2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
Borla Headers
stock cat section
custom cat-back
Delta 2000 grind cams

I just put in a new 02 sensor with the SPACER and also raised my idle using the Tactrix cable.

I am still getting a "misfire on cylinder 2" and the P0420...WTF can I do? I am probably just going to swap my stock headers back in really quick to pass emissions but what can I do about the misfire code? Has anyone been able to get rid of it and HOW? I was supposed to get an inspection sticker in JUNE!

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:( help please I don't wanna get a ticket for my bad inspection sticker :noes:

·
Registered
00RS & 02WRX
1,439 Posts
how about the valve adjustment??i fixed my missfire code because they are too tight..

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TOO TIGHT can throw a misfire?

I will pull them off and check tonight... thanks!

·
Registered
2000 BRP coupe
382 Posts
Yeah my buddie has the deltas in his car. They guy from Delta told him to set the valves at .006 and .008 as opposed to Subaru specs. We found this out after the fact. Consequently we set his up way loose. Hes also battling a CEL with his.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am gonna let it sit overnight tonight and wake up early in the morning to do this before I come to work. After work I gotta leave to go to Maine Forest Rally so I gotta get it done!

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Let us know how you make out.
I can't seem to rid my misfire CELs either. I've re-lashed the valves twice now, but I'm willing to try once again just in case it's the cause. Funny thing, it idles pretty smooth at 900 and pulls hard to redline.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car seems to pull hard to redline and idles rough but constant at 600...

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I re-adjust ALL my valves or just cylinder 2 since thats the one thats misfiring?

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.006 and .008

must have gone a bit too tight on one though...

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Always error to the loose side of the tolerance. I had the same problem with shims in a set of DOHC heads. Get after it soon because the valve need to totally seat in order to transfer heat to the head. If they don't seal well enough, they can eventually burn out.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am going to Maine Forest Rally tonight so I woke up at 6AM before I had to be at work at 9AM and did this. My intake valves were too tight but my exhaust valves were okay. I put them to .006 (using the .007 really tight method) and I don't have the code yet. Crossing my fingers and hoping that was the problem. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just threw a misfire code again...its NOT my valves...but its still cylinder 2. The car pulls HARDER now that I adjusted my valves correctly but I am still throwing this code. I looked at my coil and the cylinder 2 connector is brownish in color while the other 3 are gold...what does that mean?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
It means it has oxidized. Most likely from arcing inside due to a poor connection. Wirebrush it, along with the connector inside the boot, then crimp it closed slightly so you get a good click when you put the boot over the coil.

·
Registered
2003 rs2.5 BRP
831 Posts
you should just find a "bodega" inspection shop....

if you get my drift...

idk..
thank god i live in michigan where they don't give a hoot about that stuff..

unless you have a loud exhaust and even then only state troopers have DB meters lol. and from what i've heard most don't carry them.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brand new plugs/wires but i will wire brush the connector and see if it makes a difference...

·
Registered
294 Posts
i did the delta cams also i did the stage 2 im not sure what you meen by 2000 model? anyway i have no cel and right now my valves are set to stock goin to do them 6 and 8 this wekkend cuz the guy just told me but i saw you said you were gonna take off your header for a sticker if you have your cats still on you have no reason to remove it for ispection are you getting any cat efficiency codes?

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am getting a P0420 (catalyst code) and a P0302 (misfire on cylinder 2)

I can't figure this out. What should my gap on my plugs be? I will re-gap them tonight...

1 - 20 of 131 Posts