Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Been wanting to do this mod for a while and finally got around to doing it. Went to Lowe's today and bought some plastic epoxy and sandpaper. I figured it's a pretty easy process and this should answer any questions once and for all.

*NOTE* I know I could have just grabbed some 3M Auto Tape and stuck it on the grill, but I like things bolted down very securely. (This thing isn't going ANYWHERE!)

Anyway, for materials this is what I used:

- Loctite Plastic Epoxy (7 minute set time): $3.98
- Assorted grit sandpaper (50, 80, 120): $3.97
- Nuts and bolts (I used 8-32x1/2): $1.98
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Black and Metallic Sharpies
- Rubber Gloves
- Dremel tool
- Piece of mesh to practice

1.) This isn't neccessary, but I only wanted the 2.5RS emblem, not the Impreza part. I just used a band saw then sanded it down, took 5 minutes, if that.

2.) I don't know what the formal name for this step is, but I just saw it as 'making a shadow'. I traced the 2.5RS emblem onto a sheet of plastic so I had, well, a "shadow" of the emblem. Make sure you get this piece as exact as possible, you'll be glad you did later. Took maybe 20 minutes between tracing, cutting, and then sanding/reshaping.

3.) Plan out where exactly you want your bolts to be. I didn't take the time to measure the holes in my mesh, and I probably could've gotten away with only 2 or 3 bolts, so take the time to measure!

4.) This part is easy. Take the metallic sharpie and put a dot where the nuts are.

5.) Using whatever you want really, (I just used a dremel) drill your holes where you marked. I gave it a test fit and saw that the bolts stuck out of the plastic a good millimeter or so.

6.) To solve this, I gave all the holes a beveled edge so the bolts would sink into the plastic and be nice and flush.

7.) When you're satisfied the bolts are nice and flush and lined up properly, cover up everything important on the emblem with masking tape. I skimped on this, and regretted it. Cover up anything that will be showing with masking tape, trust me.

8.) Scuff up the two sides that will be epoxied with the sandpaper. Use the rubbing alcohol to make sure the two sides are squeaky clean. BE CAREFUL with the epoxy, I literally got it on everything (hence why I stress the masking tape, oh and maybe I should add gloves to the list...). I'm still peeling the damn stuff off my fingers as I type this.

Apply it to both the shadow and the emblem and stick them together. I would suggest using clamps to hold the pieces together, but rubber bands will do just fine. They're just a pain to get off if you have epoxy everywhere :lol:.

9.) Let it set for a while, I gave it about 7 hours before I tinkered with it. Be careful taking everything apart. I spent about a half hour with sandpaper and a utility knife getting the glue off everything. Take your rubbing alcohol and use it to clean everything up. Use your piece of mesh to see how everything lines up and bolt everything together.

10.) Line up exactly where you want it in your grill, and use the sharpie to mark where you must cut the mesh for the bolts. I chose to put the emblem in the right third of my grill, I've seen a lot of them closer to the right like the stock STi grills.

Pics on the car:

I think that's about it, any questions let me know.

Happy Modding!
-Mike

·
Registered
Mazda 3
2,484 Posts
wow i was trying to just super glue mine on today, all i accomplished was to glue my fingers a nice new skin coating!

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow i was trying to just super glue mine on today, all i accomplished was to glue my fingers a nice new skin coating!
Exactly! At least now I have peace of mind that this emblem is on there pretty much as strong as it can be. Oh, peeling skin too lol.

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
Great job, Man! I have mine with 3m tape...but this is so simple and way more effective! Gonna have to do this! ;)

·
Banned
349 Posts
isnt it easier to just use 3M tape? After I did mine with it, I tried my best to pry it off, and I thought i was gonna yank my whole grill off.:lol:

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
isnt it easier to just use 3M tape? After I did mine with it, I tried my best to pry it off, and I thought i was gonna yank my whole grill off.:lol:
Oh it's MUCH easier to just stick it on there, but me and tape don't have the best history. I've heard only good things about the 3M tape, but I'm a nut-and-bolt kind of guy whenever possible.

I seem to be getting more PM's about my grill then the actual emblem, if you guys want I'll do a write up about how I did my grill, complete with my nut-and-bolt philosophy!

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
used the tape that comes on a new one and slapped it on.....that was 5 months ago lol

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said, I know it's a million times easier to just peel and stick, so for you guys that used that method, that's great. I prefer using nuts and bolts whenever possible for the most permanent hold.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Oh it's MUCH easier to just stick it on there, but me and tape don't have the best history. I've heard only good things about the 3M tape, but I'm a nut-and-bolt kind of guy whenever possible.

I seem to be getting more PM's about my grill then the actual emblem, if you guys want I'll do a write up about how I did my grill, complete with my nut-and-bolt philosophy!

I'd love a write up on the grille. I want mine to look like that.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love a write up on the grille. I want mine to look like that.
Maybe this weekend if I have a few hours to kill I'll simply take mine apart and show how it's done. Any one else interested?

nice DIY, where did you get the extra badge?
I got my extra badge from a member of this forum, blk01impreza. She debadged her car and sent it my way. It's not in pristine condition, but from 2 feet away you can't really tell it's a little scratched up. A lot of the people who debadge just have them sitting around.

·
Registered
Mazda 3
2,484 Posts
i have mine on my grill now my car looks pretty mean! like its got a fang or something! anybody care for pics?

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: krzemiener has been generous enough to be my guinea pig, and let me use his grill for the write up. I will try to capture each step with as much detail as I can, as this can be a scary mod to do.

If anyone feels as though I should emphasize more on a certain step, please let me know now.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
nice job, did that same thing as well as the DIY mesh grill on my 92 turbo legacy i had but i put in a AWD emblem. same thing im gonna do to my impreza. but i just used grey silicon to hold it on and it stayed for over 2years and its still on there now.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice job, did that same thing as well as the DIY mesh grill on my 92 turbo legacy i had but i put in a AWD emblem. same thing im gonna do to my impreza. but i just used grey silicon to hold it on and it stayed for over 2years and its still on there now.
It's the same thing for me with the mesh, I just prefer nuts and bolts whenever possible. I'm really hoping I can get my hands on some of the new '09 WRX emblems, as they're displayed in the grill now too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts