Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 393 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 RSTi
165 Posts
not exactly the 5th gear in the RS transmission is a ratio of .780:1 ratio. that is 22% over driven. The outback transmission 5th gear is .871:1 ratio which makes is only 13% over driven. so I will be at high RPM at the same speed in the out back transmission but it will get rid of that hitting a wall feeling that you get when you try to accelerate in 5th gear or so I hope.

·
Registered
85 toyota corolla, grey,turbo
216 Posts
so ive got the shifter thing shorted together.
and i have also jumpered two pins on the 12 pin connector that used to connect to the automatic tranny. (they are two thicker wires)

car still wont start. i have a few harness clips that arent connected to anything under the dash.

im stuck at this point.

oh yeah the o2 sensors are not connected. (but could this cause the engine to not start at all)

·
Registered
216 Posts
i found a good diagram that shows where and what everything is doing. by taking that 12 pin plug that goes to the AT and jumpering pins 11 and 12 (or the thicker wires coming out of the backside of it) you are shorting out the circuit to the starter before the clutch ever comes into play. thus you wont have to push the clutch in to start the car as was stated numerous times before.

so my next step since this is already done is to check that this jumper from pin 11-12 is actually seeing gnd. if its not then i have to trace from there.
otherwise i am thinking of just installing a pushbutton start.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ok i checked my little jumper wire. turns out it wasnt sending a gnd because that wire had an open that was under the heat shrink.

so i just some solid core wire in there (tested continuity with a multimeter) and got a click from the starter.

turns out my problem the whole time was that stupid jumper wire. after further troubleshooting my battery needed charging and a wire brush too.

it cranked right up after getting a jump.

·
Registered
95L Impreza coupe
158 Posts
just finished up my auto to manual swap and have some questions. what did you guys do for the vss?
im getting codes p1116 and p1722 that have to do with the tcu. but i already removed the tcu. anyone have similar situation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i got a code of p1702 automatic transmission input system i dont think it means anything since there is no AT.

idk what the vss is so sorry.

·
Registered
95L Impreza coupe
158 Posts
actually already found out that once you ground the ecu all the at tranny codes will go away. now all i have to do is wire my vehicle speed sensor.

·
Banned
1987 Purple Justy
3 Posts
QUESTION!

I'm currently swapping over my auto to manual in my 2000 RS. I'm trying to line up my manual pedals from a 2002 WRX, but the bolts don't seem to be lining up...

Should I be using a 2000-2001 pedal box, or will the 02 WRX's work?

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
I have a JDM STi engine with complete wiring.

I wonder if after merging the harness I don't have to worry about messing with wiring if doing the auto to manual swap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
QUESTION!

I'm currently swapping over my auto to manual in my 2000 RS. I'm trying to line up my manual pedals from a 2002 WRX, but the bolts don't seem to be lining up...

Should I be using a 2000-2001 pedal box, or will the 02 WRX's work?
i thought the only difference was the push-pull clutch slave cylinder. hmm. idk.

as for the wiring harness merge to jdm. i would think as long as you have that clip that goes on the pedals you would be fine.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
So there are really only 2 routes you should go with this mod; Minimal and Complete

Minimal: is how I did my first swap and it's as easy as it gets. Electrical mods are: jumping the ignition key release with a screw and taping the gear selector switch to neutral. Mechanical mods are: turning the idle adjustment down until it doesn't drop below 500 rpm, swapping the trans/clutch & diff etc.

Pros: Easy as fuck, cheapest route
Cons: No ABS, Can start in gear, won't start if gear selector slips out of "N"

Complete: My current setup, just like it came from the factory. Electrical mods are: swapping the entire ECU main harness. Mechanical mods are: Swapping the ABS pump, trans/clutch & diff etc.

Pros: Complete reliability, all OEM fuctions retained
Cons: Difficult to swap harness through small hole, more expensive

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Yeah my transmission went out on me today.

I'm debating if I should swap in my JDM STi motor or just put the manual transmission in it and then do it later.

Be better if I did all at once.
Do you think iWire could do wiring like that?

81 - 100 of 393 Posts