Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to post a thread about tricks you use to detail your car. *yay post 1 in this forums!*

I'll try and think of some I use.

For the final rinse after washing down your car don't spray with high pressure. Instead take your thumb off the end of the hose or remove the spray nozzle and turn the water to med/low. Holding the hose 2-3 inches above the cars panels let the water sheet off the car. This method will cut the existing water on the car by half compared to a high pressure rinse. Save drying time.

Use 2 microfiber towels. One to initially dry then after that panel has been wiped down with use towel number two to remove residual water and prevent spotting. Pat Morietta style... wax on wax off.

Don't wash a hot car in the sun. Especially sucks for people with black cars.

To follow up the last trick. Wash in sections. Don't soap down the whole car then rise it off. Start with the rear (or whatever) wash that down with soap/rinse move on to the roof. Wash the roof rinse. Wash the doors then rinse etc. etc etc. The idea is that you don't want the soap to dry on the car. After the dirt has been lifted by the soap letting it sit will, if left long enough, be counter productive as you'd have to wash it again after it dried on there.

Avoid DIY car wash. High pressure spray can hurt your paint. If used use care around the edges of door panels. I've seen people chip paint off using these incorrectly.

cheers

garrett

·
Premium Member
2002 Aspen White WRX (sedan)
2,402 Posts
When I wanna get no spots while drying I shake the car as much as possible (hard with my damn sti shocks/prodrive springs), which obviously releases the water from the cracks.

Also to get no spots I'll use my wax as you dry bottle stuff. Its an extra step and wears out the arms a bit, but its worth it in the end.

Another trick I use for putting on tire wet, most ppl spray it on, but I spray it on a rag or whatever. Spray it with the wind and away from car, then wipe it on. Keep it thin too, cause when you go to move your car/leave your house or whatever it will fly all over your freshly cleaned car.(not cool)

Another good trick is to take a detailing brush. I have the black magic set, ill take the short stiff bristled brush and soak it in my turtle wax (vinyl / leather / plastic cleaner) then stab the speaker grills on the door and some of the cracks. This pushes the brushes into the holes and into the dimples cleaning out the dust that can't be had using just a rag/towel.

Im sure i got a few more but thats enough for now.

Nice thread btw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a tip that I'm sure a lot of you don't know ( or at least I think lol )

If you've ever washed your car and then gotten dirty run off from the back of your trunk after your wash and you go for a drive...

Open your trunk and pour/spray some water along the rubber trim around your trunk, you'll have to take some time and flip up the rubber lining to get under it.

I found that the water runs from your roof/rear windshield and down into the trunk lining and it'll run the dirt and sand hidden under your rubber lining down your rear bumper etc.

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
I personally would not wash my car outside (not possible for all people) but if you do atleast do it in the shade.

As far as the dirty run off from the trunk and door jambs... if they are really dirt i would give them a good cleaning with some degreaser, toothbrush and some rags. Once you give it that good thorough cleaning just maintain them by wiping the door and trunk jambs (make sure you get the jamb on the car and the actual doors) after you wash the car (takes a minute tops.)

One "trick" that i use for those PITA windows is a damp micro fiber (MF) towel to clean the window and a dry terry cloth (TC) towel to wipe it dry. No streaks, perfect windows every time. Dont do windows in the direct sunlight or when they are hot, if you allow the water from the MF towel to dry before the terry cloth towel does the drying then you will not have a clean streak free window. This goes for any window cleaning no matter what product you use. For really dirty/filmy inside windows you should use a window cleaner and some window towels (theyre lint free) the first time. Then maintain with the damp MF towel and dry TC towel.

To remove wax i use a damp MC and a dry one. The damp one to remove the wax easier and the dry one to buff it up completely.

If i think of anything else i'll post it up. Take it easy everyone!

Willie

P.S. I dont recommend doing any cleaning or waxing in the direct sunlight if it is at all possible. If you can do it indoors (a shop) that would be even better.

·
Zantrex-3 YES!
15,331 Posts
Use a leaf blower to dry the car. It will remove standing water from small cracks that towels cannot reach along with reducing scratches from drying with towels and static charge.

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard of people doing that. I always wanted to try but it seems kind of like a hassle. Then again drying is kind of a bitch too.

It's recommended to just use a MF towel once and throw it away if you're really OCD about scratches. They're pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk.

cheers

garrett

2.5RSMatt said:
Use a leaf blower to dry the car. It will remove standing water from small cracks that towels cannot reach along with reducing scratches from drying with towels and static charge.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,924 Posts
Oooh, good idea with the leaf blower - I am gonna have to try that because there is always water under my grill and it always seeps out, slowly. Irritating.

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
Personally I wax my windows, mirrors, paint (of course), and wheels. Meguiers NXT wax in the purple bottle or can. The first time I used it some people asked me if I got new paint.

·
Registered
2002 MBP 2.5RS
369 Posts
Reebis said:
Mr. Clean Autodry Car Wash is all you need.
Seriously. No water spots, ever, and I have a black car.

Not sure how well known this is, but I use a soft bristled toothbrush to get the wax out of crevices like the door handle trim and around locks and other places you can't really hit with a towel.

·
Registered
Impreza 2.5rs
745 Posts
static_rst said:
Oooh, good idea with the leaf blower - I am gonna have to try that because there is always water under my grill and it always seeps out, slowly. Irritating.
use an electric one.... Gas ones may spew gas, oil, and exhaust onto your freshly clean car.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
Use an air gun to get bugs and stuff out from between the rear window glass and rear shelf. Make sure this is your first step cleaning because bugs will fly everywhere.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Does anyone use a chamois to dry thier cars? I use this autodry thing that is really soft and works better then a chamois in my opinion. Then whatever waterspots are left I got back over it with a damp MF cloth.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
slow98 said:
Does anyone use a chamois to dry thier cars? I use this autodry thing that is really soft and works better then a chamois in my opinion. Then whatever waterspots are left I got back over it with a damp MF cloth.
I do, but I'm afraid by admitting that I'm going to get flamed. Do they do any harm to the paint?

·
Registered
2001 RS Silverthorn
1,025 Posts
i use a california blade on my car for drying. I get most of the water off with it, then use a MF towel to dry the rest. I wouldnt use a blade on a black car, but since my car is silver, I say go for it. Some people think those rubber blades scratch cars, but if you maintain them properly and keep them clean, they wont scratch anything

1 - 20 of 29 Posts