Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 SF-Toaster
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried searching but only dash swaps I can find are GD dash swaps into GC, which is not what I am looking for.

I have an opportunity to purchase a V6 front end which includes the front dash, cluster, etc to replace my V2 front end and dash, etc.

How is fitment for this? Obviously I am going to have to rewire my gauge cluster, which isn't too big of a deal for me, I'll just have to find/read a pinout diagram and do some soldering and rewiring (which is what I do for a living anyways) but how does the rest of the dash fit?

I will be using my factory door cards, any problems for fitment on this dash?
Climate control rewiring going to be needed as well I can only assume.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. For the price Im getting this front end for including the dash, its worth what I'd pay for a hood + bumper + v6 grille/headlights anyways.

-kellen.

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza sedan
50 Posts
yeah i wud like a write-up on this dash conversion too. the GD dashes are nice n all but it seems like a Ver6 dash wud be an easier swap, and im sure its probably been done before.

·
Registered
02 Forester L\\ (RIP)01 2.5rs
1,146 Posts
Doorcards are gonna be an issue, they are shaped differently. I have a 2001 RS and a 96 OBS and I just looked at them both, completely different.

Just try and swap everything you possibly can over from the clip, and then try sourcing some doorcards.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,647 Posts
I am in the middle of a RS dash into my 95 L.
So far here is what I have found:

-The two upper dash mounts by the windshield are different.(haven't found a fix yet, weld new tabs maybe?)

-The dashbar mounting points Where the dash bar ataches to the trans tunnel are different.(Drilled the dashbar hole bigger and used washers)

-Hood release bracket bolt holes don't line up.(haven't found a fix yet)

-Need to use RS HVAC which doesnt clear the hole in the firewall for the a/c. Firewall needs to be trimmed to fit.

-Older L steering column doesnt mount to the RS dash bar properly. Used RS column with a PVC pipe adapter to adapt the RS column to the early impreza toe board bushing(lower steering column bushing) this way you don't have to cut a bigger hole in the fire wall to use the RS bushing.

-Need door cards to match the RS style dash as the early ones will hit the dash when you close the door.

·
Registered
1996/99 gc8 WRX
5 Posts
I am half way through a dash swap (99WRX dash and wiring into a 96LX)

Most of the issues I have come across have an easy solution.

-The dashbar mounting points Where the dash bar attaches to the trans tunnel are different.

: Drill out the spot welds on the mounting bracket and replace it with the respective bracket from a later model (98-00). I just welded it to the transmission tunnel, I can get some pics of it if you need.

-Hood release bracket bolt holes don't line up.(haven't found a fix yet)

: Don;t have a solid solution for this one, however I have been using a Nutsert tool (to insert threaded rivets). Could probably just eye ball it and get it just about spot on.

-Older L steering column doesnt mount to the RS dash bar properly.

:I cut a 2-2.5" section off the end of the old column and slid it over the end of the new column. Spot welded it, and used a rubber gromit (that was already in the firewall from the old column) on the end. Was a pretty tight fit and now its all bolted into place it seem immoveable.

-The two upper dash mounts by the windshield are different.(haven't found a fix yet, weld new tabs maybe?)

: This is where I am stuck. Not sure how to fix the top of the dash to the underside of the windscreen.....Welding seems a bit risky, seeing how close it is in the glass, but I'd be open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,647 Posts
Yeah,the upper mounting tabs are gonna be a pain. To weld new ones in the front glass should really be removed. I was thinking maybe I can make an adapter bracket that will bolt to the stock L tabs and have a threaded hole for the RS dash mount points.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
You guys also realize he is RHD right? Also, isn't the 95 WRX a cable driven speedometer? where as the v4-6 clusters are all electronic speedos?

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,647 Posts
You guys also realize he is RHD right? Also, isn't the 95 WRX a cable driven speedometer? where as the v4-6 clusters are all electronic speedos?
RHD shouldn't have anything to do with it. All the same stuff is there, just on the other side.

You do have a point on the speed on tho. I know my 95L was cable driven. I can also tell you that the older cluster does not fit in the newer style dash.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
RHD shouldn't have anything to do with it. All the same stuff is there, just on the other side.

You do have a point on the speed on tho. I know my 95L was cable driven. I can also tell you that the older cluster does not fit in the newer style dash.
Yes...rhd will have something to do with it. He will have different worlds of problems than the L vs RS parts...such as the steering column.

·
Registered
1996/99 gc8 WRX
5 Posts
Anyway, my dash is all installed and looks pretty standard. I Had the 99/00 complete dash and wiring harness from the start and had no issues regarding the swap.
I'm fairly confident a LHD would have the same Fitment issues as a RHD would, not sure about your steering column. But otherwise, the procedure would have to be identical.

To answer the orignal question. The dash fits like the OEM article after a few alternations to the car.

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
I have a 96 impreza wagon with the grey interior :D and would like to put in a 98 rs black dash, center console, cluster, shifter trim and stuff. I did read somewhere that the 98 rs door cards from a 4 door will fit in my wagon with the rs dash, is that true? I would also like to put in the black carpet as well. What other interior pieces from a 98 rs will fit in a 96 impreza wagon?

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
I have a 96 impreza wagon with the grey interior :D and would like to put in a 98 rs black dash, center console, cluster, shifter trim and stuff. I did read somewhere that the 98 rs door cards from a 4 door will fit in my wagon with the rs dash, is that true? I would also like to put in the black carpet as well. What other interior pieces from a 98 rs will fit in a 96 impreza wagon?
You won't be able to use a 98+ gauge cluster in your car since your car has a cable speedo and the 98-01 are all electronic speedos. You'd be better off going with the 93-94 dark grey L interior.

·
Registered
96 Brighton
1 Posts
I'm doing this swap now, have a full donor 98 rs and swapping the entire thing into my 96 brighton. has anyone gotten the solution for the upper dash tab location problem? pix of the build maybe? any info would be great. thanks

·
Registered
1996/99 gc8 WRX
5 Posts
fabricate some new tabs, and use some stainless steel rivets to hold them in place. I cut out the old ones for a proper fitment, but you could just cut out the old ones and relocate them. Would probably be ideal to weld them in, but rivets seem to do the job just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.