So my friend gave me a call this morning to ask me some questions about
speeding tickets since she knows of my ticket resume and on this one
I'm a bit stumped on how to help her out. I told her it looks like she's assed
out but lets see what you guys think.

About 2 months ago she got pulled over for speeding on the way to med school
and got a speeding ticket and she left. The officer clocked her at 90
and said he would right her down for 85 'to be nice.' She got her curtesy
notice and it says $425. upon further investigation she looked at her original
ticket she got that morning and the officer wrote her down for 95MPH.
I said she's better off paying the ticket for that ammount than walking in
there and bringing attention to the speed and possibly getting her license
suspended, especially since there really is no way to prove this, his word
against hers. Most likely a losing case.

Opinions?

· Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
12,252 Posts
Is it one of those states that you have to sign the ticket before they let you drive off? Either way she should have the original with the correct speed on it. Go to court with the original and ask for a reduction just like normal and point out that in the system it was not entered properly. just a typo sort of thing.

Chris

· Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^
well, after 12 times that I've been pulled over, if my memory serves me correct the officer
says "by signing you aren't pleading guilty but agreeing to apear in court by said date."
So signing doesn't really mean she agreed to the speed, but it does seem like there
is no chance for her to win the case, or even worth the time with her in medical school
and all. Well, thanks guys. Just wanted to see if you guys knew of any alternate options.

· James incognito
Black 06 STi & 07 Wagon
381 Posts
95? She needs to bring a lawyer to court if she is going to fight it, otherwise she needs to slow the fuck down and pay her dues.

· Registered
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5RS, W
843 Posts
Is the officer's name on the ticket? You could try contacing him direclty and see if you can get an Affidavit from him stating that what he wrote down was incorrect...If he refuses, then she can just pay for the total amount due, do traffic school, and slow down.

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
4,588 Posts
Only a few tickets under my belt, and hopefully no more, so my advice isn't that great, but I see basically 3 possibilities here: 1.) Lawyer up, do driving school, and slow down. 2.) Lawyer up, get the dash cam footage, fight it and spend a shitload of time and money. 3.) Pay the fine, get some marks on your driving record, regret that you never lawyered-up.

Personally, I would do #1..it's what I've done in the past, and it's really the only option guaranteed to be worth it in the end.

· Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza L Coupe
404 Posts
I know in NH, a traffic ticket holds up in court without any "proof" that the number written is correct.

Having said that, sometimes you can pay a fine, do community service and get a reduced penalty against your license. Possibly a failure to yield (3pts in NH) instead of 95 in a 65 (5pts in NH).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.