Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a phaseII ej22 sitting in the garage waiting to be torn down thatll drop into my gc with no problem. I wanna try and get some kinda power out of it. After my friends 2.5 overhaul (machine shop costs alone, no gaskets/assembly/extras) ran him roughly $1400 Im more considering just looking for an ej20 swap for that projected price.

After enough practice pulling two engines out of my old wagon, I think I have the experience to have the entire job done in a day, maybe two depending on how much we eat :p if Im simply dropping in the ej22.

Now I know the ej22 came with 142 hp (phaseII) stock which over time I should be able to increase with work to the n/a motor even if I dont go for a homebrew turbo setup. The ej20 was putting out around 200 hp (I believe..?) So well guesstimate 60hp difference.

Im well aware that swapping to the ej20 also means new harness and ecu swap. This doesnt bother me at all, I'd imagine there will be a bit of that if Im swapping from auto to 5spd in the process as I would like to do. Ideally I would have the car completely stripped to the core but I doubt Ill be that lucky.

Long story short would it be worth it to start looking for a complete ej20 swap or should I stick with the 2.2 thats sitting in my garage and see what I can make happen with it? Im figuring a 2-5yr overall build and I would like to actually get into the rally game. Not just speeding along the backroads but even checking out the rally course in NH, as its a little closer than Dirtfish in WA

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Is your Impreza a 2.5RS? If so, I'm pretty sure that if you drop the EJ22 in there, your going to imediately wish you had done a swap, because going down in power from the EJ25 would suck. But if you have a normal Impreza with an EJ22 already, you won't have that issue at least. And from everything I've ready, don't bother spending money trying to get a lot of power out of that EJ22, it's not money well spent, that mill just doesn't have much more to give, that money would be MUCH better spent towards a WRX EJ20 swap.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol yea I have a regular 2.2 auto. Nut for $200 for the car running and driving I wasnt about to say no to it lol. I'm at just over 244k on the car now and the other ej22 has only about 150k on it. I was even considering throwing in the 2.2 just until I can find a wrx swap, with those miles it's getting tired. But then I could also sell the spare motor to go towards swap funds

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
If your current 2.2 is on it's last legs, I'd probably suggest tossing in the stock 2.2 you have laying around and start saving for the WRX swap. Wouldn't sweat selling the 2.2 you have around, you won't get much for it anyways, not a huge demand for those. Could swap 2.2's and sell the tired one, probably will get as much as you would for the one with "only" 150k on it, anybody buying either would probably just want a cheap quick repalcement for a blown motor or are just buying it as a core for a rebuild. So swap in the healthier 2.2 and start saving for the WRX swap is my vote!

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Do you want to swap? Do you not want to swap? It's really up to you. You're on a RS25 site, so it's obvious most of us will probably tell you to swap. Ask on another site and they'll probably tell you to not bother.

As for rallying, I definitely wouldn't bother swapping. Chances of crashing your car of course increase. A rally school wouldn't be too bad, but you'll be blowing a lot of cash to outfit the car for actual competitive rallying. I'd stick with N/A until you get use to rallying, then up swap later on when your skills increase.

Me personally, I'd just 5 speed swap that crap and toss in the 2.2L. That'll make it feel more peppy.

2-5 year build time? Might as well just wait to import a JDM 93-94 Impreza WRX/STI over.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't sweat selling the 2.2 you have around, you won't get much for it anyways, not a huge demand for those.
I definitely hear where you're coming from, most people that are pulling a motor are trying to upgrade. I know I wouldnt get much for it, but its more to help another enthusiast rather than scrapping for metal. last time I pulled a motor from my 98 leggy wagon the timing was off, the keyway on the crank notched itself out. Someone bought it for $100. A week later he had it completely overhauled, boosted and in his wagon. I still have that picture because I was proud for having helped, I provided him the base for that build.

That being said, I do agree it makes more sense to drop in the younger motor and sell the tired one. Its just, would I wanna go and do the head gaskets/timing to it first? and if I do should I look into little things like rings? and if Im pulling it apart to do rings then hey why not stroke it out.. my brain goes into snowball effect mode quickly lol.

The 2-5 year build clock is for more than just the motor, thats when I want the entire car done. Ive fallen pretty hard for this car, and I really wanna do it right. Ill probably find an old 1.8 impreza I can beat on and get the course driving down while this one is being built. I know its asinine to worry about paint and bodywork on a future rally car... but I have to seal with the quarter panels anyway and those fenders are killing the look of the car.... and damn would it look good in a gunmetal metallic. Again, snowball effect.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
144 Posts
I have a 99 Impreza L with EJ22 pahsseII. I took off the old motor and drop a EJ251 Rs motor. Its my daily but I have big plans in the future.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
That being said, I do agree it makes more sense to drop in the younger motor and sell the tired one. Its just, would I wanna go and do the head gaskets/timing to it first? and if I do should I look into little things like rings? and if Im pulling it apart to do rings then hey why not stroke it out.. my brain goes into snowball effect mode quickly lol.
That that point, you might as well drop the younger motor in and drive it, while building up the old motor instead of junking/selling it.

The 2-5 year build clock is for more than just the motor, thats when I want the entire car done. Ive fallen pretty hard for this car, and I really wanna do it right. Ill probably find an old 1.8 impreza I can beat on and get the course driving down while this one is being built. I know its asinine to worry about paint and bodywork on a future rally car... but I have to seal with the quarter panels anyway and those fenders are killing the look of the car.... and damn would it look good in a gunmetal metallic. Again, snowball effect.
I wouldn't worry about looking that far into the future and instead, deal with what you can now. If you keep looking that far into the future, you'll never end up finishing building the car. Simply cause what you want to do will keep changing.

Unless you decide to write down everything you want to do, when you want to do it, etc, then strictly follow the timeline, it simply won't work.

I think most ppl here just go with the flow or save up, then do it all at once.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That that point, you might as well drop the younger motor in and drive it, while building up the old motor instead of junking/selling it.
I would normally agree with that but again, I would end up putting a lot of money into it for not an amazing amount of power. So I agree with dropping the younger motor in but would it really be worth it to build the old one?

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
No, all that work wouldn't get you much. Unless you just build up the block to turbo it, but I'd just buy a turbo engine and build that instead.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
i would try and find a wrx five speed or something and do a new stock replacement clutch and put that up to the fresher ej22. just get some of the costs of manual/clutch and pedals and such out of the way then start saving for wrx motor swap parts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, agreeable ideas. My thing is, Ive seen the wrx motor/trans/diff/ecu going for 1200-1500 in which case I might wanna consider a wiring harness because a lot of places selling the swaps are just hacking things up.... but that being the cost for everything, if I found the lot for a tranny swap and then the motor after itll end up costing more.

I might be forced into that hand in the near future to be honest. my 4eat stated slipping pretty badly... meaning I hit the gas to take my left turn like I do everyday, and it didnt just hesitate, it forgot to go. I nearly got t-boned. So tranny is definitely getting taken care of asap. Hoping to be in my forester soon as a daily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts