Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

361 - 380 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey all, I am getting ready to start my 5 speed swap on my 2000rs. Problem is, looking at the wiring diagrams for my year model there is no AT/MT signal pin denoted for the ECU. Where would it be?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cross posting this since I am stuck, mods please let me know if this is a problem.

I am in the middle of my auto to manual swap and I have both transmissions sitting next to each other. Since a lot of pics in the guides have died I am having some trouble figuring out what goes where and could use some help.

These first two pics are of the STI 5 speed I am swapping into the car. Not sure what these are, I think the right one (closer to the output shaft of the trans) may be the reverse lockout, the forward (left) one idk what it is.

*Update* The right sensor must be the reverse light switch because I get a resistance measurement from it when the shifter is put into reverse and no other time, the left sensor gives me a resistance measurement when it is in any gear, but not neutral.

Using this schematic:

I am going to wire 12-11 to my clutch switch on my pedal assembly, 9-10 to the rear sensor on the manual transmission, and 4-8 to the forward sensor so the TCU knows when I am in gear (leaving the TCU in so I can retain cruise and abs hopefully).

Pretty sure this is the VSS.

These next ones are the auto that came out of the car.

I think the right one here (white insulation) is the VSS maybe? Or maybe that is the black insulated wire, not sure.

Dunno what this is, possibly some sort of sensor.

This I presume is the valve body and lock up controls.

My problems include, none of the sensors on the auto look remotely like the VSS on the manual, so I don't know if I can just pull the VSS out of the auto and replace it into the manual like many of the guides say to do. Also, jumping the neutral safety wires for the car to start is fuzzy since the large plus that includes those wire isn't marked in any way and there are about 10+ wires in it. Any help?

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an update to the post above. I think I have it figured, all three of those sensors on the auto are a part of the VSS system. However I think I can wire in the 3 wire VSS from the manual box into the old TCU wiring. In the pic of the manual gear box's VSS sensor the brown wire is ground, the white wire is power (12v), and the green wire is signal.

Problem I am having now is the pedal box I have (some GD chassis car, didn't have a front end on it so idk what year) doesn't seem to line up right. On the bench it looks exactly like the auto pedal box, but it doesn't seem to fit properly.

·
Registered
'99 RBP RSTi Coupe
203 Posts
I'm doing an auto straight to a 6 speed. Anyone know what trans cross member I need? I'm not talking about the one that supports the engine.

6 speed mount does not fit into RS automatic trans cross member

·
Registered
2000 Impreza L White
8 Posts
Problem with starting and Neutral Position Switch Code

Problems with Neutral Position Switch Low Voltage AT - YouTube

Read through this thread and still confused. Forgive my ignorance guys. I've been having trouble with a couple things.
1. Starting issue. click, click, click, click, click, ..... start. Problem is that sometimes it starts up first time and other times it's about 10+ single click sounds from the starter. Starter is new, battery is good, and battery cables are all clean. I have a feeling there is just not enough voltage to turn over every time. I have a disguised push button switch other than the clutch switch that is routed to pins 11 and 12 of the 12 pin connector in passenger side of engine bay.

2. I'm getting a P1121 Neutral Position Switch Circuit Low Input (A/T) check engine code? I included a video of how the original owner wired it up. I replaced the MT Neutral position switch with a brand new one. I'm really confused on how to wire it up to clear this code above. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Late to the game responding, but...

Grackle, the more forward sensor tells the ECU when the transmission is in neutral. Can't remember how to wire it, but I seem to have wired it to some of the pins in that AT harness.

STI8107:
Is it a continuous click, or do you have to cycle the key to get a single click.
Key. Click.
Key. Click.

For me, there wasn't enough voltage running from battery ----> ignition cylinder ----> starter (old car = too much resistance in the wires?). So I would turn the key. 1 click. Turn it back, turn it again. 1 click. After a few, it would start up perfectly. Is that your problem?

I wired up a relay that sends power directly from the battery to the starter whenever the key is turned.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza L White
8 Posts
Late to the game responding, but...

Grackle, the more forward sensor tells the ECU when the transmission is in neutral. Can't remember how to wire it, but I seem to have wired it to some of the pins in that AT harness.

STI8107:
Is it a continuous click, or do you have to cycle the key to get a single click.
Key. Click.
Key. Click.

For me, there wasn't enough voltage running from battery ----> ignition cylinder ----> starter (old car = too much resistance in the wires?). So I would turn the key. 1 click. Turn it back, turn it again. 1 click. After a few, it would start up perfectly. Is that your problem?

I wired up a relay that sends power directly from the battery to the starter whenever the key is turned.
Yeah just like that Postwarart. I am experiencing that exact problem. I may have to do the same.

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
64 Posts
finished the swap just have one question. where do I run the wire from the starter to where. it says the ignition but do they mean the tumbler I put the key in or do I have to tap a certain wire? thanks!

·
Registered
00 Impreza RS Sunburst Yellow
4 Posts
Buying a clutch kit soon. Since I am using a jdm box do I need a wrx clutch or rs2.5 clutch?
The WRX Clutch and a RS25 clutch should be one and the same as the bolt pattern is the same. I used a RS25 Block and a 2002 trans and it bolted up perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
finished the swap just have one question. where do I run the wire from the starter to where. it says the ignition but do they mean the tumbler I put the key in or do I have to tap a certain wire? thanks!
This one was fun. I had to run an extra wire about 12 gauge or larger to the ignition wiring in the steering key wiring. I cant remember at this moment but i basically did this and then also installed a kill switch since it was convenient. Just know this method will disable all safety features unless you run the wire passed the clutch switch first. there are posts about wiring in to the OEM clutch starter relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Soo, i am the originator of this thread i am a really glad a lot of conversation has gone on about this topic. My swap went well. i ended up selling my GC and she is now alive and well on the rally tracks of Oahu Hawaii! A full engine upgrade is in her future and the manual swap went very well as it still works great today. If anyone has any follow on questions about how my swap went, i will be happy to answer any further questions as i can.

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
64 Posts
This one was fun. I had to run an extra wire about 12 gauge or larger to the ignition wiring in the steering key wiring. I cant remember at this moment but i basically did this and then also installed a kill switch since it was convenient. Just know this method will disable all safety features unless you run the wire passed the clutch switch first. there are posts about wiring in to the OEM clutch starter relay.
Thank you so much for the clarification!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Holy crap. 4 posts.

This thread is the only place you've posted anything?!
I would have NEVER put so much effort into my car had I not seen this walkthrough, let alone that it was possible.

Subie-mes, if I ever meet you, I owe you a whole case of beer.

Edit: you were Letze? Nvmd. But thank you anyways. Still owe you the beer.

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
64 Posts
So today I’m going to try and start the car. Just for clarification purposes. I ran a 10g wire from the ignition harness, (4 wire harness on my 97 it says the red wire is the *12v iginition wire*) to the little male connector on the back of my starter. However now I have the wire that used to plug onto that male(I believe it’s a red wire with a yellow stripe) just hanging next to my clutch master cylinder. Is that correct or do I need attach this wire also to my 10g wire I ran and have them both connect to the starter?

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
64 Posts
The car starts but only when I flick the toggle switch I put in line it. It makes the starter run rather then turning the key (which I don’t want. If I turn the key right now nothing happens) So once the car is running I have to flick the toggle switch it off other wise the starter keeps running. Did I splice into the wrong wire? And what do I do with this wire hanging in my engine bay now? Also I tried hooking up the other wire and nothing happens.

361 - 380 of 408 Posts