Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
01 25RSTI
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I think about it, I have just been updating the list with more and more parts that are on this thing... To answer a few PM questions. 85% of the listed parts are new as of this year and only have 2k or less milage on them. Some parts have never even been on the street yet...

·
Registered
01 25RSTI
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why are you just selling the shell anyways? whats the motor going into?
This car had a built 2.5 that was already using oil when I got it and had developed a tapping noise. After taking that motor down we discovered a bad piston and cracked cylinder wall. Well, I decided then to have a new built from scratch bottom end and have the already worked heads treated to a bigger set of cams, valves,etc... In doing so, I started cutting quarter panels/fenders and rewelding for the widder stance that it has now. Coilovers went in, other suspn. parts installed, it was just getting a lot of time and money dumped on it while waiting on the motor. A few months later the motor was back and time to start it up. As power started to present itself, problem starting arriving. Simple bolts being found loose, vacuum issues, fueling and oiling blowby...??? We thought it may have been a bad injector, had them checked. Nope, good to go, but the oil would be 50 miles in and smell like raw fuel... Then we did a compression leak down and this is where it all goes down hill... I didn't get 1800 miles out of it before another block let go taking out another piston.... what aggravates me more is that the heads were NICELY done and the bottom end you would swear was put together by my 6 year old... So, money gone. I decide I like the car and the wife hates me at this point cause I tell her we built this thing to handle upward of 500WHP and it can't make it to 400WHP before poof...Mind you, I like my wife alot more than I do this car...

I start digging into what I can do to recoupe my losses and possibly turn this tradgity into a win win situation. I parted out every thing down the middle that was in good working order that I would not need on a much bigger, longer project..... An LSX/ turbo motor swap! RWD conversion in way of a T56!

This has been in the process for a little while now, but all in a way that has not effected the car to be put back to subie running gear in anyway. It's all been in a mock up state for checking clearances and you wouldn't believe how much room there is for all this stuff. It fits in there Great! Shifter comes out in the proper place, hood closes with test bock in place, you can even retain factory A/C! It's when adding the turbo that really starts tighting up things..... And to answer a few questions, it is ALOT cheaper to buy chevy parts than subie. For every subie part sold, a few chevy were picked up! I have mostly every part needed to finish install minus a drive shaft, exhaust piping, a few sensors a engine craddle to build, BUT...... This is were my wife and I do not see eye to eye. I say it's only more time to finish it, but I'm not winning her over with that after she sees me looking at going ahead and buying Stoptechs for the front.... I am saving the fights to come if I ditch it and do something more practical like drive one of my other cars/toys...

I have a 70 Nova that has been my drag car for years and I am thinking of just putting th LS running gear in it to make it more streetable comparted to what is in it now. But I may just let all the LS stuff go too. This is why it's a feeler. I have to make some decisions...

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
Only difference between the v5 and v6 wing is the angle of the top portion. You can see in his pics, it's not as aggressively angled as the v6.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts