Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS BRP
64 Posts
Would it be possible to perform this swap using the original EJ25 on a 4EAT MY00 RS, with a MY02+ WRX gearbox? Or perhaps even with an STi gearbox?

I plan on converting my auto to a manual, but also plan on doing a full WRX or STi swap at some point in the far future. So perhaps if I can get a WRX or STi tranny to work with my current EJ25 in the mean time, it would be pretty cool and would save some coin. I don't mind not being turbo right now.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Yea you can put any Subaru EJ series transmission in.

the STi trans swap is more parts than most people realize and its ultimately cheaper to do all of that at the same time with a totaled STi.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS BRP
64 Posts
Yea you can put any Subaru EJ series transmission in.

the STi trans swap is more parts than most people realize and its ultimately cheaper to do all of that at the same time with a totaled STi.
I see. Thank you.

·
Registered
97 JDM Forester S/tb
1 Posts
Hi, sorry to dig up an oldish thread but I'm doing a manual conversion on a SF5 Forester St/b (I know, not a RS or GC but it is built on the same chassis) and I've got to the point of installing the shifter but theres a plate/bracket thing on the end of shifter mount at the gearbox end but I have no idea where its supposed to go. I've looked almost everywhere, the crossmember, gearbox, floor pan but nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

hayd

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
Let me add something:

Forester, Legacy Outaback front Crossmember, Rear Shifter Stay bushing and the bolts are Different than regular Impreza! Make sure you have those parts when swapping because w/o them the dog bone will not fit, the exhaust will sit low (angle of the drivetrain is changed) and you might hear different bangs/grinds/noises.

Have no clue if its been added before but just wanted to be helpful.. ;)

Trans, Driveshalft, SHifter, Clutch and The DogBone Are the same...

·
Registered
White 00 impreza rs
70 Posts
do you have anymore pictures of this because this is exactly what i have to do i cant get my key out of my car haah and i also have to do the thing with the starter to get it to start right and then i can finally be done with my swap

·
Registered
01 RSTI 93 L
733 Posts
The 2 black wires are the ones that let it know that the car is in park correct? the red and black wires just go to the solenoid. So I would connect the two black wires together? But obviously the ones inside the car not these ones on the old auto shifter

·
Registered
01 RSTI 93 L
733 Posts
yep its just the two black ones,

Thank you very much Letze. I appreciate the entire thread! Now onto wiring from the ignition to the starter. I remember I looked at the ignition on my RS before and there we're about 6 wires going to it. If its the same on my L, is there any specific color that I should splice into, or am I going to have to look at wiring diagrams/use a test light?

·
Registered
85 toyota corolla, grey,turbo
216 Posts
all i had to do was complete the little black thing that you just took a pic of and
jumper pins 11 and 12 on that 12 pin connector that came out of the auto tranny that is no longer being used.

that is what sends a ground to the starter and lets you start the car with the clutch in or not.

·
Registered
01 RSTI 93 L
733 Posts
all i had to do was complete the little black thing that you just took a pic of and
jumper pins 11 and 12 on that 12 pin connector that came out of the auto tranny that is no longer being used.

that is what sends a ground to the starter and lets you start the car with the clutch in or not.
Alright thanks! Where is this connector located exactly? What color is it, and where did it connect originally? I'm sure I can find it eventually, But I had the engine out for the first time and I'm still connecting everything in the engine bay as well. Any way you can even take a shitty cell phone picture for me?

·
Registered
95 L Wagon, Green
4 Posts
Hi guys, I'm assembling the parts to attempt this, and was wondering if everyone had to swap out the auto trans crossmember for a manual one? I've got a FWD '94 Impreza L Wagon. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
128 Posts
I have a few questions:

1. The 2 black wires by the auto shifter, am I supposed to just splice them and thats all? Like splice the end where they go to the shifter and nothing more?

2. What am I to do with the red and black wires? Splice them or nothing?

3. The 12 gauge wire to run to the clutch connector one goes to the tranny starter and the other to the ignition correct? So the wire that goes to the starter do i just ground it on the starter? Do I ground it to the ignition?

4. To run it to the starter and ignition do I use 1 long 12 gauge wire or 2 12 gauge wires and make them connect at the clutch?

Thanks in Advance!

101 - 120 of 408 Posts