Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a 98 Impreza L Coupe, love it. I need more room though. I'm having a hard time debating between getting a 98 or so OBS, or around a 2000 Forester. Anyone have opinions on which is better?

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
the OBS will have the same engine as your coupe, so don't expect it to be any faster, and it will have the same ride height, and some more room in the back obviously (however the rear interior is kinda narrow, lots of plastics in the way).

The forester has a 2.5L engine, sits higher from the ground, has bigger tires, has a higher roof line, and just overall has a lot more room inside. the dash is the same as the 98-01 impreza

however, if you are leaning towards the forester, go for an 01 instead of an 00. the 01 got a mild redesign of the front, rear, and sides (interior is pretty much the same) and you could get the S model in all white or all black (instead of the 2tone), and its a great starting platform to make an awesome looking car

·
Registered
30 Posts
im debatin a forester too mainly because my rs is down right now an i need a car. i think the forester has more space. also not bad for a dd. if your wanting space get forester.

obs is slighty bigger then your l but to me its like buying the same car just with slightly more space

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
I've got a coupe and OBS. I like the OBS, cause there really isn't much difference between driving it and driving my coupe. It feels weird at first, since right behind you is just open space, unlike the coupe.

FYI, the OBS rides higher than the regular L wagon. The OBS is meant to be your "offroad" version of the wagon. Higher ride height, 2-tone paint, and the crap on the roof.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, from what you guys said I'm leaning towards the OBS. I like the feel of driving a smaller car, and I think the OBS will do that, but it will still have enough room for people and snowboards or whatever I need. I wanted the forester because I love how they can look with some mods, but I think I wouldn't like driving the bigger rig, not to mention I'm finding them a bit more expensive, and the ej25 has a bit more problems.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Forester still isn't a big car, though - remember that it sits on an Impreza frame, too. If you want more cargo room, the Forester will offer that. OBS is great, I love them, but if I had to choose between the two and carrying stuff around was a big deciding factor, I'd go Forester every time.

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
Ya, the Forester is just a few inches longer and like an inch wider than the Impreza. If you're planning on hauling around some friends and snowboard gear, I'd take the Forester for it's extra power and space. If it's just you and another person with some snowboard gear, the OBS. If you get a roof rack, then really, up to personal preference.

Another reason for me getting an OBS, part sharing. As I replace parts on the coupe, they extra parts can become spares for the OBS. Although, a lot of parts can be used on the Forester too.

·
Registered
This week: 2005 Legacy GT
1,014 Posts
I test drove a forester, and it was much smaller then I expected. Your best bet is to go drive both, and see which suits your needs better.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I DD a 01 forester S, I like it :)

They also have one of the biggest sunroofs you have ever seen. I like it and the majority of parts from my impreza fit it so thats a plus.

I wanted the car lower so I threw on some WRX wagon springs and.. perfect :D

·
Registered
97 2.5 obs, 98 Legacy GT Daily
1,453 Posts
I vote 01 forester... they look so much better than the previous. You can also sometimes find them loaded up with leather and some luxury bits that the obs never came with.

And I know it hasnt been suggested yet but a leggy wagon (outback or regular) has a shit ton more room than the obs or forester. But I can tell you from experience that it feels like a way longer car when your driving it

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
I was contemplating on the 04-05 Forester before, but ended up with the 01 OBS. I don't like the Foresters after 05 and now, they're just a fucking small SUV, instead of being a wagon.

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
I always saw them as a wagon. They took a car, raised it a little, then gave it a 5th door. Now, it's more like a minature SUV. Take the Tribeca, shrink it down, call it a Forester.

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
Ya, the thing is long. It's rear compartment area is like double that of the OBS>

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,686 Posts
The SF Forester is just a little bit bigger than a first gen impreza. The SG Forester is bigger than an SF since it is based on the GD Impreza. I can feel the difference going from my sister's SF to my wife's SG.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.