Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between the two cars?
I'm looking for a 97-01 L because it's cheaper and I might want to swap in a new engine later.
I was just wondering what the does the RS have that the L doesn't have? I know about the cosmetic differences and engine difference.
I want to knoe stuff like if the L had LSD, ABS, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hmmm. where to start.. actually, theres some small difference.. well.. depends what you call small....

the rs' have a 4 wheel braking system, which might come in real handy if you are thinking of auto-x'ing. The L does not have LSD, while the 2000-2001 model of the RS' do. The RS' also have a sport tuned suspension, but if you are just racing out on the 1/4's or mostly straight line stuff, its not really much of a big thing. aside from that..... hmmm.... thats about all i can think of... ohh.. I beleive the RS' also come with the sunroof thingy! Haha, never underestimate the joy of a sunroof and just being able to crack that sucker open on a nice sunny day blasting your music while going past the speed limit. Just remember to be safe!:sunny:

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
RS has shorter gears vs. the L, and we have 2 big ass foglights up front.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
some L's have ABS, some do not. some have power windows and locks (IIRC) and some do not. i don't believe any have power mirrors. the brakes are different as well. so is the interior, exterior, and sound system. and then there is that whole engine thing...

i'd take a roof vent over a sunroof anyday :D

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Knowing what I know now, if I would've known then I'd have bought an L and boost the crap out of it from the get go. You can give an L a complete RS/WRX exterior, build the crap out of it, throw a decent suspension on it and still come out cheaper than an RS... hmmm, kinda like the new RS -vs- the WRX :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
10th Warrior said:
i don't believe any have power mirrors. the brakes are different as well.
ehhhhhh not true. even my 2 door 95 L had power mirrors :)

Brakes are exactly the same if the L has ABS.

Aside from the 2.2/1.8 vs 2.5 engine...
the RS has
*side skirts
*stereo
*sunroof
*power locks / windows
*15" alloys
*spoiler standard
*fog lights standard
*2001 = LSD

Most L's have ABS and 4 wheel disk brakes
L's have:
no side skirts
most have roll up windows
no sunroof
no spoilers on most or the low profile
fog lights were optional
no LSD

my rally L -

L's are easy enough to convert into whatever you want them to be in the long run. The chassis is nearly exactly the same - with very few changes you can turn your base model L into an RS-T

this "L" seen in photo below... was a 1.8 AWD. Now it's a 2.0T garnering about 260hp and it looks the business as well. :)
It's got an STi gear box, LSD rear diff etc.

it can be done.... anything can with the right $

have fun, enjoy....
Jamie - www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5 RS coupe SRP
421 Posts
Hmmm... My RS got 16's wheels. Sport tuned suspension ( not in my car anymore though ).

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T
3,211 Posts
Subie Gal said:
Aside from the 2.2/1.8 vs 2.5 engine...
the RS has
*2001 = LSD
Jaime, don't forget the 2000 brought LSD too! :nuetron:

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
this "L" seen in photo below... was a 1.8 AWD. Now it's a 2.0T garnering about 260hp and it looks the business as well.
Subie Gal, are those the pre '97 headlights on that teal/green L? It looks like an RS hood and grille with the older headlights. I hope so! Any fitment problems aside from the gaps? Thanks!

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
I_H8_1.8 said:
Subie Gal, are those the pre '97 headlights on that teal/green L? It looks like an RS hood and grille with the older headlights. I hope so! Any fitment problems aside from the gaps? Thanks!
they could be 98 headlights. mine look just like that. so if anyone wants to sell me their 99-01 headlights?.....:D

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Some of the L's, such as mine, don't have a rear sway bar.:curse: However, one can be added relatively cheaply, which I'll be doing sometime soon.:)

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Boy said:
Knowing what I know now, if I would've known then I'd have bought an L and boost the crap out of it from the get go
Mmm, tell me about it.

Not that I dislike my car, but I previously owned a '94 Acura Integra (RS) and boy do I miss having a hatchback. I was deciding between the VW Golf 1.8T 4-door, and three Subarus:
the RS sedan, the L wagon, and a Legacy GT.

The GT was the nicest, but the same engine the RS has in a car THAT much bigger didn't justify itself.

The L was, well, a wagon, but didn't have the looks or performance of the RS, particularly with that 140-hp or whatever.

So... I got the RS. :)

Now, like I said I love my car, but in retrospect? I would have loved to do a 22B bumper from Rallispec on the wagon, or at least an RS front conversion, plus the underlip spoiler and Ver5 rear bumper swap. Plus better seats, Ver6 steering wheel, new carpet, a different stereo installation, the strut tower bars, the Ver5 suspension... then all the engine work... brake upgrades...

Man, what a cool wagon that would've been!

-S2-

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I had a GTI ('87 8v) and loved it and I was deciding on the RS (thinking I'd never find one), A4 1.8t, Contour SVT, new (at the time) MKIV golf. The A4 had the most out of the box tuning potential but was just too damn expensive with quattro (I'd have bought used but they were still holding value too well) and slower than snot on a cold day stock, the contour was a blast but pricey and Ford was building them to order which means I couldn't test out the options I wanted, the new GTI and Jetta GLX were leather, kushy, sloppy and way too much money (at the time they didn't offer the VR6 in the GLs and GLS). Then I found an RS, aspen white, 4000 mi, dealer car. Fell in love at first sight and then I got to flog the crap out of it on my test drive... put money down that day, didn't even have financing worked out but $100 to hold the car bought me some time. The only regret I have is my buddies in NE Ohio who all drive RSs now pretty much had there way with that same car and it saw more abuse than a $2 hooker on prom night... 1 engine and 1 center diff later all is good :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts