Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

301 - 320 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easier? Idk about easier lol but when it comes down to full function IMO I think it would be better to have a straight plug and play and not have to worry about issues.

People have gotten their abs, speedo, and reverse to work just with simple wiring. Not sure about cruise control though

People skip the harness cause it's less work, cheaper, and easier.
I found some decent deal on harnesses so cost is not a issue right now, and having worked on a rally team, pulling the dash is not to bad anymore. I am just not an electrician and think having a plug and play is better.

I would still love to know where the best list to make it all work, and I would like the cruise to work. Would be interested in getting a final draft of the process without changing the harness is though and I might consider using what I have, just not an electrician and don't want to wreck the car overall (got a great deal on the car and the extra drive line).

Thanks - Subie_doo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would swapping a 5mt out of a '96 OBS into a '00 OBS be of any issue? I'm mostly worried about wiring connectors being different between years. Also concerned that the '96 trans is a manual VSS versus the electronic VSS on the '00. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
There will be wiring differences on the '96. The older trans uses a cable speedo while the newer uses an electric one. The cable speedo will attach right to the new trans in place of the electric one. I am buttoning up my swap right now (98 legacy gt 5mt into '97 impreza)

·
Registered
9 Posts
So how can a guy make a cable speedo trans ('96) work in an electronic speedo car ('00)? Is it possible without having to swap gauge clusters and/or wiring harnesses? Are any of the "wiring differences" between the model years going to come into play with the swap?

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
You will take the whole electric speed sensor out, unthread it, and replace it with the cable style. You might need to get a pick tool and take the grommet out from underneath the cable sensor. Mine was stuck in the trans. Just take everything from the cable sensor and thread in onto the new trans

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
I'm currently stuck with my attempt to repin the ECU. I have located the pins, and have decided to use pin 80, which according to my pin out, is the AT diagnosis input. As far as I am concerned I will never need this again considering I'm ground pin 81 for the MT identifier. However, I can't get the pin out of the harness connecter. Even after removing the white locking tab, I just can't seem to get the pin to release from inside of the connector. I don't understand.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
I don't know which part you have to lift. I've heard a lot about people using needles or very small tools, like jewelers tools. I have some small screwdrivers but nothing that small

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
I've thought about doing that. So after you slide the white plastic locking tab out of the way, is there anywhere in particular I should use the small to to lightly pry on any other small locking tabs holding it in?

·
Registered
SF6, paint code: murda-187
355 Posts
there's no pin in that slot. that white tab inside needs to be lifted to allow the pin to be removed.

if you ground down a needle thin enough to fit, it won't be strong enough to lift the tab. you'd have to finnagle it through so it slides underneath the tab so you can pull the wire pin out. it's a real beach that i would be desperate enough to just cut the wire.

what do your pins look like anyway? i know on my 01MY, they were the large ones that are easy to remove. on my 05MY, they're the biggest beach to do, they're so small.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts

Note my pin 80 that's already seeing some issues... Luckily I don't need that anymore but I'm trying not to damage it any further. (this is what happens when your friend goes "let me try")

·
Registered
SF6, paint code: murda-187
355 Posts
haha.

never seen them like that. i guess that much older. hard to tell the size, but should go like this...

sometimes you've got to push the wire pin forward to get a gap between the pin and the tab so you can catch the end of that tab with whatever tool you're using. then you lift the tab away, and pull the wire pin out.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Mica Blue
12 Posts
Hey guys, I literally just finished a full drive train swap from an 06' WRX to my 2000 RS.

Now everything when super smoothly installing all the necessities and what not and I'm super happy with the results! :D of course being here, You all should know that I'm having some sort of problem..

After taking care of some small issues with wiring, I have a few more things to go. From what I understand, I know how to go about the reverse lights, speedometer, and the key bypass. What I'm currently having a problem with is my idle. Of course I've scoward the Internet hoping for a clue as to why my car idles at 2000 RPM or more. Would it be some kind of wiring issue?

As far as wiring goes, this is what I've done so far.
1) Crossed wires near shifter to negate the ignition key lock safety.
2) plugged in the module that was on the auto tranny and kept the switch in park so I can start the car.

Everything else I'm going to do tomorrow like the reverse lights and speedo.

I was hoping someone would have an idea or 2 as to why this is? I have a day and a half to find out before making the trip back to Orlando FL, from Tennessee..

·
Registered
2000, 2.5RS, Sedona Red Pearl
110 Posts
Hey I just finished my auto to manual conversion. I was able to get everything to work beside the speedo but I will be finishing that this week. I have no engine codes, reverse lights work, idle is between 750-1000 and cold start is 1500. I was able to retain my ABS with the automatic ECU and will be writing a full step by step instruction with photos to show you how to install the mechanical pieces of the swap as well as the wiring portion of it. I had a lot of doubt that things were going to work out correctly but in the end everything was done right and runs exactly how it should. In my personal opinion, now is the time to buy a light weight flywheel, LSD differential, bushings and a short throw. The combination of these few things really make a difference. And if you can afford it, new sway bars, lateral links, end links, mounts, trailing arms, tie rods, and control arms will change how the car handle. Don't forget to factor in the price of a new alignment. That's my two cent, if you guys have any questions, shoot me a PM and i'll try my best to answer them and send photos. My swap was for my 2000 RS. I can't really help with 98 or legacys and such.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru STi, 2000 2.5RS
9 Posts
Hey I just finished my auto to manual conversion. I was able to get everything to work beside the speedo but I will be finishing that this week. I have no engine codes, reverse lights work, idle is between 750-1000 and cold start is 1500. I was able to retain my ABS with the automatic ECU and will be writing a full step by step instruction with photos to show you how to install the mechanical pieces of the swap as well as the wiring portion of it. I had a lot of doubt that things were going to work out correctly but in the end everything was done right and runs exactly how it should. In my personal opinion, now is the time to buy a light weight flywheel, LSD differential, bushings and a short throw. The combination of these few things really make a difference. And if you can afford it, new sway bars, lateral links, end links, mounts, trailing arms, tie rods, and control arms will change how the car handle. Don't forget to factor in the price of a new alignment. That's my two cent, if you guys have any questions, shoot me a PM and i'll try my best to answer them and send photos. My swap was for my 2000 RS. I can't really help with 98 or legacys and such.
Please make this write-up happen. I would greatly appreciate it. I'm considering this swap in my 2000 RS. I did it in my 94 Honda Civic, but this is a little more involved and I would like to prepare information as much as possible beforehand.

·
Registered
2000, 2.5RS, Sedona Red Pearl
110 Posts
Please make this write-up happen. I would greatly appreciate it. I'm considering this swap in my 2000 RS. I did it in my 94 Honda Civic, but this is a little more involved and I would like to prepare information as much as possible beforehand.
I'm only on page 11 of writing it, it should be down relatively soon, I still need to add pictures.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
I too recently finished this swap and can send what pics might be needed or answer questions. My swap was a 98 Legacy GT 5MT into a 97 Impreza L that was an automatic. 1,000 miles now and still no problems from the drive train aside from a rather finicky hydro system

·
Registered
'00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
56 Posts
I have a Auto Transmission 2000 Impreza RS and I'm planning to get it swapped into Manual Transmission. Can anyone tell me how much would it cost to make it happen ? Thanks .

301 - 320 of 393 Posts