Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first Subaru. Bought it September, 2013. Just two days after selling my first car (and love) -- a 93 Acura Integra. I had always loved 2 door Subarus and after falling in love with a Subie man and his Subaru family, I knew I didn't have any other choice but to get a Subaru. At first I only wanted a coupe. After looking for quite some time and seeing the prices, I decided to branch out. It was then that I figured out that the 4 door Imprezas are the same wheel base and actually lighter. I could always do a 2.5 swap later. Thus, the love of my Darth Vader began.

Red 1995 Subaru Impreza L for $1300. Wrecked. The previous owner had ran it into a steel mailbox. Needed a new fender, bumper, hood, windshield, passenger side doors, side mirror, and the kicker panel was/is damaged. The car came with a Rallitek intake, black and blue 02-03 WRX front and rear seats, RS grill and RS headlights.

The gist of it is I put a frankenmotor, manual transmission, and exhaust in the car. Now we're in the process of doing an EJ205 swap.

What I've done to the car:

Interior:
Purple/pink LED dash & HVAC lights
White LED dome light
New stereo, speakers, sub & amp
Momo Steering Wheel
JDM center console cubby/arm rest

Exterior:
Side view mirror
Fender
RS Hood
RS Bumper
Hella glass fog lights with 5000k HIDs (Disconnected as light scatter was horrid)
Aftermarket side skirts
Coupe wing
Entire car Plastidipped black
Nexen N 7000 tires
17"x7" MB Weapons wheels
Pink "Impreza" badge on front
Pink Subaru star badge on rear
Depo clear corner lights with LEDs
Clear side/fender marker lights
6000k (bluish white) HIDs in headlights

Brakes:
Rear drum to disc conversion
04 WRX Brakes front and rear

Suspension:
KYB Struts with H&R lowering springs
20 mm rear sway bar with Whiteline bushings
Audi solid rear end links

Exhaust:
For frankenmotor swap: [Unequal length header
Catless midpipe with resonator
2.5" custom catback
Offbrand 4" can muffler]
For EJ205 swap: **3" Turbo back no name exhuast
4.5" can muffler**

Transmission:
A/T swapped to 96 Outback 4.11 close ratio M/T
**Swapped 96 Outback M/T for 95 JDM Sti 4.11 M/T**
Duralast clutch and flywheel (for frankenmotor)
**Swapped for Exedy stock clutch, resurfaced stock flywheel**
ExtraS (unicorn piss) gear oil/tranny fluid
Shifter stay bushings
Megan Racing Group N transmission mount and pitch stopper

Under The Hood:
**Frankenmotor**
Stock air box with Spectre filter (kept Rallitek intake tube)
New starter, alternator, and battery
Megan Racing Group N motor mounts
Legacy SS Crossmember
Delta Street Cams
Upgraded coil pack
Completely rebuilt 25D shortblock with:
--Polished crank
--ACL main and rod bearings
--Teflon coated pistons
--Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley
Intake manifold spacers
New oil pan
New water pump and timing gears/sprockets/belt

**EJ205**
Cobb SF intake
2002 EJ205 longblock with less than 100k miles on it
VF28
FMIC
New WRX Radiator
Mac Valve
MAF Relocation for Speed Density Tune
TGV Deletes
Turbo Inlet
Gates Racing Timing Kit

How it looked when freshly bought:

How it's looking now:

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, so here's the EJ205 out of a 2002 WRX that we picked up. Less than 100k miles on it.

The beautiful VF 28:

The top mount we WERE going to run...

Starting to disassemble. We had no idea the thing was still full of oil... so that was fun.

TGV delete. Ain't nobody got time for that. ;)

And because I like some color in my engine bay....

Sexy-ass muffler. Because racecar.

WRX radiator with slim fans. Always get stuck with the radiator. Hehe. Oh, the radiator fit right in with NO modifications, BTW. Yay for Impreza!

Aaanndd THIS is the intercooler we ended up going with.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting to look more put together.

Well, hello there, Mr. Turbo. :D

Painted the intercooler. I kinda really like it.

Painted the pipes... which was a terrible, terrible idea. At least that particular paint. It chipped off and stuck to the couplers. NO BUENO

Here's some more of the motor. Because I'm in love. <3

And of course we went with a Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit. I get a mad discount through my work.

Dat fitment doe.

