Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Incorrect, any R160 Diff will fit in any other R160 housing. Just make sure that your gear ratio stays the same.
just to add for posterity's sake, the differential is also axle specific, eg, if swapping make sure both cars used the same halfshaft splines. although i suppose you might be able to interchange the side gears in an open diff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here is a version 1 viscous LSD. The unit in the center of the picture is not a mechanical unit; instead, it houses the viscous fluid and plates. This is the differential that requires two different style male axles. One side looks like a standard male rear axle and the other has two sets of splines as seen below. Please note the 4 spider gears.
As corrected on the same thread on Nasioc, the double stub axles (asymmetrical) were used in all Ver1-4 era cars REGARDLESS of the type of LSD used. Over that time the majority were the early type VLSD as you show above, but also included a factory clutch MLSD (Ver1/2 STI-RA) and Suretrac MLSD (Ver3/4 STI). And again...ALL of those required the funky double splined axle.

-Rob

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
WAY different than the RS VLSDs, and way better in any situation.

The RS LSD is the weakest option of all the possible LSD's. If you read the OP you'd know why. SureTrac is the very good, and very expensive option. The only better option (IMO) would be older clutch-type, but they're rare because they were an option (not standard equipment)

·
Registered
2000 White RS
726 Posts
WAY different than the RS VLSDs, and way better in any situation.

The RS LSD is the weakest option of all the possible LSD's. If you read the OP you'd know why. SureTrac is the very good, and very expensive option. The only better option (IMO) would be older clutch-type, but they're rare because they were an option (not standard equipment)

Hmm. They are asking around $300. I'm reading on other threads that they require special axles as well as the USDM RS axels won't won't? Any truth to this?

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Ask yourself this: How much is an LSD worth to you?

To me, personally, I wouldn't spend that money. Simply because my (rs style) VLSD works okay for what I use it for (hooning in the snow). If I was an avid autocrosser or road racer looking for that additional edge, or if I just liked having rare parts, it would certainly be worth that much. It's very rare, very good, and therefore very expensive.

But I'm a cheapskate, and my VLSD cost $75 from a junkyard.

So really, it's up to you. Is it worth $300? Absolutely, to the right buyer.

P.S., it's got axles in it in the picture, so talk to the seller about getting them with it as a package deal.

·
Registered
2000 White RS
726 Posts

To me, personally, I wouldn't spend that money. Simply because my (rs style) VLSD works okay for what I use it for (hooning in the snow). If I was an avid autocrosser or road racer looking for that additional edge, or if I just liked having rare parts, it would certainly be worth that much. It's very rare, very good, and therefore very expensive.

P.S., it's got axles in it in the picture, so talk to the seller about getting them with it as a package deal.
the axels in it are sawed in half lol.

Currently i have a 99 so its an open diff.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
That's okay though!

You can take those axles apart, take your stockers apart, and then put the fancy end on your stockers. Sure it's an extra step, but it only takes 20 minutes or so (although, you'll get VERY dirty/greasy because of the axle grease inside the boot).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm. They are asking around $300. I'm reading on other threads that they require special axles as well as the USDM RS axels won't won't? Any truth to this?
They may require the special asymmetrical axles. It depends on which year.

Both clutch and suretrac were stock on certain JDM models. You can still buy them new through places like import part suppliers.

the axels in it are sawed in half lol.

Currently i have a 99 so its an open diff.

I would ask the seller to take a picture of the ratio stamp on the ring gear. The factory surtrac LSDs were 4.44 not 4.1 (I THINK!) as marked on the case. I am looking for one of these diffs. I will PM you and maybe we can help each other out?

Also, lets move the conversation to a new thread as to not pollute this one any more.

-Rob

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts

Realistically, a road racer isn't going to use a semi-rare OEM diff. They're going to get a Cusco/Quaife/etc 2-way. More money, but rebuildable with easily acquired parts, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I literally wasted half of last year searching for some decently organised and informed commentary regarding the OEM diff options and there is nothing as useful as this collection of photos anywhere else on a subaru forum. Thank you.

For what it's worth, i've got a 95 wrx/sti trans and rear end with the v1 VLSD (i think) and the asymmetrical axles. I had a lot of problems with the axles, particularly that the short side kept popping out of the differential!

·
Registered
1999, GC8, EJ20,Dark Blue Mica
123 Posts
These are all rear diffs, right?

What front lsd dif would fit a gc8 2,0 turbo (gt)?
is it maybe better to buy a complete gearbox of some model?

Did anyone do this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an issue here, looked for help but so far got close to 0...
I´ll try to briefly explain my situation.

I have a mt5 bugeye wrx turbo(not sti), and i believe i have an open diff on the back because:
- mine behaves like car number one of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRREY9uw8E when i guess it should behave like car number 2 of the same video.
- If i put the car on stands, i spin 1 rear wheel, and the opposite wheel spins the other way
- If i launch with 2 wheels(front and rear) on tarmac and 2 on gravel, only the wheels on gravel spin.

So i´ve come to the point of thinking i really have an open diff. I dunno if it came like that from factory or if it was the previous owner that fitted it like that.

Now i have the car on a shop where they have loads of stuff, and the mechanic told me the pre-98 gt classics had some kind of diff lock on the rear, and that he has some of those diffs in stock.

The problem is that he can´t explain me too well because he is more of a "let´s go guy", and not very "technical terms guy". Internet info is scarse on this...and the shop is too far away for me to fit something, regret and get back there...

I really want a rear diff lock of any kind will be better than open as it is, but another question is, what happens if the ratio is different? Will it damage the center diff?

I need you help m8´s
Thank you

21 - 40 of 42 Posts