Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of a performing a DIY alignment on the RS. There was a great article in GrassRootsMotorsports a few months ago about doing a good alignment in your own garage. Included methods to ensure your alignment was repeatable and accurate. Anybody remember this article or know where I can find it on the web? Also, anybody ever tried their doing their own alignment. I'd like to learn so I can make adjustments based on the autox track, long drive, etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
We did our own with a ruler (36"), string & plumb bob, angle finder and claculator.

Find the center of the car both front and rear (we used suspension pivot points) and use the plumb bob and string to mark the floor while running the string between the marks.

Next measure the rear wheels inside at axle height and plumb bob to the floor. Do both sides of the wheel, front/back and measure the marks to the center line. Differences will be toe in/out.

Do the same with the front wheels making sure the measurements are equal for both sides of the car.

Camber is measured by using an angle finder (as accurate as possible) and measuring the wheel inline vertically with the axle. Adjusting camber will alter toe, so recheck after any camber adjustments. Sandwiching oil&2 sheets of plastic under the tires will make adjustments easier.

After we did our cars, a pro checked them over and found us to be within 1/32" total toe and dead on camber.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts