Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TheGreyEminence
99 OBS (240k and counting)
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pulled my dash-cluster out and noticed alot of the bulbs had gone bad, so I swapped some of the good bulbs around to see what was what. It seems that even though my CEL bulb is good (turns on when in accessory, turns off when I turn the car over) it is throwing a code but not lighting up. Also, my brake light is intermittently turning on even when the e-brake is not engaged. Sounds like more then just a bulb problem huh? Please, any suggestions would be appreciated as I am STILL tryin to pass inspection. Car is a 99 OBS 5-spd although the dash cluster MAY be from a different year. (picked up a bulb package from the Stealership, gave em my vin, bulbs in pack DID NOT fit my cluster) (14 are same size they say "toshiba v-2" and 1 bulb is larger, have had no luck finding replacement bulbs either yet but if thats not the main issue, they're just gonna blow anyway)

·
College eats money
MY02 WRX Wagon
342 Posts
A code may still be throwing even if you don't get a visual CEL on. Something about having to wait a certain number of cycles for it to show up on the dash.

The intermittent brake light could possibly from low brake fluid, since the light serves two purposes: a hand brake warning, and a low fluid level indicator. I had the latter problem with my WRX, the fluid was just low enough to trigger the sensor when going up hills of under hard acceleration/braking, but would go away with certain turns.

Check the fluid and pull the codes.

hope this helps.

·
TheGreyEminence
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A code may still be throwing even if you don't get a visual CEL on. Something about having to wait a certain number of cycles for it to show up on the dash.

The intermittent brake light could possibly from low brake fluid, since the light serves two purposes: a hand brake warning, and a low fluid level indicator. I had the latter problem with my WRX, the fluid was just low enough to trigger the sensor when going up hills of under hard acceleration/braking, but would go away with certain turns.

Check the fluid and pull the codes.

hope this helps.
Helps??? Are you kidding??? It F%(%$#G ANSWERS EVERYTHING!!! I feel like such an ass cuz these are answers I could have found in my manual but never thought to check. Thanx a bunch man I REALLY appreciate the info.

·
College eats money
MY02 WRX Wagon
342 Posts
Your welcome, all of that has happened to me in the past, so don't sweat it.

Have you had a chance to pull the codes?

·
TheGreyEminence
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your welcome, all of that has happened to me in the past, so don't sweat it.

Have you had a chance to pull the codes?
Sorry been away for a minute...yeah I got the same code before but I thought I solved it. it's an evap emissions code, I believe P0440 perhaps. Anyway I'm pretty sure I just need to replace my filler-neck or filler-tube? I'd rather do that without knowing EXACTLY whats wrong then pay the stealership $100 to blow smoke up my and my cars ass!!! But seriously...I hear thats how they diagnose the evap emissions, by blowing smoke through the fuel tank or something to find thew leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts