Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5rs
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to potentially swap my 98 2.5rs with a jdm ej205 with avcs and I was wondering if there's a difference between the jdm and usdm harnesses beside the usdm not having avcs plugs. I'm wondering because I don't mind merging my harness with the jdm one myself but I can only find the post about Brydon teaching you how to merg harnesses but it's for the usdm harness. If they are pretty much the same and I can use that to help guide me that would be great, but if they're different is there a link that will help me like that post. I want to use the jdm ECU and harness so I can have avcs, I don't want to have to send anything to get merged for me or have to add the avcs plugs to a usdm harness especially since the harnesses cost the same and I would have to spend extra for an avcs adapter kit.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
I'm wanting to potentially swap my 98 2.5rs with a jdm ej205 with avcs and I was wondering if there's a difference between the jdm and usdm harnesses beside the usdm not having avcs plugs. I'm wondering because I don't mind merging my harness with the jdm one myself but I can only find the post about Brydon teaching you how to merg harnesses but it's for the usdm harness. If they are pretty much the same and I can use that to help guide me that would be great, but if they're different is there a link that will help me like that post. I want to use the jdm ECU and harness so I can have avcs, I don't want to have to send anything to get merged for me or have to add the avcs plugs to a usdm harness especially since the harnesses cost the same and I would have to spend extra for an avcs adapter kit.

Post | iwire

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5rs
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to guess they're pretty much the same, so I'll just get the jdm harness that way I don't have to spend extra money for the adapter or to have iwire do it. If I had an extra $600 or so I would love if iwire did it for me, but it's a little steep especially for just a few hours or up to a days worth of work.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5rs
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked prices again and its $730 which is extremely steep especially if you have to wait a month or I can spend an extra $200 and get it sooner which would make it $930.... that's almost the cost of the engine itself.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,583 Posts
The JDM ej205 with AVCS will all plug in and run with a usdm 02-05 wrx harness. You will need to repin the TGV wires and add 4 wires from the engine bay to the ecu to enable AVCS though. Its pretty easy to add the AVCS wires. There is a PDF floating around that tells you what you need to do.

*edit* Found it:

avcs_install_document.pdf - Google Drive

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Just checked prices again and its $730 which is extremely steep especially if you have to wait a month or I can spend an extra $200 and get it sooner which would make it $930.... that's almost the cost of the engine itself.
In addition to the AVCS blog post we have this one which will clarify some of the 205 differences.
Post | iwire

Just a note about DIY. We have fixed a lot of DIY merges in the last year and it ends up costing more than 2x the price because most of the time we have to replace both the RS and WRX harnesses because they are damaged beyond repair and 4-6 weeks turns into 4-6 months.

Please be 100% sure you know exactly what to do from start to finish before cutting anything.

I'm not saying you can't do it yourself, as plenty of people have completed on their own successfully. I'm just putting the warning out there because I don't want to see any more people in these situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts