's not transparent paint. But if anyone is looking for transparent black paint go to Walmart and get some Rustoleum Transparent Slate Black. That's what I used on my directionals.

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
+1 on the allowing light through... tried this before and could never make it opaque enough

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you want light to pass through theres a spray tint called night shades that will work wonders. i have not done it yet, but its on another DIY on this forum that i saw. i dont know where to get it other than ebay right now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted mine so that no light gets through cause I only ever see the clear or transparent ones (tried to be original :))

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive used the VHT night shades. its kinda expensive but turns out pretty good. make sure to put like 3 coats of clear coat over it after it dries. nice and shiny

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cfn101788 said:
ive used the VHT night shades. its kinda expensive but turns out pretty good. make sure to put like 3 coats of clear coat over it after it dries. nice and shiny
Clear coat from pep boys or autozone works fine right? If not where would be a good place to get some for the cheapest amount.

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
Yes looks good can I please see a picture at night time with the blinker on?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
karatejoe said:
Yeah sure man I'll do that tonight. I just got done taking off the roof rack. Wow what a pain in the a..... Just a brief summary.

I took everything apart and all the panels off. Finally get the headliner out and put it on the ground where no one would step on it. Get off all the bolts for the rack and as soon as I pull it off, I hear this enormous crack of thunder and almost piss myself (I mean it was freaking loud). I'm like...you have got to be freaking kidding me. Rush inside to grab some duct tape to temporarily block up the holes in the roof and get the headliner inside the car. From there the chaos began. Not being able to get outside the car without being drenched, I reasembled the entire headliner, paneling and all the other odds and ends from the inside of my car (my arms are hella sore now :(). As soon as I'm like "YES HAHA RAIN YOU LOSE!" it stops raining. I was about to flip a sh... Anyways it's just drizzling now and I have a shower curtain over my car :rotflmao: (poor mans tarp). Oh well off to Home Depot to get some odds and ends but other than that I think I'll be done for the day.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
karatejoe said:
Got a video, hard to see it cause of the bad camera but I go from looking at the marker to the front blinkers and then back to the marker again. Hope this works.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
pwargcm said:
if you want light to pass through theres a spray tint called night shades that will work wonders. i have not done it yet, but its on another DIY on this forum that i saw. i dont know where to get it other than ebay right now.

I used that Night Shade stuff on my front bumper blinkers, works great! Looks nice and black, but lets lots of orange thru when the blinkers are on. I found mine at a local "speed" shop. Just look for a place that sells body kits and has lots of ricey Honda parked out front all the time, I can almost GUARANTEE that they will carry it!

Oh yeah, and +1 for repainting the grass green! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts