Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I'd like to wire in a switch to enable/disable the ABS on my 1998 2.5 RS at will. I'd like to have it wired so that the switch sits nicely in the dash. I have a place to install the switch, however I have too many options and not enough info on how to go about doing this. I've been doing a lot of research and the general consensus among many different forums is to remove my ABS/CC fuse and put in a fuse socket connecter to hook the switch up to, along with an inline fuse. Like this image below:

However, I cant find that little yellow adaptor for sale in many places online. The best I've found is this $20 set that comes with way more adaptors than I'll ever need. I was looking at buying it when I read a warning from the manufacturer that it is not designed to handle a constant current and is only for testing purposes.

A few other options I have are to wire in a switch to disable a wheel speed sensor, or wire in a switch directly into a power line for the ABS pump. Both of these seem over complicated and risky so I'd rather not try them.

Does anyone have any more ideas or ways to make my first option safely work? I need this to be reliable and practical, hence why I'm wiring in a switch rather than just pulling the ABS/CC fuse. Any info is super useful as I know very very little about electrical work. I'd like to avoid any soldering/permanent mods so that this can easily be reversed if it fails.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're comfortable with electrical work you could wire a switch in line with the power wire for the abs fuse on the back side of the fuse panel. The only thing with doing any of this is you may get an ABS light if you are turning on and off power to the ABS pump, the car may assume there is a short somewhere.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're comfortable with electrical work you could wire a switch in line with the power wire for the abs fuse on the back side of the fuse panel. The only thing with doing any of this is you may get an ABS light if you are turning on and off power to the ABS pump, the car may assume there is a short somewhere.
Thanks! Didn't think of wiring off the power wire. Probably smarter than wiring a switch into the fuse. I'm actually wanting the ABS light to come on/off with the switch. It'll let me know everything's working.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can also just unplug it when you dont want to use it. Takes like five seconds! The power wire i believe ties into the engine bay fusebox and you can run the wire through thr grommet under the brake booster. Thats our secret hole as GC owners, I usually run a wire coathanger through because its kinda tough to see down there.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
The abs doesn't turn back on again when you give it power, you have to restart the car. When I had my old Legacy, I'd just pull the fuse for the ~10 or so times a year I'd want no abs, such as gravel driving, snow or ice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts