Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit Auto Show: Subaru B5-TPH
[/URL]
The name certainly doesn’t roll off the tongue, but the Subaru B5-TPH is sweet to say because of what those letters stand for – Turbo Parallel Hybrid. The TPH drivetrain consists of a 10kW electric motor sandwhiched between the transmission and turbocharged boxer engine. The gasoline engine produces 256 hp and 253 lbs-ft of torque, while the electric motor antes up another 111 lbs-ft of torque. That extra torque is provided by the electric motor at low speeds while the turbo spools up, effectively eliminating turbo lag. The engine also employs the Miller cycle, which increases the engine’s efficiency up to 30 percent by leaving the intake valve open for part of the compression stroke, which shortens the cycle's compression stroke. All of this leads to a combined estimated mileage of 40 mpg and a whopping good time when you mash pedal.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So it IS going to happen! Not perfect but definately a move in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
1999, OBS, Green, EJ22
291 Posts
Looks like a neat possibility. Granted, the green interior would never make it to real production--thank goodness. Those minimal tail lights would probably be replaced with bigger ones too, as they should be. A 2 door? I'd buy it. Looks like a fun car. Not crazy about the rear end, but it looks cool otherwise. I saw this pic of the hatch open...wonder if they'd design it to pop off completely, which would be a nice touch.

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
wtf. Why are prototypes always so gay and far fetched? They need to fire the arts majors designing these things....

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
looks like the wagon WRX except with 2 doors......ugly. I don't see why they couldn't just put the motor into an existing car.

·
Registered
1999, OBS, Green, EJ22
291 Posts
looks like the wagon WRX except with 2 doors......ugly. I don't see why they couldn't just put the motor into an existing car.

It's still just a prototype, isn't it? Wait for the next redesign of the Impreza and it'll probably have this engine/trans as an option. My guess is the engine is more exciting if it's wrapped in new skin, as they see it. The car itself is probably just a way to test people's view of it's looks to be taken into account for the next big restyle of the Impreza, but they'd never call this an Impreza prototype.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts