Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had head gaskets replaced in 2002 Outback at 40k mileage. Noticed that soon afterwards the reservoir had a dark brown/green color to the coolant ... the texture is not oily, however. Car is at 45k mileage now. The car runs fine, there are no leaks nor smells, and the thermostat shows the car temp running at normal efficinecy temp. Obviously the system was flushed and refilled at the time of gasket replacement. Why woud the coolant in the res be dark greenish-brown in color ? Helpful comments greatly apreciated. JS

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
I know that when i was working at subaru, when we did coolant flushes we put in this green brown **** out of a little blue bottle in the coolant. Possibly he put it in the reservior? idk, if it looks like a chocolate milkshake, its oil, if its got little chunks, its that additive stuff... Welcome to RS25

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depends on the coolant, some coolant turns brownish when its becoming corroded, I am assuming its not since you had it replaced 5k miles ago

You should be fine.

how would he be fine with dark brown coolant? Curiouse to see why you think that?

just because it was flushed and head gaskets replaced doesnt mean the tech didnt F up. It happens I see it all the time.

I dont know what the dealer used for coolant so cant give you a judgment on it, but Id say oils sneaking in. I would say a rusty water pump would do it, some older cars ive seen it on. But not within 5k miles, how many months/years has it been?

If you have the "fix coolant leak" crap you put into the radiator, get that flushed out asap. That has a tendancy to build up over time and seal up passages causing the motor to over heat. No one try to tell me they have had this in there cars for years and blah blah works fine blah blah. Ive had to replace numerouse parts due to that crap!

The best thing to do is drive it back to the place that did your head gaskets and ask them to have a different tech to look at the coolant and get there judgment. Most times the dealer will do the work over again, if you did it well have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts