Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal. I have a 00 rs. My buddy totalled out his 02 wrx. I already bought the motor, harness & ecu from him. He offered me the complete dash, cluster, heater core, and dash beam from his car for really cheap. Im wondering what people who have done this swap already think...should I merge my harness and keep the stock dash. Or swap the dash out and just deal with doors and lighting. Im not worried about dash gap, before it turns into one of those debates. So dash gap aside,what are your thoughts? Ive searched on this but every post seems to turn into people arguing about dash gap.

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
I too have done both a few times. IMO using the whole WRX harness and swapping dashes is easier. Neither is really hard to do though.

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
Who do you have to send both harnesses to? Also what part of the harness on both cars do you have to send? Thanks
Anyone who does harnesses... The merge itself is done on the bulk harness(the under dash harness). You also have to run a section of the front haness through the firewall, but no merging is done there. There are a few wires for the fuel pump controller as well that need done on the rear harness, but that is simple too.

·
Registered
2000 RS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to just go with my dash. My buddy has a wrx and his entire interior was painted blue and yellow by the previous owner...so I decided to be nice and just let him know about the awesome deal on it all. To be honest, if your decent with wiring the merge actually isnt that bad. Im in the middle of merging them right now. I was intimidated by it until I saw how much of the wrx harness you toss, lol. I know Iwire and ECS do the merge, im sure their are others...I just dont know their names to tell ya. Or if ya wanna tackle it yourself, Brydon did an awesome write-up on merging the harness.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
I swap the dash, and it fits, but only because I'm using a oem GC8 dashboard. Not a fan of GD dashes inside GCs... they fit like JDM spats on a USDM bumper: pretty poorly, and you have to make them fit

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
I swap the dash, and it fits, but only because I'm using a oem GC8 dashboard. Not a fan of GD dashes inside GCs... they fit like JDM spats on a USDM bumper: pretty poorly, and you have to make them fit
My GD dash fits tighter than the stock GC dash. I actually have an extra GD dash, and an extra GC. I'm going to do a DiY/write up on dash swaps once the weather gets a little nicer so we can put that myth to bed for good.

·
Registered
99 AW Coupe
723 Posts
Another bump. Might be in this predicament within the next few months, so any more help would be appreciated.

Ideally, I'd like to swap the dash. If all goes according to plans, I will have a completely running donor car. So my plan was to drop the subframes, swap everything under the car over, then swap the entire harness and dash into my RS.

If I did that, I figure that I'd have to rewire the doors, and the rear harness - which doesn't sound too hard... Gonna do some more research, but since I'll have two complete cars I can hope and pray that Subaru are like legos, amirite?

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,650 Posts
I'm using the 04 Harness with my 98 dashboard and 04 steering rack. The only things you have to rewire are the HVAC and maybe the cigarette lighter? I used the 04 cluster. The interior fan plugs in, cd player plugs in, and even the hazards are a direct plug in to the GC dash.

·
Registered
99 AW Coupe
723 Posts
^ Pretty much.

Take a look at my journal, I'm about halfway done with splicing in the entire STI harness with the GC chassis components :)
I've taken a peek at your journal, but haven't gone into great detail. I'll definitely do some reading. How long have you been working on the swap - how many hours a day versus days/weeks total?

IF I do end up with a running WRX, I can't decide what to do haha. I'd love to do the swap myself with some friends, but time is a constraint between working full time and school coming up. Hence, I'd only be able to work on it on the weekends, which means longer downtime. I could wait until next summer, but then I'd be paying for insurance for both cars (can't let the boost just sit there, haha). OR, I can pay a shop to do it for me and hope that the turn around would be a few weeks.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
Yikes... I've been working on it 3 12 hour days a week for the last 3 months or so I'd say, on average. My OP lists Day #41 as the latest update, and it's us putting the drivetrain into the GC :lol:

BUT, we also did a ton of custom work, including painting the bay, soundproofing the interior, rust repair, firewall modification, etc. I literally couldn't fathom doing a swap without a donor car sitting right there, it's just insane. I'm CONSTANTLY running over to the donor, even now, grabbing bolts, or looking to see how something was mounted, or using donor metal for special purpose mounts, etc.

Wiring doesn't scare me though - I'm an electrical engineer. The plan was always to use STI EVERYTHINGGG, including the dash.

Depends on what YOU want at the end of the day. If you want to keep your stock dash, then merge it. If you don't mind some custom fitting to get the GD dash in there, then go that route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.