Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen numerous references to dielectric grease in various threads, but I'm still not sure how to properly apply this stuff when dealing with electrical components like headlight wiring assemblies or older relays.

Also, it seems that dielectric grease should *not* be used on the electrical terminals themselves. Here's what Wikipedia says:

Dielectric grease "is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector."

For this purpose, the article mentioned "electronic connector lubricants" such as polyphenyl ether.

Silicone grease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can I get any tips about the proper procedure for using and applying dielectric grease (thin film, glom it on, etc.)? And what about connector lubricants?

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Take the tube, run it back and forth on your connectors while gently squeezing it, you dont need a ton. Getting it on the terminals/connectors wont give you issues.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Dielectric grease "is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector."
That's just wiki being wiki. We use to slather the crap out of it onto CPUs, when we were running phase-change coolers or doing high overclocking runs with dry ice.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS Coupe
43 Posts
I used it on my battery terminals. After the initial cleaning, zero corrosion. They look the same since the day of cleaning, 3+ yrs.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
It doesn't hurt as long as the viscosity doesn't overcome the clamping force of the terminals. As long as they can push through the grease to contact securely they will work fine. Grease can keep water and air out of the equation and help them last. Dielectric grease is used on sliding contact terminals regularly.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I just used regular grease on my battery terminals. I tried the pink spray stuff, but that doesn't last at all. End up having to clean and spray it again in a few months, if not sooner.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I use brake fluid. More friction!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's just wiki being wiki. We use to slather the crap out of it onto CPUs, when we were running phase-change coolers or doing high overclocking runs with dry ice.

Wow! Who'd a thunk it? That's awesome! OK, I won't lose any sleep worrying about putting on too much dielectric grease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts