Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whatsup guys, im having a little problem with my car (2001 impreza RS). recently, when i turn my lights on at night, i drive for a while, and the dashboard backlight suddenly turns off. i have three gauges (battery voltage, oil temp, oil press). the gauges, and all of the other lights inside the car (cd player backlight, HVAC knobs, all the inside lights) stay on as they normally would. i have no idea why the dashboard backlight (speedometer, tachometer, gas, temp) turns off randmoly. any ideas? thanks a lot, -Arthur

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection in the instrument cluster. Does the odometer still work when the lights go off? Speedo and tach needles still move?

All of the interior lighting goes through the multifunction switch in your steering column (aka headlamp switch). I'm not sure how the circuits are run through that switch. It may direct power to your cluster seperate from everything else or it may direct power to all of it together. If it's seperate you may have a problem with that switch. If not I bet it's in the cluster itself.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's wierd because all of the needles still work on the speedometer, tach, temp and gas, it's only the backlight that turns off/on randomly. -arthur

1 - 4 of 4 Posts