Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

341 - 360 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
01 impreza rs 2.5 two door
11 Posts
Jeff-ery---I am using the auto harness, I got my speed line to work for a while but now is reading 20 miles over so I have to re track the. Wiring..the car stars like it was auto and I don't have the neutral safety switch installed, car starts without pressing the clutch tha way I don't put to much stress on the crank..

·
Registered
2000 RSTI
10 Posts
I'm going to finally be 5mt swapping my GC next month. I have a 2000 sedan.

Does anyone know if I'll run into issues trying to use a 2000 coupes main harness and ecu for the swap? The cruise and abs modules will be swapped over from the coupe harness as well. I don't see any reason I can't but I don't know where power to the rear doors comes from within the harness. Also wasn't sure if there might be some other hidden issue I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
01 impreza rs 2.5 two door
11 Posts
if you do the swap you abs and cruise control won't work, unless you get a manual harness to be swap, I did mine swap and the abs md cruise control deleted

·
Registered
105 Posts
So I read through the parts list for this thread and the 6 speed swap thread.

My question is other than the 6spd drivetrain I need all the other rs parts right? For instance i can still use the rs pedals instead of the 6 speed pedals etc.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
So I read through the parts list for this thread and the 6 speed swap thread.

My question is other than the 6spd drivetrain I need all the other rs parts right? For instance i can still use the rs pedals instead of the 6 speed pedals etc.
RS pedals dont need to be changed. Only have to change pedals if youre going from cable to hydro like I did. (I have RS pedals in my OBS with an 07 STi driveline in it.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
RS pedals dont need to be changed. Only have to change pedals if youre going from cable to hydro like I did. (I have RS pedals in my OBS with an 07 STi driveline in it.)
I will be going from auto rs 2.5 to 6 speed. Should I just collect the parts for the 6 speed then that are equivalent to this list or do I still grab the rs parts other than the 6 speed drivetrain?

Sorry if this is confusing I can't think of a clear way to state it.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
Oh sorry, I forgot this was auto to manual discussion, not just 6-speed conversion.

You can get RS pedals or pedals from any manual GD, either will work. I think GD may need a couple holes massaged to get all the bolts in, but other than that works the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking to do auto to manual swap need to know what transmission i can use i looked on a few forums and read a few builds I know I either need to take the rear diff. With the tranny I got it from or match my 4.11 diff. So with that said I just need to confirm what year and generations of subaru manual transmission I can swap in auto subaru impreza 2.5rs gc8
I think subaru forester xt would fit with the matching diff. Of 4.11
But I seen a out back transmission and pedal assembly same year as my car from the junkyard
Thank you for the advice sick of driving a auto 😊

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, sil
199 Posts
01-02 outback (probably any foresters/outback as they have higher ride height but idk) you can use the trans and diff, need impreza drive shaft since wheel base is longer on other models. But the cross member is way lower set. o accomadate increased ride height, they lowered the cross member/front sub frame so you will need actual impreza trans cross member. I found this out when my outback trans shift linkage was wedged against the drive shaft. You will also need the rear shifter bushing that bolts the the body behind shifter housing. I just cut mine and welded it higher up and it works fine. Look up pics of the bushing and you will see the difference. Pretty simple

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this as I haven't seen (or I missed it) in this thread. I have a ver.5 STI 5 speed on the way for my 00RS auto to manual conversion. Will I be able to use the flywheel they are sending me?

·
Registered
1999 RS RBP
47 Posts
You might want to think about getting a replacement...I believe 02-05 5mt wrx uses the same flywheel as the gc sti. You could get the one they send you turned but I've heard that this is not advisable, apparently turning sometimes causes unwanted vibrations, ect...

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,000 Posts
I got a nice low mileage flywheel, very smooth and almost no sings of wear. Off a Jdm 98 v4 wrx engine, when compared it to the 02-03 wrx flywheels looked like a twin.

It's for sale if interested

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you tie the two black wires together to fool the car into thinking it is in park or neutral, does that prevent the cruise control from working?

·
Registered
00 silver metallic rs 2.5
95 Posts
I did this swap last summer and have been driving it. Never hooked up the speedo which I believe is causing a random stalling after pressing in the clutch coming to a stop. Since the photos are lack luster in this thread does anyone have have a detailed write up for wiring the vss/speedo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did this swap last summer and have been driving it. Never hooked up the speedo which I believe is causing a random stalling after pressing in the clutch coming to a stop. Since the photos are lack luster in this thread does anyone have have a detailed write up for wiring the vss/speedo.
You are supposed to pull the old VSS out of your original transmission and put it into the new manual transmission. Then your factory wiring should plug right in.

341 - 360 of 404 Posts