Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

261 - 280 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
Oh yea I forgot to mention my car now starts on the second position meaning just two clicks of the key and it turns over. Like I don't even have to turn it to start on my iginition.

·
Registered
96 Impreza brighton
6 Posts
so in my case i have a 2000 impreza 2.5 rs auto and want to switch it to manual. i also have a 96 brighton impreza manual would i be able to switch those manual parts over for the switch? thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza LX
24 Posts
I really hope someone checks this thread and can help.

Swap: 96 Manual LX into 97 Auto Brighton.
Completed swap ok and the car was running and drivable.
After 60 miles of driving, I believe 5 full drive cycles, the car came up with a CEL.
P1101 "Neutral Position Switch Circuit"

This is how I did the wiring "under the hood". (12 pin pigtail) I am not sure if this is correct or not. For my reverse lights I ran them from the pins here (9-10) to the pigtail that then goes to the switch on the trans. My reverse lights do indeed work correctly. For the "NSS" I jumped the pins 11 and 12 as explained in this thread.

Did I not do something correctly? I don't understand why I would have no code for 60 miles then the code shows up. I have no idle issues or anything out of the normal at all.

I have searched for days without a solid answer and have tried multiple things with the car. I couldn't get the code to go away so I finally cleared it, but this doesn't really help me if it's just going to come back on and I fail emissions testing.

Thanks in advance. (A couple pictures would be VERY helpful)

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
I really hope someone checks this thread and can help.

Swap: 96 Manual LX into 97 Auto Brighton.
Completed swap ok and the car was running and drivable.
After 60 miles of driving, I believe 5 full drive cycles, the car came up with a CEL.
P1101 "Neutral Position Switch Circuit"

This is how I did the wiring "under the hood". (12 pin pigtail) I am not sure if this is correct or not. For my reverse lights I ran them from the pins here (9-10) to the pigtail that then goes to the switch on the trans. My reverse lights do indeed work correctly. For the "NSS" I jumped the pins 11 and 12 as explained in this thread.

Did I not do something correctly? I don't understand why I would have no code for 60 miles then the code shows up. I have no idle issues or anything out of the normal at all.

I have searched for days without a solid answer and have tried multiple things with the car. I couldn't get the code to go away so I finally cleared it, but this doesn't really help me if it's just going to come back on and I fail emissions testing.

Thanks in advance. (A couple pictures would be VERY helpful)

What i did and i think it worked was i disconnected the neutral position switch terminal from my ecu and connected it directly to the brown plug on the transmission. So one goes to ground and the other goes to my ecu. I think it worked because the code went away and my only code now is my speed sensor code because i have none but im fixing it tomorrow. but i barely just got one today and it will be fixed tomorrow. haha

·
Registered
1996 Impreza LX
24 Posts
What i did and i think it worked was i disconnected the neutral position switch terminal from my ecu and connected it directly to the brown plug on the transmission. So one goes to ground and the other goes to my ecu. I think it worked because the code went away and my only code now is my speed sensor code because i have none but im fixing it tomorrow. but i barely just got one today and it will be fixed tomorrow. haha
AH! That makes a bit of sense. I do remember reading from pin 12 to switch to ground. Wasn't sure what "switch" that was supposed to be.

So according to the wiring diagram pin 82 is the wire you speak of?
The diagram I am using is here, "MY 97" NorthUrsalia.com: Wiring Diagrams And ECU Pinouts

Cut wire after it "exits" the ecu, solder another length of wire to it that then connects to the pigtail (on the transmission) that then goes to the NSS?
The other pin on that pigtail then would go to a ground?

^This makes sense because then the car would know when you are in gear or not and that would constantly be changing while driving in the city. I will try what you said.

Oh and that would mean that I could remove the bridge 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail?

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
AH! That makes a bit of sense. I do remember reading from pin 12 to switch to ground. Wasn't sure what "switch" that was supposed to be.

So according to the wiring diagram pin 82 is the wire you speak of?
The diagram I am using is here, "MY 97" NorthUrsalia.com: Wiring Diagrams And ECU Pinouts

Cut wire after it "exits" the ecu, solder another length of wire to it that then connects to the pigtail (on the transmission) that then goes to the NSS?
The other pin on that pigtail then would go to a ground?

^This makes sense because then the car would know when you are in gear or not and that would constantly be changing while driving in the city. I will try what you said.

Oh and that would mean that I could remove the bridge 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail?
Yes take out terminal 82 or snip it and run a wire from the ecu end to the brown plug on the transmission i believe its terminal 1 on the brown plug and terminal 2 is grounded. Im not sure what you mean about bridging 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail. I didn't really use my automatic transmission plugs in my engine bay only to use there reverse lights and maybe the speed sensor. lol i haven't looked into that.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza LX
24 Posts
Yes take out terminal 82 or snip it and run a wire from the ecu end to the brown plug on the transmission i believe its terminal 1 on the brown plug and terminal 2 is grounded. Im not sure what you mean about bridging 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail. I didn't really use my automatic transmission plugs in my engine bay only to use there reverse lights and maybe the speed sensor. lol i haven't looked into that.
Oh ok.
I am going to do this tomorrow and start driving it around again and see what happens. Thanks!

My speed sensor is cable driven and works fine. I wish I could lend the helping hand back to you :/

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
Oh ok.
I am going to do this tomorrow and start driving it around again and see what happens. Thanks!

My speed sensor is cable driven and works fine. I wish I could lend the helping hand back to you :/
Lol its alright i managed to get it working.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza LX
24 Posts
I wired it up like we talked about and haven't had that CEL come back.

The problem now is a new CEL is coming up on the second drive cycle.
P1100 Starter Switch Circuit Malfunction

After it came up the first time I cleared it and it came back at nearly the exact same time. I drove the car for about 15 minutes putting 10-12 miles on it. Shut it off for a couple minutes then started driving again. After about 3 miles the CEL came on.... while driving.

WTF
I just want this thing to get through emissions so I can register it... ugh

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
I wired it up like we talked about and haven't had that CEL come back.

The problem now is a new CEL is coming up on the second drive cycle.
P1100 Starter Switch Circuit Malfunction

After it came up the first time I cleared it and it came back at nearly the exact same time. I drove the car for about 15 minutes putting 10-12 miles on it. Shut it off for a couple minutes then started driving again. After about 3 miles the CEL came on.... while driving.

WTF
I just want this thing to get through emissions so I can register it... ugh
Weird. I kinda experienced something similar after I fixed mine. I never got the speed sensor cel until I fixed my neutral position switch. But I can see how those go kind of hand in hand but your seems different. How did you wire your starter? Maybe there some sort of back current that messed up your starter relay? Does it start fine?

·
Registered
1996 Impreza LX
24 Posts
I ran a wire from the tumbler to the clutch pedal switch, then out to the starter solenoid.
The wire only has current going through it when the key is in the cranking position.

Maybe I need to go back and wire it through the factory system. Just odd this code didn't come up at all before. It was after I fixed the NSS issue, which hasn't come back yet, thank you!

But it does start fine the way I have it wired.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
I ran a wire from the tumbler to the clutch pedal switch, then out to the starter solenoid.
The wire only has current going through it when the key is in the cranking position.

Maybe I need to go back and wire it through the factory system. Just odd this code didn't come up at all before. It was after I fixed the NSS issue, which hasn't come back yet, thank you!

But it does start fine the way I have it wired.
Ya that's weird. I ran it the same exact way and I never had that code pope up. Maybe something to do with the manual and auto identification. Since you plugged in the manual setting for the neutral position switch is triggering it? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2001 2.5Rs STM
13 Posts
Can anyone answer this question for me please? I'm currently in the collective phase of this project and have aquired the majority of the parts, except for the transmission itself and the manual starter.

I would like to know, would I also need to pick up/ change out the cross member as well for a manual transmission or will my current cross member work? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Can anyone answer this question for me please? I'm currently in the collective phase of this project and have aquired the majority of the parts, except for the transmission itself and the manual starter.

I would like to know, would I also need to pick up/ change out the cross member as well for a manual transmission or will my current cross member work? Thanks in advance.
Crossmember works. You'll need the transmission mount to the unibody frame, 5mt trans mount/bushing.

-TC

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts

You'll need the transmission crossmember. It looks like an h. But the engine crossmember where your motor mounts are will work.

·
Registered
00 GC8, 99 TS, 00 RS, 97 B-wag
100 Posts
can anyone help me with a question?

I have an 02 wrx tranny manual and an automatic 2000 RS.
What parts will I need for this transition?

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
can anyone help me with a question?

I have an 02 wrx tranny manual and an automatic 2000 RS.
What parts will I need for this transition?
I would start by reading through the whole thread first.
You need a lot.....
x2

Namely - trans, some drive shaft (not sure which), rear diff, all clutch components (different style clutch fork and engagement vs. RS)

You may also have to swap out half shafts, and frankenstein your sensors around. Main harness swap or splice and merge for ECU to know it's manual. I'm not sure what else is needed.

Only benefit to that tranny is lower FD of 3.90 vs. the RS at 4.111. This will make highway cruising sip less gas, but also kill your 0-60 time in the process.

-TC

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,801 Posts
More than FD is different. Gears are physically longer cut along with shift linkage doesn't swap over, and a great many other things. BTW only the front final drive is 3.9 depending on year, and even then the 06/07' TR is 3.7FD. The rear on the 2.0L US WRX's is 3.54

261 - 280 of 393 Posts