Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
1997 impreza
65 Posts
Do I need to run a wire from the ignition to the clutch switch to the starter even though I have it jumping the neutral switch wires?
i had to do that in mine on the ignition switch it should be the very bottom terminal.... check it with a voltmeter or light prob.... wierd thing on my car was that the pin 81 that wasnt suppose to be there was there not sure why

·
Registered
98 2.5RS RBP
170 Posts
pin 81 is for the AT/MT identification and just has to be grounded. if the car starts without the clutch switch wired in then u dont NEED it, but its good to have.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza (Awaiting Swap)
762 Posts
Quick question guys, i have a 2000 Subaru Impreza Rs (sedan if that matter) its totaled but the transmission is a 5 speed and in good condition.
Looking at buying a 2001 Subaru Impreza Rs (sedan) Same as my car just a year newer and with an auto Transmission.
I have all the parts i think, just take them from my old car. But if i wanted Cruise Control/ ABS breaks i would have to put the wiring harness from my old, totaled car, into my new one? Would i need the whole Harness?
I think i would also need the computer from my old car as well?

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
Just completed this swap in a 98L. HUGE THANKS for the thread!! Everything has worked out fairly smooth, with a couple exceptions:

A kind officer just let me know that the reverse lights are on all the time. Turns out they are on anytime the car is in gear, but not in neutral. Any ideas? I am thinking we used one of the wrong pins on the vehicle harness side. We used the Auto <> harness pigtails and just repinned them and connected them to the reverse and neutral sensors using spade terminals, so it is an easy fix if that is the issue. Reviewing the schematic now.

The mechanical is not totally relevant to this thread, although I am sure someone looking to do this swap will benefit from it.

We are using a 4.11 out of a 98 Legacy, and a 4.11 rear diff from an 04-05'ish Legacy GT that received an STI swap. Little did I realize the 98L has an old style axle that is NOT compatible with the new style R160, which is not what many forum folks believe to be true. Bottom line: Phase 1 diff = Phase 1 axles, and the same for phase 2. Luckily I had the axles handy from my 99L that received an STI swap, and it originally had a Phase 2 3.90 R160 so it's axles worked out great. The DO fit in 06 WRX hubs BTW...

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
A kind officer just let me know that the reverse lights are on all the time. Turns out they are on anytime the car is in gear, but not in neutral. Any ideas? I am thinking we used one of the wrong pins on the vehicle harness side. We used the Auto <> harness pigtails and just repinned them and connected them to the reverse and neutral sensors using spade terminals, so it is an easy fix if that is the issue. Reviewing the schematic now.
You have the neutral and reverse wiring switched.

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
Ya I suspected as much. Also makes sense cause the car starts a lot easier in reverse than any other gear.

Oh, just realize that cruise control works....somehow!!

Hmm swapped the reverse and neutral wires, and now the reverse lights work properly...and cruise does not. I am going to figure this one out...I think it has something to do with a ground as the cruise control

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished manual to auto swap

I just finished swapping a 97 2.2 auto into a 99 2.5 manual. If anyone tries to swap either way if you want to make your life easier you need a donor car because you will need the complete wiring harness behind the dash and back thru the car along with the dash pad harness and gauge cluster as well, and you have to make sure your donor car has the same options you want to work when put it back together. Once you have the dash out of both vehicles you can swap your pedal assemblies and shift linkages. You will need the tranny mounts and bolts and the first 2 pieces of the driveshaft will need to be switched because of the different lengths of the trannys. My rear differentials had the same gear ratio but you need to check the tags to see if they correspond to each other or not. You will need to swap the pressure sensors on the strut tower behind the air box (only if swapping to auto there is an extra sensor). Your wiring harness is your biggest obstacle because they are completely different between a manual and auto and the years (only for the fuel pump which is in the harness back thru the vehicle. 96 back 1 plug, 97-99 2 plug, 98-02 3 plug. I have seen 98's with 3 plugs and 99's with two). Depending on your year and computer being used (if your swapping to an auto) a ground is missing from the ecm plug you will know this by the check engine light coming on with codes p1742 and p1116, if you do then on the ecm plug turn it around and on the left side of the plug towards the center on the bottom there will be a blue W/ red stripe wire, a open hole, then a pink wire, in the open hole is where you need to make a ground, which you can do by pulling one of the plugs out of the other harness you have putting it into that open space and wiring it to the blue with red stripe wire beside it. Hope this helps you get started with your swap.

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
I just finished swapping a 97 2.2 auto into a 99 2.5 manual. If anyone tries to swap either way if you want to make your life easier you need a donor car because you will need the complete wiring harness behind the dash and back thru the car along with the dash pad harness and gauge cluster as well, and you have to make sure your donor car has the same options you want to work when put it back together. Once you have the dash out of both vehicles you can swap your pedal assemblies and shift linkages. You will need the tranny mounts and bolts and the first 2 pieces of the driveshaft will need to be switched because of the different lengths of the trannys. My rear differentials had the same gear ratio but you need to check the tags to see if they correspond to each other or not. You will need to swap the pressure sensors on the strut tower behind the air box (only if swapping to auto there is an extra sensor). Your wiring harness is your biggest obstacle because they are completely different between a manual and auto and the years (only for the fuel pump which is in the harness back thru the vehicle. 96 back 1 plug, 97-99 2 plug, 98-02 3 plug. I have seen 98's with 3 plugs and 99's with two). Depending on your year and computer being used (if your swapping to an auto) a ground is missing from the ecm plug you will know this by the check engine light coming on with codes p1742 and p1116, if you do then on the ecm plug turn it around and on the left side of the plug towards the center on the bottom there will be a blue W/ red stripe wire, a open hole, then a pink wire, in the open hole is where you need to make a ground, which you can do by pulling one of the plugs out of the other harness you have putting it into that open space and wiring it to the blue with red stripe wire beside it. Hope this helps you get started with your swap.

You don't need any of that harness BS, splice 6 wires at the plugs for the trans and ground the mt/at pin at the ecu. Done.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
I did the full swap with harness, abs pump, mt cruise module. Worked for over 12,000 miles with no CELs related to anything in the wiring. It was worth the effort in my opinion.

-TC

·
Registered
2.2 97L & 02 wrx
1,701 Posts
i just did the swap and ran into my only issue unles someone has an easy fix: did a 96 5mt from 1.8 into a 99rs and my speedo/miles don't work. trans was a cable style speed and my auto rs was electronic. anyone know a simple fix?

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
i just did the swap and ran into my only issue unles someone has an easy fix: did a 96 5mt from 1.8 into a 99rs and my speedo/miles don't work. trans was a cable style speed and my auto rs was electronic. anyone know a simple fix?
Put a speed sensor in the 5 speed. It screws in place of the cable drive.

·
Registered
2.2 97L & 02 wrx
1,701 Posts
Put a speed sensor in the 5 speed. It screws in place of the cable drive.
are you saying take the elctronic unit out of the auto and put it into the 5mt?

other thought is swapping the cluster with a cable style one, but not sure what other wiring could be involved with that. also what year cluster would i have to acquire/fit

221 - 240 of 393 Posts