Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I know this has been brought up a bunch but I got a question for anyone willing to answer. So I completed a drum to disc conversion on my 97 impreza wagon and I used rs cables. Problem is there is way too much slack and the e brake doesn’t even engage, and I even added a spacer at the adjustable part to try and pull that slack out but to no prevail. What e brake cables should I use?

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,942 Posts
GC RS ebrake cables are about as good as youre gonna find for your car.

a video would do as well as many words, eh?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GC RS ebrake cables are about as good as youre gonna find for your car.

a video would do as well as many words, eh?
I’ll take a look at the video, one of the cables is from Subaru themselves and the other is from dorman I believe and there is a crazy amount of slack. So much infact, I added a spacer for the in cabin adjustability part to try and pull out all slack I can. Yet I still got too much. I just might grind the on hub e brake port and use my old cables

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,942 Posts
The GC, GM and GF have almost identical floor pans. If your cables are too long, then they are for a different generation car (perhaps mislabled?). I meant to find a video on how to adjust the parking brakes at the brakes themselves. I'd suggest trying that before scrapping the RS brake lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Realjacob what components and chassis did you get your conversion from? I’m looking to do the same to my gf8 and haven’t found a definitive answer yet. I’ve been told legacy rear trailing arms and hubs etc, forester. Can you help clarify?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No prob! So essentially I pulled it off of a 98 Subaru Legacy chassis. For the ebrake cable I pulled that as well off the legacy, but it didn’t work. So now I’m going to dremel down the stock Impreza wagon ebrake cable end and make something happen. The length of the legacy one was too long and would only be working on full extension of the brake and even then it would barely be holding on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts