Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone knows, it would really help. I've done searching around here, Nasioc and Google. I've also asked a few friends who swap subbie transmssion frequently, they've never come across a 1996 5-speed, so no luck there.

Basically a local is selling a 4.11, 5-speed out of a 1996 2.2L Impreza. I asked if it was a wagon, he said no......I'm pretty savvay with Subaru spec's and history, but I have never heard of a 2.2L 5-speed with a 4.11, I thought they were all 3.90?? and even so, I thought in 1996 only the 1.8L came with a 5-speed?

This is USDM's I'm reffering to.

So I'm lost, and I'm going to pickup the transmission tomorrow so I could use an answer soon. Is this guy up to no good? Or is it possibly a 4.11 5-speed?

I dont have the tramsission code/serial number, but when I go to buy it, I will see the number...problem is I cant find "ANY" transmission number for a 4.11 in a 1996 Impreza anywhere on the internet.

So if anyone has a code/serial breakdown for me so I can verify "on the spot" or perhaps some trick to know the Final Drive while its sitting on the ground.

...Oh, also, the housing is a "Cable Clutch", if that helps figure this out.

Anyone here have a 1996 Impreza 5-speed that can offer some insight?
-Dash

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
As per the 97 FSM, the 1.8 and 2.2 both had a 3.9, HOWEVER the 5th gear on the 1.8 is 0.825 while the 2.2l has a 0.780.

However I think the corresponding legacy has the 4.11, but I don't know that for sure. Maybe seller is confused?

For the record, I have a 97 OBS 2.2l. Has a 3.9f/d and is a cable clutch.

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
I wouldn't call it directly misleading. I think he just has the wrong f/d via either confusing models or just plain is guessing which one it came out of. Tell him what I just told you, that imprezas only came with 3.9s, then say is it a 4.11 or did it come out of an impreza. I know the leggys of the same generation had cable clutches as well. If it's a leggy transmission that would fit.

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
- I'm so glad I posted here, because all of my research and experience say the same as you. that it was only a 3.90.....I asked if it was a legacy and maybe he was mistaken, since the Legacy is indeed a 4.11FD

....sigh, I've spoken with the guy on the phone, he's not even questioning it, he says its not a 3.90.

My only other guess would be that its actually a 1997 or 1998 model that was bought in 96-97.

I asked if he still had the shell/car since it was hit/totaled, he said it was already sold off....

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
- long story short, the guy is local and he's only asking $125 for the entire transmission (no rear diff).

I figured it was an incredible deal and I would just pull the gears out as a backup to my 1999 RS (Swapped and starting to grind).

Do you by any chance have a tranny code? If it matchs the one he has then I know for sure its a 3.90

...I appreciate all the incredible...AND FAST help!
-Dash

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- yeah, but I had a 3.90 before and I really love the 4.11 and they are becoming harder to find these days. I wanted to keep the 4.11 ya know.

Wouldnt make a bad backup for you though lol.
-Dash

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
- Thanks again for all the help Jagular! I'll find the scoop tomorrow then. I hope its a Leggy Trans.

If you do have a trans code though, please post if you can. No worries if not though.
-Dash

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
- The story continues...

The guy has a Rally Impreza and a daily diver "Legacy Turbo 2.2T 5-speed" all original. Only 200 made it here to the US supposedly.

He works down the street from a Subaru dealership, and when he parted the car out, he ran the vin/code on the tranny and it came up as a 4.11 year 1995....wierd.

The guy knows his stuff and aparently we have mutual friends in the Subaru/Motorsports world locally. He said it was a rare car to begin with, a 2.2L 5-speed during that time when most of them were 1.8 FWD or 1.8 AWD.

He mentioned there were variations of transmissions and driveline's during that time, and this one probabily slipped by or was possibly custom ordred when purchased in 94 or 95?

Anything is possible I guess. I'll buy it anyway, I feel like rolling the dice this time. Worse case scenario I have a collectors piece I can sell to someone who blew their wrx 5-speed. (If its a 3.90, best case scenario is its a 4.11)
-Dash

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
- Mystery Solved! Just figured I'd let everyone know, its a 4.11 after all! Wow, what a deal! lol.

Picked up the Tranny today and grabbed the tranny code "TY752VA11AA".
Apparently this transmission was used in Canadian model Legacy's in 1990-1991 which were 2.2L engines.

Somehow this ended up in a 1996 Impreza over here...the motor and tranny were not swapped, this was from factory. I'm guessing its possible that at some point they manufactured the Impreza line with the Legacy tranny and motor to save on early production costs when they introduced the 2.2L option for the Impreza....That's my guess anyway.

I hope this information helps anyone else trying to figure out this rare transmission.
-Dash

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
if you ever want to know details about the model history of Subarus: Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV
and in this case
Subaru Impreza 1993-1996; options, prices, and more in Seattle

also for final drive ratios you can go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, put in the year and model, and select part: "carrier" and it will usually tell you the ratios from that year.

as stated all the Impreza 5mts are 3.9 and autos are 4.11 final drive. all the legacy 2.5GT and Impreza 2.5RS (for 1st gen impreza and 2nd gen legacy) are 4.11 for 5mt and 4.44 for automatic

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts

·
Registered
99 GC8 WRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ That's exactly what I was trying to conclude. I know the Legacy's had a 4.11, but on this rare case it was an "Impreza"....not 2.5RS....not newer than 1996....There was quite a lot of research involved to figure this out. Luckily I found a lot of useful info once I got the Transmission code....I took a gamble buying it since I didnt have the code until I brought the thing home lol.
-Dash

·
Registered
Impreza Coupe White
101 Posts
There was a lot of weird things going on in 95 and 96, I have a 95 Impreza coupe that was 1.8 and auto AWD but had a final drive of 3.9 instead of the usual 4.11. And a friend of mine had a 96 Impreza with a 2.2 and 5mt AWD and 4 wheel disks and abs and was a coupe not sure on the final drive on that one but it could have been a 4.11.

It seams that with 93 to 96 Imprezas they were mix and matching parts and trying a few different things so you never quite know what you will get.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.