Fabrication/mocking up/install of FMIC core.

Yes, I drove around with a "fake mount" for a few weeks.

Goodbye WRX wheels. Hello, 17x7 MB Weapons. Color isn't right, yet. Gonna go gunmetal. Downside, the rub. LOL

The car/swap came together pretty fast all-in-all.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THE SWAP BEGINS.

Bye-bye frankenmotor.

1995 JDM STI 5 speed. Got a GREAT deal on it. Using an Exedy stock replacement clutch.

Resurfaced, stock WRX flywheel:

A lift would have been nice.

Prepped and ready to go. Timing covers and Crank pulley on.

Some minor modifications had to be done to the FMIC piping to make it fit and to get the right angle. NOT FUN.

See, scuffed paint. Haha

Intake on, coolant resevoir mounted.

GrimmSpeed MAF block-off plate. We're relocationg to a pipe on the FMIC so we can run Speed Density tune.

Exhaust looked great, no issues mounting up whatsoever. We used longer, polyurethane hangers.

Tiny modification needed to the downpipe.

Lower radiator hose... the FMIC really effed up fitment. LOL

Ta-Da.

Dash out! waiting on the harness....

And that's where we're at. Still working out some fitment issues with the BPV hoses and battery. But, really, we're just waiting on our harness merge!!! Can't wait.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, we got our harness! Yay! Looked fantastic. Another great job by iWire. We were able to run it through the firewall with minimal issues.

Had to run some of the harness through the fender.

And it's back to looking like a cluster. Haha. Luckily everything mounted great and is nicely tucked.

Finally got the dash back on minus the center console pieces (apparently it's got like 7 different components and is a pain in the ass.lol.) Got the gauge pod mounted and wires ran, just need to hook them up to power and ground.
Because of my curved dash, the pod doesn't quite mount right with the double-sided sticky tape, so we're gonna try some velcro.

We're so close!! Finishing up the gauges tomorrow and hopefully gonna get some final touches done everything put back on/back together.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a video of the first start!! :D

The power steering pump is making a god awful noise. Hopefully we can fix it so we don't have to try to find a new one. The "whining" noise after it's turned off is the turbo (ball bearing.)

·
Registered
01 white GF
2,337 Posts
I have to ask because I'm a painter, did you prep those intercooler pipes before you painted them? Hit them with some 220 grit sand paper and rub them down with thinner to get dust/oil/grease off them and the paint will probably bond better. But I am jealous of that swap. Someday I'll have one too.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WhiteScooby, yes we did sand the pipes but it wasn't abrasive enough. Plus, we didn't give them long enough to cure or use a clear coat. Sadly.

JaeILV2, Thanks!!

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the rest of the dash is in. Glove box, center console, all the vents, etc. And the gauges are wired in!

Took 2 exhaust videos. Didn't get one with the silencer in but it actually does a pretty good job. This is just at idle, no start up, and no revving. (The two videos play one after the other)

I took it down the street to get gas and oh boy! Even out of boost that is going to be a fun car to drive. :)
We got our standard codes we were expecting, TGVs, fuel level, fuel temp, evap, and boost control solenoid. Nothing to be concerned about.
We're going to bleed the clutch again because right now, pedal isn't engaging until RIGHT above the floor. It makes it hard to drive.
We replaced an o-ring on the power steering pump and the noise seems to be gone and there are no more air bubbles in the power steering resevoir, so fingers crossed that that problem is fixed!!

Really all that's left is possible finding a different solution for the lower radiator hose and the bpv hose. And obviously some cosmetics.
But if we get our base-map ECU from our tuner (we need a flash for TGV deletes and bigger injectors), we'll hopefully get it tuned next week!

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L/RS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have to re-route the amp wire (the fat red one you see floating in the pics) and I haven't tucked my radar detector wiring yet. So still some cleaning up to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
very cool build man! I just recently bought an 01 L for 2800 with partial 05 interior. Im not sure about doing a swap because the EJ22 is pretty strong even with 184k on the clock.

Im gonna stay tuned to see how she turns out.

·
Registered
08 Legacy, 93 L w/ej20g
1,230 Posts
good luck with the troubleshooting! I was lucky enough back in 06 that my swap started right up and drove fine right after first start. i hit boost and it was just smile from ear to ear...

thats what a turbo and 100 extra hp over the ej22 will do!

youre almost there!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts