Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it work, or would i have to buy all the other driveline components to match?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, what the hell is DCCD? :confused:

Even *I* don't know, that's a bad sign already! :lol:

Either that or I am an idiot! :(

·
Registered
2000 BRP
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driver Controlled Center Differential. You know that little coin holder wanna be thing on the center console next to your e-brake? Well..the control unit sits there and you can control the center diff electronically. Also, they had a display on your instrument cluster.

I'll try to find pics of it if i can.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ohhh....I'm used to hearing it called a "VCD" (Variable Center Differential).

As for your question, I don't know, sorry. :(

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Ah, my understanding is that this piece is specific to the Sti version of the car, which includes the 6-speed transmission, and driveshaft, as well as the rear half-shafts.

But... that is from memory of this discussion like a year ago. But I do recall it being rigged in through the ECU as well, which is a JDM unit as well. I think it's a lot more work than one might think. Anyone else have some specific details? I'm hazy at best! :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually i believe the early model GC8 STI RAs had them too, but you would still have to change everything to suit a 4.44 driveline, seems too close for me but to each his own. there wasn't a dccd on the regular STIs. you can check my info at J's garage(use search enginee), they have info on JDM WRX since they import them. justin

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
From what I've read, this is a very expensive thing to do. The diff is pricey, and you need to add sensors, find some way to control it (I think it had it's own ECU), and disable or remove the ABS (doesn't work w/ VCD)

Just so you know, when Prodrive built the P1, their engineers decided that ABS is more important than a variable center diff. I remember reading a quote that used the word "gimmicky." But it sounds like a fun gimmick though...

-s-

·
Registered
613 Posts
where we adjust our electric mirrors, the STI type RA has a dccd. they come without abs but i would not miss it for the trade.
:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
DCCD or VCD is very easy to install.

All you need is the actual hydrolic diff itself, diff ECU (separate from the main ECU), rotary thumb switch and the dash LED's or the complete STi dash. No censors are needed and you can equip an ABS car with this gizmo. It just doesn't come like that from the factory due to other reasons.

Istallation is also fairly simple. You just remove the butt part of the tranny where your center diff sits, install the new diff, install ECU and wire the switch and the LED's. Of course, you will need to make sure that the rear diff will work with it, but thats given.

CUSCO doesn't make one. CUSCO makes Tarmac Gear diff, which is a locking 35 front / 65 rear mechanical center diff. It has no electronics.

That diff cannot handle gobs of power, so anyone who wants to be real fast replaces it with a mechanical diff in Japan. That is why those diffs (with everything you need to install them in your car) always pop up in the Japanese Yahoo Auctions.

-Alex

P.S. Funny to know, that some jacktool "stole" my username and made a joke out of it.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Hey cool, thanks for the info Alex. VCD + ABS would be nice, I was under the impression that it wasn't possible. Maybe the Prodrive guys meant they'd prefer to spend $ on ABS before VCD.

To what do we owe the honor of your presence, if you don't mind me asking? Do you miss your old car? (I do.) Wanted to see if these boards compared to the impreza-rs.com boards? (in some ways better, some ways worse)

Anyway, good to see you got your proper name back too.

-scott-

·
Registered
359 Posts
RS25.com said:
Ah, my understanding is that this piece is specific to the Sti version of the car, which includes the 6-speed transmission, and driveshaft, as well as the rear half-shafts.

But... that is from memory of this discussion like a year ago. But I do recall it being rigged in through the ECU as well, which is a JDM unit as well. I think it's a lot more work than one might think. Anyone else have some specific details? I'm hazy at best! :eek:

I have to cry FOUL yet again. THE SIX SPEED TRANNY IS NEW TO THE GDA BODY STYLE. THERE NEVER WAS A 6 SPEED STi UNTIL NOW. THE VARIABLE CENTER DIFF HAS BEEN AVAILABLE FOR YEARS AND YEARS.

Sorry, just my building irritation at the STi = 6 speed misconception bubbling up and showing through.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts