Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 393 Posts

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
The only thing you have to do to make the car start is to connect the 2 wires on the automatic selector that tells the ecu its in either Park or Neutral.

·
Registered
98 RS
4 Posts
4.44-3.9 swap

Don't you need to swap both the front and rear differential becauses of the Final Drive Size Difference? Looking into going with a Legacy Tranny for my 98rs but the final drive ratios are way different.(4.11-3.9)

1. You cant use the AT Drive Shaft (because its 3 inches shorter than the MT5) But, you CAN use the CV Axels I used all of my 98 Auto CV axels and everything worked out fine

2. You can run full time with the Auto ECU there have been discussions on how to modifty it to get the ABS to work but its a slight hack job and I dont feel its a safe/reliable soltuion as it could become hazardous.

3. The MT5 ECU is needed only if you want to switch to an MT5 ABS pump and have proper ABS (although this hasnt been 100% confirmed as I've never seen any one do this) Reverse lights are simply wired in from the MT5 transmision wires no ECU requirement.

As long as you have all of the mechanical parts you can almost do a plug and play on your car, you have to bridge a few pieces of the Auto Harness to trick it into neutral and enable the fuel pump. You also need to bypass tha Automatic ignition switch. a simple way is just running straight from the ignition to the starter, you can also use spade connectors to clip in at the clutch switch (I recomend it if you're used to driving autos)

Unless you Swap a complete Manual Wiring harness you cannot have cruise control wile using an MT5 Transmission.

·
Premium Member
97 L, 13 WRX
1,537 Posts
Don't you need to swap both the front and rear differential becauses of the Final Drive Size Difference? Looking into going with a Legacy Tranny for my 98rs but the final drive ratios are way different.(4.11-3.9)
Yes.

This whole thread is full of misinformation.

You do not need to swap the ECU. There is no such thing as a M/T or Auto ECU. They are identical, you just have to ground the correct wire to tell the ECU that it's connected to a M/T Trans.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,872 Posts
The problem is there are so many ways to go about the swap, depending on your needs. True, the ECU is exactly the same but the harness tells it which transmission is installed. It's not that it cares a whole lot, just raises the idle for 4eat, so it can be "tricked" easily. I reccomend a full harness swap and 5mt abs pump but they aren't necessary for everybody

·
Registered
95 L Wagon, Green
4 Posts
I have a question relating to starters. My car is a '94 1.8 FWD, and I'm planning on using a 5-spd from a '91 Legacy FWD. I know the starter is different from automatic to manual and Legacy to Impreza. Therefore, since I'm using a Legacy trans and an Impreza engine, which starter do I get? Is it engine or trans specific? Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
With help from iluvdrt on nabisco, this is how I wired my swap. Post #9 is where the technical info starts. Remember, all the 4EAT tranny wiring is the SAME for all EJ cars, legacy, impreza, forester, yada, yada.

This helped me a lot.

~Josh~

·
Registered
99' OBS GF8 Silver
37 Posts
Your amazing, one question though, just because I just bought my first subie, and I wished it were stick, does this apply to a 99 OBS Impreza as well? Arent GC8's the same as GF8's but the GC is a coupe and the GF is a wagon?

If so, what should I look for to buy for the 99 obs AT? a 2002 wrx MT would work with all the parts as well?

·
Premium Baller
05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
5,731 Posts
the number after the letters has to do with the version of the car. (correct me if im wrong)
like gc8 is the turbo edm/jdm impreza, gf8 same deal but wagon. What you have is a GF4, a 2.2L n/a wagon etc. doesn't really matter here

you can use a 2002 wrx MT, its going to cost you more but as long as you match up all the right parts (like axles/rear diff etc) it will work just fine.

·
Registered
99' OBS GF8 Silver
37 Posts
the number after the letters has to do with the version of the car. (correct me if im wrong)
like gc8 is the turbo edm/jdm impreza, gf8 same deal but wagon. What you have is a GF4, a 2.2L n/a wagon etc. doesn't really matter here

you can use a 2002 wrx MT, its going to cost you more but as long as you match up all the right parts (like axles/rear diff etc) it will work just fine.
Thanks rizzo! been thinkin hard about that one! your the man!

·
Registered
00RS Coupe, 00RSwaggin
454 Posts
So I am in the middle of this project as we speak going from 00 rs auto to a 99 5mt, i've read thru a few times just looking for a solid answer.

I'm in need of some help with this project myself i keep getting confused the longer i look at it.

What exactly is required to be done to have everything working properly?

adding the ground to ecu pin (what #?) whats the easiest way to add a pin?
VSS gets wired into gauge cluster or?
inhibitor switch or parking position switch is the one needing to be spliced together for ecu to recognize park?
any wiring to be done at the TCU after removal or is this just to control cruise, abs and auto tranny stuff?

Sorry if seems unclear at all just trying to get a little backing on exactly whats got to be wired into before i start cutting and splicing.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 L Wagon, Green
4 Posts
Manual Swap Parts

I started collecting parts for this but came across a good deal on a manual wagon and just got that instead. I have the following parts if anyone is interested:

5-speed transmission crossmember (from a 95 L)
Shifter and linkage (from a 95 L)
Pedal box with clutch cable (from a 96L)

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS2.5 #29
93 Posts
I just finished this swap about 2 days ago but ive started running in to a problem of my car throwing p1507. I completely removed the tcu and spliced the ignition wire i had a high idle but once that went away the code came.
My setup is a 98rs that was an auto that is now a stock rs ecu with emanage ultimate with a ej20k and 4.444 jdm 5speed.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS2.5 #29
93 Posts
I just finished this swap about 2 days ago but ive started running in to a problem of my car throwing p1507. I completely removed the tcu and spliced the ignition wire i had a high idle but once that went away the code came.
My setup is a 98rs that was an auto that is now a stock rs ecu with emanage ultimate with a ej20k and 4.444 jdm 5speed.
did some re-wiring and adjustments now its fine

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza L
147 Posts
Does anyone know which vehicles the pedals can be sourced from? Is it possible to use clutch/brake/gas pedals from a WRX in a 99 Impreza assuming the transmission will be hydraulic?

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Finished mine.

2000 4eat to 2000 5mt. Did it with the harness, was a "piece of cake". Took a total of 100-120 hours, and another 20-100 hours of reading up on material before doing it.

Well worth it.

-TC

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
Just finished mine up tonight. The hardest thing about it for me was removing the damn drums to remove the parking brake cables without cutting them and dealing with 2 stripped torque converter bolts and 1 stripped flex plate bolt. After that, everything was pretty much straight forward. I have a 94 L. OBD 1, no ABS, no cruise. Doesnt get more simple than that. Wiring was a breeze. Started it up, let it warm up and just went for a test drive. Shifting gears with the biggest grin on my face. Car was down for about a month and a half. Public transportation is decent where I live so getting around wasnt a problem. Now to get an alignment, adjust the parking brakes and save up for a new motor!

161 - 180 of 393 Posts