Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, at 1:45AM Sunday morning I had a run in with a deer. Tried to avoid it by swirving. BAD IDEA. Should have just hit the deer. Instead of hitting the animal I hit a huge 3' vertically opposed covert full of rocks and a 45MPH road sign. Needless to say my car is FUBAR. :( As of today it is sitting in an autobody shop and tomorrow it is getting appraised. That is when I will decide to total it or resurrect her (hoping to bring her back, I miss her already). As far as I can tell by looking at the car, the WHOLE front end, including the hood is toast, my whole exhaust (header all the way back), pitch rod holding engine to firewall, possibly tranny, radiator, fans, cruise control, most of my pulleys (running timing belt), drivers side floorboard, all of the drivers side, door, skirt, and panels, toast from the sign, and a few other things in the engine compartment and also underneath. If I had a guess on the damage I would say somewhere close to $10,000!! OUCH!! I have the pics taken and will have them posted ASAP. The purpose of this post is to show there really is life after death. Never give up on a suby!! Stay positive.:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well if it makes you feel any better, I've seen pictures of cars that have hit deer. I don't know if your car would be in any better shape...

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Bummer, dude:( Maybe total it out, buy it back from the insurance co., and turn it into a rally car. Or transplant the heart of it into an older, cheaper L, or (this is what I would try to do), transplant the heart and whatever interior parts you can salvage into an Outback Sport, put an RS front bumper on it, and make yourself an old-scool 2.5TS:D

·
13 Years of RS
5,532 Posts
obsidian said:
Well if it makes you feel any better, I've seen pictures of cars that have hit deer. I don't know if your car would be in any better shape...
Yeah, deer are heavy, and some of them have pointy parts on thier head that can come throught the windshield. Small animals, pancake them for sure. But something big like a deer, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I agree. I had to react quickly and decided to take the swirving route (may as well use my performance suspension since I have it). I was also thinking about, if I had hit the deer, I probably would have swirved off the road anyway from the impact, not to mention the damage that would have been done to the windshield and roof. I myself think I made the right decision (matter of choice).

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh sh!t. Glad to hear you're ok. It sux. didn't you just have ur new heads installed and stuff!?!? I'm tellin you.. bad karma from that place. Hope everything turns out ok.

Don

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Well, if you really want you can think of another way, you could think of it as saving the deer's life. Yea, yea, I can hear the 'screw the friggin deer' replies coming already. The deer will go one to be hit by another poor sap.

But the important thing is that you aren't hurt. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I do feel as if I am in the good graces of our lord for sparing the deers life (I just hope he is willing to help with the resurrection of the Suby). She wasnt ready to go yet!!!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TUESDAYS UPDATE:

Well I am not sure if the Suby is going to be riding again or not. Talked to my body shop guy today and he said its going to be a 50/50 chance of reviving her.:( Said that he appraised it and is well over $12,000 in damage!! 70% of the engine compartment accessories are toast. Whole front end, obviously gone. And he mentioned that the whole underside of the car from the rear differential up is going to have to be replaced. Not looking good. Tomorrow morning at 10AM I will have the full appraisal. Just hope we dont exceed the value of the car. The really nice thing is that he is understanding about me getting performance parts for the stock pieces that are broke,(e.g., Hood), that is if it isnt totalled. Anyone that is interested, tomorrow night we will know. :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WEDNESDAYS UPDATE:

Talked to my bodyshop guy this morning and he said the car is repairable!!!!! I figured out that wrecking your car is not all bad (besides the fact that you are out a car for a while). Some of the parts on my car were not 100% top notch, but now that the insurance company is shelling out the cash, they are going to be. :) Also, most of the stock stuff that is FUBAR I am just going to get performance replacements and pay the difference (much cheaper than just buying it). Guess we will see how everything goes. Going to have to get on the line and start ordering some stuff!! :) Ohh.., the estimated cost of the damage was $15,000+, for those who were wondering. I had the option of totalling or fixing (I would be a fool to throw the past 2 years of my life way).

Cheers :)

·
13 Years of RS
5,532 Posts
$15k+ in repairs, and the insurance company isn't just totalling it out? That's almost the value of the car, it would probably be cheaper/easier for tham to total it and just give you the cash. I wonder why they didn't? Now, the big question: is the car going to be safe once it's finished? Sounds like it was heavily damaged, and repairing a car like that usually doesn't seem to be worth it. Especially if the entire front end is toast, you may have constant alignment problems after the repair. You sure you want to do this? I understand that you put 2 years into the car, but do you really want to risk having an unsafe, problem-plagued car that will be impossible to sell for any kind of decent money?

H

·
0 Posts
Bend metal once, it's pretty tough.
Bend it again...

If somebody were to total my RS I'd take the money and run. I don't want a rebuilt car that I'm going to push hard. No way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THURSDAYS UPDATE:

Well I dont think that I have a choice anymore. My insurance agent called me again today saying that they are going to total it now!! :( What the hell!! I hate insurance companies. The thing that I really hate about all of this is that I have dropped about $20,000 of aftermarket into it and I am sure that the insurance company is just going to tell me to screw myself. I really have no idea what to do. I dont want to have to buy a WRX, I really dont. Maybe I will buy a Skyline GT-R. I have always wanted one of those. Guess we will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate your feedback. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
First, most insurance companies insure upto about $2000 in after market goodies (be it bug deflectors, hood ornaments, or a turbo kit) So make sure you look into that. Second is that you should be able to swap out the after market parts for the stock ones if you still have them. Ask your agent, or just goto the yard where it is stored and do the swap. If they wont pay for em, they get stock pieces. Labor unfortunately is a harder one to recoup. Scrape together receipts if you can for parts you want to try to get them to cover (start the the damaged ones)
Good luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FRIDAYS UPDATE

Thanks for the info MidwayMan. That is what I talked to the insurance company about today. I told them the amount of aftermarket I put into it, and also told them that the stuff that was not damaged is getting removed. They did not seem to have a problem with that. They also did not mention I had to replace the stock stuff, which is a good thing (especially since I want to sell the stock heads). Also, I believe they are going to pay for the aftermarket stuff that was damaged. The only stuff that I put on the car that was damaged was the exhaust (header to can). It looks like I am getting a WRX (I know, I really dont want to, but since they they are available now, why not). Really dont like the body style, but that can be fix with a bodykit. If I could find a brand new GC8 I would snag it in a heartbeat. I just dont like the fact that someone has driven a vehicle prior to myself (I only buy new cars). You never know how they treated it. I am also going to be selling the ported and polished heads for $2000 (130 miles on them). Anyone at all is interested PM me. Well I hate to say it but the "SUBY IS DEAD". :( Anyone is interested in some aftermarket goodies, let me know, I will see what I can get off the car.

Cheers!!!

·
13 Years of RS
5,532 Posts
Zoinks, yo! So, what's it feel like to get hit with an airbag? And sorry to hear about your loss, hope you can find solace in a WRX.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts